INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rule for applying DSP to different types of tracks  (Read 335 times)

led

• Recent member
Rule for applying DSP to different types of tracks
« on: August 21, 2019, 02:17:40 pm »

I would like to apply different DSP settings to different types of tracks, such as mp3's, audiobooks etc. I've saved different DSP presets but haven't been able to figure this out any further. Does anyone know how this might be done?

Many thanks

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rule for applying DSP to different types of tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 03:06:33 pm »

JRiver has two ways for doing this.  Neither one is ideal.  Forgive my brevity here, but this has been discussed many times on the forums, so I don't want to reiterate instructions that have been given many times before.

1. You can use ZoneSwitch.  Google "jriver zoneswitch".
Using this method, you can automatically redirect playback to different zones (which need not be separate output devices, it's just a separate audio configuration) based on rules.  You can create a zone (or copy an existing zone) and set all the DSP settings in the new zone however you want, and playback files through that zone automatically based on rules or tags.

This method is extremely flexible, but if forces you to maintain settings in different zones.  Changing settings in one zone does not affect other zones, so you would have to manually replicate your changes in other zones if you want to have a change be "global".  But since playback is based on a central set of rules, you can have all your files play through your normal default zone unless you specifically redirect them to a different zone via the rule.

2. You can use "per file DSP".  Google "jriver per file dsp" and look at this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91361.0

This option does not work the way you might expect, or probably want.  This method loads new DSP settings based on the DSP tag in a file.  The problem is that it does not unload or revert them back to what they were when the file is done playing.  MC does not have concept of a "default" DSP.  If you create a DSP preset called "Too much bass" and apply it to one file, and then play that file, the "Too much bass" preset will be applied to all subsequent files, unless they are also tagged with a different preset.

This means you would have to create a "standard" DSP preset, and tag every single file in your library with that preset, and then tag separately the files that you want to have a special DSP setting.  If you later decided you wanted to experiment with your standard/default DSP settings, you either have to overwrite that preset, of you have to retag all your files with the experimental setting.

If you want to use per file DSP, you have to use it for every file you have, not just the ones you want.  Per file DSP does not function as a DSP override on a file by file basis, it changes the global DSP settings, once, every time it encounters a DSP tag in a file.

JRiver refuses to address this, even though this has been requested for years and could be easily implemented.

Some people consider the per-file DSP too cumbersome to use because of those shortcomings.  Likewise, ZoneSwitch could be considered cumbersome and overkill for your specific purpose.

After looking at the material to which I referred you, post back here if you have additional questions.

Good luck, and happy DSP-ing!

led

• Recent member
Re: Rule for applying DSP to different types of tracks
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 03:21:45 pm »

Wer - thanks so much for your time and trouble, beautifully explained. I spent way too many hours puzzling over this and didn't have the magic search phrase to find the previous posts. I was thinking of a zone/playlist as well so you've got me going in the right direction.

Many thanks again.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up