INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practices for mirroring a library (and setting up)  (Read 6134 times)

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
Best practices for mirroring a library (and setting up)
« on: August 24, 2019, 09:59:50 am »

Hi All -
After playing a few months ago to see if I liked this software it's now day one of trying to implement what I want in the long term!

The main goal is this - I have a windows tablet and I plan to use that to control a stream from my NAS to the living room stereo via DNLA.
Thing is I have a billion songs and a ton of work to do which I do NOT want to do on this tiny tablet.  So I would like to do all my editing and tagging etc from my main PC.  I know that I can do this work and then create a library backup which I can load into the tablet.  Is this my only option?? Is there no way that my PC and tablet can both use a shared library with all the various groups and settings etc?

Is there a way that I can have JRiver NOT alter my files in any way?  I would like to add a grouping tag to every album but have that info reside only in the jriver library DB and not create an actual tag in the file.

Last, after loading a good ton of music I see that many artists and albums do not have images.  I think I have it set for jriver to try and find this stuff but it doesn't seem to be doing so.  Many of my albums have cover.jpg or folder.jpg and I haven't checked yet to see if jriver is using those or just ignoring them.

Thanks much for your help this is super exciting!!

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hi
Re: Best practices for mirroring a library (and setting up)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 10:29:08 am »

The main goal is this - I have a windows tablet and I plan to use that to control a stream from my NAS to the living room stereo via DNLA.
Thing is I have a billion songs and a ton of work to do which I do NOT want to do on this tiny tablet.  So I would like to do all my editing and tagging etc from my main PC.  I know that I can do this work and then create a library backup which I can load into the tablet.  Is this my only option?? Is there no way that my PC and tablet can both use a shared library with all the various groups and settings etc?

You're going to want to use a library server https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server  Run the server on your desktop and then connect to it via your tablet.

Is there a way that I can have JRiver NOT alter my files in any way?  I would like to add a grouping tag to every album but have that info reside only in the jriver library DB and not create an actual tag in the file.

If you go to Options>Library & Folders>Manage Library fields for fields you don't want written to your files there is a checkbox for "Save in file tags" if you uncheck that I believe that that MC won't write to your files.

Last, after loading a good ton of music I see that many artists and albums do not have images.  I think I have it set for jriver to try and find this stuff but it doesn't seem to be doing so.  Many of my albums have cover.jpg or folder.jpg and I haven't checked yet to see if jriver is using those or just ignoring them.

If you think that you have cover art that isn't being found, select some files, right click and choose "Cover Art>Quick find in File / Cover Art Directory"

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 10:40:40 am »

Haha I've been reading more since making that post and the server thing is what I'm currently dug into.
You are saying that my PC will need to run always though eh?  Or I guess I could always turn it on, run a sync to my tablet....and then I'm good just the same?  Could I turn my PC back off at that point and everything ok?

In some places it seems as if people have MC running actually on their NAS (which surely is running 24/7)....or am I mistaken?
That would seem ideal for me but I suppose this PC is running enough that it's not a huge deal idk.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:23:45 am »

Yes, whatever computer is hosting the library would need to be on for the tablet to access the library. 

I run my server on windows 10 virtual machine on my unraid server that is on 24/7. 

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 11:40:19 am »

So it's not possible to host and maintain the library from my Synology then?

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 11:43:59 am »

I really don't know, but it doesn't look like it.

rec head

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »

The only problem I see for running the Library server on the tablet is that not all library management can be done from a client. I use this computer to do most of my library management but my library is on a different computer. It works great most of the time but I don't get too crazy with tagging. I don't know if there is a list of what you can or can't do from a client.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 01:57:14 pm »

Well I really won't want to do any management from the tablet - only use it to select my music and just enjoy it all :)
My PC is where I would do any work.

So it's  - Keep my PC running and this is where I do all my (MC only) tagging work and then whenever I choose I can run a sync on the tablet and everything will appear the same as on my PC?  In terms of changing the actual tags when needed I'm going to stick with mp3tag as it's served me well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 02:24:21 pm »

This includes a list of what syncs and what doesn't:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

Missing from that list is the impact on Library Tools, the Locate > On Disk, and Send-To > External Menu items. Generally, theses tools that "touch the disk" only work from the Client side if you have direct filesystem access to the files on the client-side and the full path of the files matches what it is on the Server-side.

