INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST: Remote command for Frame-by-Frame  (Read 1021 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
FEATURE REQUEST: Remote command for Frame-by-Frame
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:20:54 pm »

Will JRiver please add remote commands for the following playback features?

1. Frame-by-Frame (1 frame forward and 1 frame backward)
2. Play All (accessible via the Theater View Roller)

Frame by frame is a great feature, but it effectively does not exist for Theater View/Remote Control users because it requires special keystrokes that a regular remote can't generate.

Play All is only accessible by many button presses to go up and access the roller menu.  It would be nice to have 1-button access.

This is a small thing to ask, and is non-disruptive to anything else.

In general, it would be the preferred practice that when new playback features are added that are accessible via keyboard, if they cannot be accessed by OSD they should also be given remote command equivalents, so that users with remote controls can also benefit.

Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Remote command for Frame-by-Frame
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:59:43 am »

Remote controls have very little buttons, all of which already server a purpose. How would we ever fit all features on there? :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

audunth

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 08:19:12 am »

Under Remote Control, there is a list of remote control commands that any remote user can pick from to customize their remote. I don't understand the problem of adding these commands to that list, making them available so remote users like myself can program them to a remote? On my remote, I have search/skip buttons on either siden of the Play button, which I almost never use in MC, because I the remote also has arrows, so I use left and right arrows to jump back/forward (for video) and skip (for music). I would put the One frame forward on the skip forward button, and One Key frame backward on the skip back button.

And I don't think I've ever seen a remote without a pause button...and since MC uses the same button for Play/Pause that's a button that could serve as One Frame forward too.

Shouldn't the remote control command list be kept up to date to contain all commands in MC that can be used when playing media? So that every user can configure their own remote? Isn't the whole idea of using a remote to avoid having to pick up the keyboard when listening to music or watching a movie?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:53:51 am »

If you have a learning/universal remote, which has "soft keys" with labels, you can have pages and pages, and pages of commands with easy to read labels on them.

The Harmony 665 is one popular example of a remote like this.

Achieving relatively full control of MC, via a handheld IR remote (which is not a keyboard or mouse) is a goal of mine.  I would expect that many people would like MC to operate closer to a home theater component than a computer.  Remote control is a large part of that experience.

Generalizing the remote control capability of MC to do any MC function that can be mapped to a keyboard key would seem like a natural thing to me.  I think it would be fantastic!  :)

Doing this one function at a time, as people ask for it, seems like the wrong approach to me.

Brian.

wer

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:41:06 pm »

Hi Hendrik,

As Brian points out, more sophisticated remotes now have soft buttons, so they can have an arbitrarily long list of functions.

Managing how many buttons they have, or how to map the functions they want onto a limited set of buttons, is the responsibility of the user.  Just like F-Keys on a keyboard. You don't need to give these functions a pre-defined key assignment; just making them available as commands is enough.

After all, the music industry didn't stop producing music when we ran out of slots in our CD changers!

Remote users aren't asking for more functions.  We just asking for access to the functions you already have.

Thanks,

Will

wer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 12:42:48 pm »

So are remote users to be out of luck on this?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 06:52:06 pm »

So far, as a user of a Harmony Hub/Ultimate, I've yet to get MC to recognize any IR remote commands other than the standard Windows Media Center remote allows. That means if you want to map an MCWS command to a remote, you have to wipe out an existing WMC remote button in MC. In other words, no one has shown exactly how to get JRiver MC to LEARN/see any non-WMC IR signals, which my Harmony remote has thousands of (that my PC can see using windows IR signal utility).
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 12:28:47 pm »

I will look into this some time when I get a chance.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

wer

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 12:53:14 pm »

Thank you, Yaobing.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 07:31:47 pm »

It's not just adding the Frame-by-Frame command into the MC Remote functions, it is this:

In other words, no one has shown exactly how to get JRiver MC to LEARN/see any non-WMC IR signals, which my Harmony remote has thousands of (that my PC can see using windows IR signal utility).

I've been asking for that for years. It is a simple thing, and enables us to do much more in MC with our remotes. The IR Blaster function apparently can learn non-WMC IR commands. The learn function can not.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 07:42:31 pm »

Sure that would be nice.  It would require some work.

Just making the existing frame by frame commands accessible, so that we can override an existing unused button if we want to, is trivial.

jachin99

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 08:39:14 am »

While you'ew in there I believe I have seen some of the existing basic commands missing from the it learning wizard.  I think on newer versions there is no option to map the tv guide button for example.  Also it would be nice to add power and sleep to the existing recognized button presses.  Right now I have to use eventghost for this because mc doesn't see my power button press when I to map that to ir blasts that power my equipment on and off via mc's external equipment control capabilities
Pages: [1]   Go Up