INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easiest way to batch convert audio files to flac  (Read 2051 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Easiest way to batch convert audio files to flac
« on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:29 pm »

I have a mix of .Wav, MP3, and I think M4a (iTunes downloads) files.  For simplicity, and tagging uniformity I would like to convert at least the .WAV, and apple tracks to FLAC, and embed artist, album, etc. information into the flac file using IDv3 tags.  What would be the best or simplest way to accomplish this via MC.  These files are on a network share that has been setup in MC via auto import.  I understand that converting from MP3 to FLAC will not enhance sound quality. 

Vocalpoint

Re: Easiest way to batch convert audio files to flac
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 01:43:46 pm »

I have a mix of .Wav, MP3, and I think M4a (iTunes downloads) files.  For simplicity, and tagging uniformity I would like to convert at least the .WAV, and apple tracks to FLAC, and embed artist, album, etc. information into the flac file using IDv3 tags.  What would be the best or simplest way to accomplish this via MC.  These files are on a network share that has been setup in MC via auto import.  I understand that converting from MP3 to FLAC will not enhance sound quality.

MC can handle this very easily using the Convert Audio function. It can convert to all formats you have mentioned. While I see you aware of sound quality - be aware of file size as well. Some conversions can lead to much bigger files than the originals.

That said - not sure why you wouldn't just want to tag these files up within MC and leave them in their native format - MC is the king of the taggers and you should be able to square everything up quickly.

Note: If the M4a's are from the Apple store - they may have DMA embedded so good luck with that.

Cheers,

VP

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 03:37:57 pm »

I actually want a different program to pickup on the tag data embedded in the files.  I don't think my m4a files have any DRM because I can play them on any device.  Thanks.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »

I actually want a different program to pickup on the tag data embedded in the files.  I don't think my m4a files have any DRM because I can play them on any device.  Thanks.

MC tags are industry standard - outside of the special ones it adds (and only it can read).

If another program is not picking up the standard tags - it's probably that program with issues.

VP

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:23:34 pm »

As indicated, you can simply highlight one or more files (could be hundreds or thousands) and then run Library Tools > Convert Format .  You can then choose the FLAC encoder, set your options, and watch it roll. 

Be sure to try this on one file first.  Make sure you get the option correct for where to put the new file and what to do (if anything) with the original.

I can understand converting WAV to FLAC because FLAC has really great tag support, while WAV has very poor tag support.  MP3 to FLAC is a little weird to me.  Because MP3 has quite good tag support; probably very close to as good as FLAC.  So, unless there's something special going on, I would probably convert everything to FLAC that is lossless, and leave the lossy files as is.

But maybe your use is really specific and you don't care about the potential confusion of FLAC files that were sourced from lossy files to start with.  Just some thoughts for you.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up