Typically, this means you need to map a network drive to your media volume, and give it the same letter as it has on your server. If this is inconvenient, you can also do this by importing the files on the server-side as a UNC path rather than a "drive letter based path". (The server will work just as happily on files imported via UNC shares even if they're "really" locally accessible on the server. And then the path will always match what the client sees so long as you're on the same LAN and the computer account has access to the share.)

A notable exception to this general rule is the Rename, Move, and Copy Files Tool, which doesn't work at all from the client-side, even if you do have your file paths set up right and all locally accessible (much to my chagrin).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rec head

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 04:30:27 pm »

Glynor, thanks for sharing that wiki. I was too lazy to look it up. Playlist deletion seems like a weird thing to not sync.

To the OP: Looking at the list of what doesn't sync ask yourself if any of those 3 things are super important.

#1 - I can say that View Customization is pretty easy to overcome unless you are making new Views all the time. You can easily save them on one PC and load them on the other. I just saved a view to my NAS then loaded it on the other computer.

#2 - Playlist deletion (again, weird it doesn't sync) but I rarely delete a playlist.

#3 - Options changes, this one makes sense. If you used the Windows tablet as your main library server then it shouldn't really matter.

Like I said, I do almost all of my management from a client and it works very well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 04:39:30 pm »

Playlist deletion seems like a weird thing to not sync.
<snip>
#2 - Playlist deletion (again, weird it doesn't sync) but I rarely delete a playlist.

Yeah. That's a relic of old info on the Wiki. I noticed it when I looked up the article too, and I thought I remembered that changing at some point. In any case, I just tested it and Playlist deletion syncs just fine with the current build of MC25 (and probably many, many versions ago).

I fixed the Wiki.

wer

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 05:20:21 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the complication here.

Windows tablet.  Windows PC for editing.  All files on NAS.  Install MC on tablet and PC.

Keep the library file itself on the NAS (if it's reliable and fast).  Open the library on the PC for editing.  When you're done editing, exit JRiver on the PC.  Open the library file on the tablet.  Use.

As long as the paths/mount-points  are the same for the tablet and PC, it will work.

No syncing.  No library copying.  Only one Windows device has write access to the library at a time.

How does it need to be more complicated than that?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 07:00:12 pm »

Putting your MC Library (the database itself) on a network share will degrade performance. Depending on the random access speed of the drive and network reliability, in many cases it has a dramatic impact. It is generally recommended to put the MC Library on a fast disk (an SSD if possible).

Also, two copies of MC can't have the same Library open in Read/Write mode. So you would have to close out MC on the desktop every time you want to use it on the tablet (and the reverse) or else the second copy to open will get the Library in Read-Only Mode.

The media files themselves, of course, can be on the NAS. And if you have any Utility Libraries that you don't care if they're occasionally super-sluggish, you can pull it off. But the Sync system works brilliantly and has for many, many years. I would not recommend "fighting the system".

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 07:21:11 pm »

One workaround is to host your library in a dropbox (or similar) folder.  That way it's local for every computer.

wer

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 07:25:08 pm »

:). Most of this thread has been talking about the complication and things that don't work with the sync system.  So it works brilliantly, except for the things that don't.

I specifically mentioned only one machine having write access at a time.  For the OP's use case, that seems like a non-issue, since he does not want to tag and edit on the tablet.

So it's about performance.  SSDS are nice, but it is not necessary for reasonable MC performance.  One of my MC systems has run without an SSD for years.

There's an easy way to do this, that avoids all the complications musicmahn is concerned about.  He can try it out and decide if the performance is acceptable.  It's the tradeoff for not having to worry about view editing, or playlists, or etc etc etc.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but the OP is insistent on doing things in his own unique fashion, so there are going to be tradeoffs.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 07:59:26 pm »

There's an easy way to do this, that avoids all the complications musicmahn is concerned about.

