INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPEG?  MOV?  (Read 1368 times)

gkerber

MPEG?  MOV?
« on: May 08, 2003, 04:53:53 pm »

I tried to import some mpg, and mov files and MC9 does not import them.

If I double click on a mov file, it does bring up MC, but it does not play.

mpg files are not MC files.

Is there some plug in I need that I can't find?

gkerber

Re: MPEG?  MOV?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 05:01:01 pm »

More Info

I associated mpg and mov files with MC.

Double clocking on a mpg file does play it.  But the audio is not directed to the same sound card as my music files??

I cannot import any mpg or mpeg files or mov files, they simply do not import, no errors, they are ignored.

If a video file is playing and I press ESC, I get back the MC screen, but the video continues to play ( I can hear the audio), how would I get the video back?

newruler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 01:07:38 am »

Just have to check, when attempting to import... did you click on Advanced and make sure that both mpeg and mov files are selected to be imported?  And as far as playing it so that you get either no sound with video or no video with sound... that probably means the video is encoded with a codec you don't have... such as DivX  or XviD....

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 07:03:27 am »

If a video file is playing and I press ESC, I get back the MC screen, but the video continues to play ( I can hear the audio), how would I get the video back?

If you mean that it's returning from full screen to the tree, you can get back to full screen by pressing Ctrl-W. Alternatively, click on Playing Now at the top of the tree and you'll see it embedded in the MC window.

Apologies if I'm patronising. Your question may be more complicated than it sounds.

gkerber

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 07:24:56 am »

No, apologies necessary, I didn't try those things, will try it tonight,  Thanks for the info.

I still can't import mpg files, MC ignores the files, but it will play them if I double click them from Windows Explorer.

I'll check to see if Quicktime is even loaded for MOV files,  But MC does import MOV files, it just won't play them.

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 07:04:52 pm »

I downloaded and installed Quicktime4.  The Quicktime program plays back my MOV files perfectly.

MediaCenter still won't import any *.mov file (or *.mpg or *.mpeg) file.

If I double click on the mov file, it displays the first frame of the video, I can move the scroll bar and see the frames, but it will not play.

Am I the only one with MOV and MPG playback/importing problems?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 11:13:04 pm »

I downloaded and installed Quicktime4.

Why QT4? The current version is 6.

I'm having no problem playing .mov files with MC on my Win98se system. I only have the QT codecs installed, but not QT Player. You can do this in two ways.

Install the current version of QT (from Apple website) and then uninstall it. You will get a dialog asking if you want to install all components. If you click "NO", only the player will be uninstalled and the codecs/plugins left behind.

Or, you can download Quicktime Alternative from this site:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

If you choose custom, it gives you the choice of installing QT6 codecs, plugin for IE6 and Media Player Classic. Media Player Classic is a knock-off of WMP6.4. I believe it's only about 600k, is way more configurable than WMP and can play just about any type of multimedia file (if you can find the codecs).

As for .mpg files, I only had trouble importing one. It was a short clip that someone sent me in an email. It would cause MC to freeze, so maybe it was corrupted somehow. All of the .mpgs that are music videos that I copied from CDs imported and playback fine. And just to be sure, you do have at least WMP7 installed, right?

Rob

gkerber

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 08:16:26 am »

Quicktime 4... I downloaded 6 but then loaded an old file I had laying around....  With Quicktime6 I can still not import mov files, but they do play fine now in MC9.  Thanks for the 4 -6 catch.

Now, still I can play mpg files by double clicking them from Explored, still cannot import them, or mov files, anyone got any suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up