INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with composition field when renaming / moving folders  (Read 465 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Issue with composition field when renaming / moving folders
« on: August 14, 2019, 04:02:59 am »

Details:
- music files are located on a NAS,: I mapped network drive z: as \\mynas\multimedia\music
- I fill the composition field of some files located under x:\classical\Beethoven\Disc_something
I can see the composition field correctly displayed in the JRiver MC tag window
I then
- rename x:\classical\Beethoven\Disc_something to x:\classical\Beethoven\Disc_something_else
After letting JRiver update the database I open the files and ...
- the composition field is now EMPTY!
For SACD ISO files other fileds are screwed up (e.g. genre) so it looks like the xml sidecar is rewritten somehow ...

MY system is as following
- QNAP TS251+ NAS
- Windows 10 media server
- JRiver 25

Please comment

thanks

p.s. I reported similar issues with tagging but I cannot really find the original posts. sorry for that
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issue wwith tagging composition field when renaming / moving folders
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 01:48:48 pm »

I believe you are renaming your files in Windows using the window file explorer tool.  If so, the behavior you see is expected.  Here's what happens:

1.  Some long time ago, you imported your files.
2.  Then you added the Composition tag to some of your songs.  MC stores this in it's database and associates it with that file.
3.  Time passes.
4.  Now you rename the files or folders using a Windows tool.
5.  MC runs auto import and it sees:
A.  Some of your files disappeared!  So it removes them from the database.  Including the composition tag.
B.  There are also some NEW files with new names it has never seen before.  So MC imports them and reads the tags from inside the files.
6.  Now you look at your library and you see mostly the same stuff.  But everything you renamed has actually been deleted and reimported by MC and thus has lost any custom tags that were not written to the actual files.

There are several things you can do it make this situation better:

1.  Instead of renaming files and folders in Windows, do it inside MC using the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.  When you do this, MC is aware of the file name and folder name changes.  So all of the fields in the database stay the same.  There's no delete and import like before.  It will just work correctly and retain all information.

2.  Turn on the option to write tags back to files when they change.
Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > update tags when file info changes

Note that this will NOT write any existing tags to the files.  You have to tell MC to write to the file with Library Tools > update tags (from library) .  Or change any value on the file and it will update all tags.

This should help keep more of your metadata inside your files.  But for certain files like WAV for example, it won't be able to write "custom" or unusual tags like Composition.  This is why I advocate for using RM&C instead of moving files externally with windows file explorer.

I hope this makes sense.

Brian.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Issue with composition field when renaming / moving folders
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 01:31:08 pm »

Thanks much for these insight. Still I do not understand why other non custum folds like soloists or instruments does not get mangled
BTW I will try the countermeasure you suggest
Regard
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 04:18:48 pm »

It gets slightly more complicated, but I can explain:

MC's database has an option, for almost every field, for whether or not it gets written to file tags.  I believe it is OFF for custom fields.  I'm glad you mentioned that it was custom!

To see the setting for each field:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage library fields > (click on the field you want to see) > Data > Save in file tags

Let me remind you that setting this option on doesn't make it write tags immediately.  They only get written when a change is made, or you explicitly tell MC to write the tags:  Library Tools > Update Tags (from library)

Good luck,

Brian.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 02:23:38 pm »

KUDO!
Thanks
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up