Yes. There is. Turn on Media Server on the Desktop, import the files on the NAS (if they're not already), enable authentication, and connect to the new Library Server from the tablet. Done and done.

Everything syncs except for "view setup" pretty much (which FWIW I find convenient, so my family members don't "mess up" my View schemes). I'm not sure what complications he's worried about that aren't handled by the Library Server setup by default. All of the stuff I was noting that requires mounting the network share were things he explicitly said he didn't need (no management from the tablet), and they're "utility tools" anyway. They'd only really come into play when you do want to do management from the tablet (which you can do, you just can't use RMCF to reorganize the files on disk). And, the point of my post was that if he does someday decides to do management from the tablet and wants those, all of them except RMCF can be accessed if he just mounts the NAS on his tablet with the same drive letter he uses on his desktop (which he's probably already done anyway, if he's using a NAS).

I may have missed something, but from my reading, he's basically intending to use it in the exact scenario that the Media Network server is designed to solve. The only weird bit is he wants MC's tag writing stuff turned off, which it can certainly do in a variety of ways that are covered thoroughly in other threads. That has no bearing on using the Library Server stuff.

And, lastly, the thread is titled “best practices”. The Best Practice is absolutely to use the Media Network stuff in these situations. If you have very specific requirements you might want to make other trade offs, but it wouldn’t be the optimal solution. As I said, don’t fight the system (unless you must).

wer

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 08:38:22 pm »

I think what you missed is he doesn't want to have to leave the PC on, and just wants to rely on the tablet and NAS when not editing.  So not the scenario Media Server was designed to solve, since he wants to be able to turn that machine off.

With what he wants, there are tradeoffs.  His question was best practices for what HE wants to do.  That conflicts with your general view of best practices in this situation.  Mine too.  I think best practice would be to let MC act as the DLNA server and do the tag editing.  Not what he wants.

Anyway, good luck.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 09:41:51 pm »

I think what you missed is he doesn't want to have to leave the PC on, and just wants to rely on the tablet and NAS when not editing.

Oh, I see. Yes, I was writing under the assumption that he'd moved past that:

but I suppose this PC is running enough that it's not a huge deal idk.

So it's  - Keep my PC running and this is where I do all my (MC only) tagging work and then whenever I choose I can run a sync on the tablet and everything will appear the same as on my PC?

But, yeah. If you don't want to keep a server up all the time, then I agree with you. The next best bets might be something like a network share or the Dropbox solution (but I'd be wary of the latter corrupting my Library when sync conflicts happen due to in-use files). The network share option can certainly be done. That's precisely what I did for years before the Library Sync feature existed (and for about a year after while I stubbornly refused to switch over to it). You're going to give up a pile of convenience and performance for that though.

If your Library is relatively small and simple, it might be fine. I'd be skeptical of performance from a network share on a NAS box though. They usually aren't exactly screamers in random access performance.

One other thing worth mentioning to the OP: There's no good reason to do manual syncs between the Library Server and the Clients. The default is automatic, and it works well. Just leave it that way unless you have a good reason for forcing the syncs manually (which is just going to mean you're going to forget and you'll lose conveniences like playstats). You do have to enable authentication (and set up a username/password) on the Server, or else all the clients will be Read-Only and won't sync anything back at all. It's no big deal to do this, though. The clients remember the credentials, so it is just a one-time setup thing.

rec head

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 08:04:11 am »

I don't know anything about Windows tablets but what is wrong with just keeping the library local on the tablet and use the PC as the client? We have covered that basically everything can be done from the client. Then the PC doesn't need to stay powered on. And because the server is on a tablet it is easy to have right next to the PC for the few times he would need to use it. Obviously the tablet would have to be powered on to connect from the PC but that shouldn't be a big deal.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 09:40:19 am »

That would work too. Depends on how frequently he uses the tablet and turns it off and whatnot.

With the Desktop PC as the server, though, he'd be able to access his Media Library remotely on the tablet when he's away from home (if he gets his port forwarded through the firewall on his router, anyway). If the tablet is the server, when the tablet is away from home, it'll be useless because it won't be able to reach the NAS.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 11:46:31 am »

Thanks for all this guys I surely have some things to try out now.  The tablet is simply my menu to play music off of.  I really wish to do no work at all with it beyond the initial setup of views etc.  The opposite is true of the PC - I wish to do all my editing there and will never control music playback from it.
Also playlists don't really matter to me so the only synching i really need is library/tag updates coming from the PC and NAS

Ah so I could point both the tablet and PC to a single library file on my NAS eh?? 
Perhaps mine wouldn't cause issue it's a ds218+ that I put an additional 4GB of RAM into so it now has 8GB?
I suppose it's worth a try either way assuming it can't "mess anything up"?

And so if I go with keeping it on my PC - Am I required to have MC open all the time too?  Or just having the PC on is enough?
Could I technically have the tablet sync with the latest greatest info and then turn my PC off and everything is fine?

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 12:46:22 pm »

Ah so I could point both the tablet and PC to a single library file on my NAS eh?? 
Perhaps mine wouldn't cause issue it's a ds218+ that I put an additional 4GB of RAM into so it now has 8GB?
I suppose it's worth a try either way assuming it can't "mess anything up"?

I've had my library saved on my unraid server for as long as I can remember and never had an issue with performance.  That said, after reading Glynor's post I have cloned my library to a local drive (using the dropbox trick I mentioned) and I am going to do some testing to see if I notice any improvement.

And so if I go with keeping it on my PC - Am I required to have MC open all the time too?  Or just having the PC on is enough?

You would not need to leave MC open all the time, there is a small server program that will run in the background.  You will need to have the PC on though.

Could I technically have the tablet sync with the latest greatest info and then turn my PC off and everything is fine?

This would not work, it's a live connection between the two computers, if you shut off the server the tablet that connection would be severed.

If you are dead set on having the ability to turn off the PC where you will be doing your tagging, then I think your best bet is to put the library folders either on your NAS or in a dropbox (or similar) folder.  Then you will just need to claim "ownership" of the library on the PC when you're doing your tagging/maintenance or on the tablet when you are doing playback.

Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd keep the PC on all the time.  It's by far the easiest solution and running a computer at idle will cost you $15-25 a year.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 04:27:47 pm »

Super thanks so much guys.

Really this PC is on a lot.
So it seems kinda moot at this point as both will achieve the same goal.

Please report back if you see an performance difference running off of the PC.
I probably will not have my deal set up in the next day or two because of .....work :(

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 12:00:24 pm »

Well, I loaded the library on my PC, it's enabled as a server and I have my access key.  I've actually had this done for some time now because I think it was necessary to stream to my chromecast.  Trying to get my tablet to load the library as a client and running into trouble.

First when I enter the access key it says "You can't add your own library. Please enter the key of a different library."
Reason for this is because i cloned all of my settings over from my PC setup. 

I then cleared my library completely on the tablet and reverted back to the old settings before i did the clone.  From the main library (now empty) I tried to sync to a library server, entered my access key, and then it started showing fast messages of trying to connect retry 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and then it stopped (with no library showing up).  Trying to do "add library" again using the access key it goes through those same attempts and then says "There was a problem loading the library.  Please ensure that your network connection is available and that the server is running properly"

I'm pretty dopey when it comes to IP addresses and LAN stuff so idk if it's some weird issue with that info changing over time?
Is there a way I can reset my Access key for that matter?

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 12:32:01 pm »

You may need to make sure that the port is open on your router.  If you don't know how to do that, google it and you will find roughly 11 billion articles explaining how :)

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 12:44:06 pm »

ah i definitely have in the past it's been awhile though.
i didn't think it was needed for the LAN connection but like i noted above this is far from my area of expertise lol

thanks will try this asap!

blgentry

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 01:00:52 pm »

You should regenerate the Access Key on your "new" server since it's a clone of your old one.  That way the new server will get "registered" correctly with the access key. 

Tools > Options > media network > access key > (click) > reset

Good luck.

Brian.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 01:06:35 pm »

No luck :(

Opened the port, tried a new access key
I'm not getting all the retries anymore but it pauses and moment and then gives me the same error message.
I also tried putting in the IP:Port but that's giving the same result.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 01:36:15 pm »

Reason for this is because i cloned all of my settings over from my PC setup.

How?

You can certainly clone the settings on a copy of Media Center, but you have to do it via the Library Backup/Restore process. If you cloned it manually by regedit, it is going to make you sad (because there are a handful of unique identifiers buried in the settings which need to be reset when cloning and the Backup/Restore system takes care of for you). If you did this, I'd recommend doing it again on the Client, but doing it right this time (using a Library Backup).

Opening the port on your router only matters if you're trying to access your Library Server from outside of your LAN. If you're at home on the same network as the server, this won't matter. For stuff like this, it is usually best to tackle things one step at a time (so you know what broke it if something breaks). So, undo any of the router-side Port Forwarding you set up and get it working within your LAN/Wifi network first. Tackle accessing the Server from outside your network after you know it works inside.

Note: This assumes you're not operating in some kind of ill-advised double-router situation (where your client is on a separate wifi network which is firewalled off from your wired LAN). If you do have such a setup (with multiple routers involved) then you'll probably need to explain more to get valid advice.

First, make sure you reset the Access Key on the client, as Brian explained above. If you're concerned you might have mucked this up, just reset it on all of the systems (it won't hurt anything as you don't have any clients connected yet). The client doesn't even need to have the Media Network stuff enabled at all (unless you also want to be able to remotely-control the client machine for some reason, but I'd tackle that as a second step later). So, just turn off Options > Media Network > Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA on the Client (for now at least).

Then, on the Client device, you want to add a new Library and enter the Access Key from the Server (and then enter the username and password you set up in the authentication settings on the server when prompted).

If it doesn't connect, you might, depending on your specific security settings on the Server, need to open the port on the Windows Firewall on the server (though this is not typically required so long as you allowed MC on the network when you first ran it). If you're just using the built in Windows Defender Firewall, follow these instructions to open TCP port (UDP isn't required for MCWS). The default port is 52199 if you didn't change it under Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port. If you use a third-party security suite, you'll need to figure out how to tame it on your own, but you can try just disabling it temporarily to confirm that's the issue if you're having trouble.

Absinthe

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2019, 04:11:04 pm »

If your Library is relatively small and simple, it might be fine. I'd be skeptical of performance from a network share on a NAS box though. They usually aren't exactly screamers in random access performance.

This may be one of those YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) depending on application and equipment??  I have three clients using a single server with no issues, even when all three are in use

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2019, 04:22:50 pm »

You may be misunderstanding my comment. I mean only keeping the Library itself (with a capital L): MC's database files made up of (primarily) JMD files.

Keeping the media files themselves on your NAS is not only fine, it would certainly be recommended.

And, yes, it certainly is a case of YMMV. If your NAS is very fast even for random access, and/or your Library itself is relatively simple it may perform just fine with the Library itself on a network volume. I do keep my main Server's Library shared out, so that the clients can load it directly if needed, but mine is stored on an SSD in the server so that it's access to the database is fast (I just shared that separately).

When I access mine remotely over the network, it performs adequately for simple tasks, but some of my fancy smartlists are substantially slower to load.

If you're just using the built-in Media Network system, then you don't need to bother to put the Library on the NAS with the media files. Because the Server makes it available to the clients directly when they connect, and they keep their own cached copy (which is then periodically synced back). Of course, if you're using Media Network, even your media files don't need to be on an accessible share (though it is often convenient for the file-management reasons I explained above).

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2019, 05:01:21 pm »

Please report back if you see an performance difference running off of the PC.

I ran it for about a week with the library on a local drive.  I noticed no significant improvement in speeds at all.  I put it back on my unraid server and it didn't feel sluggish after being local for a week.  I have a pretty big library, with a little over 200,000 files. Of course, YMMV.

Absinthe

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 05:28:07 pm »

You may be misunderstanding my comment. I mean only keeping the Library itself (with a capital L): MC's database files made up of (primarily) JMD files.

Keeping the media files themselves on your NAS is not only fine, it would certainly be recommended.

And, yes, it certainly is a case of YMMV. If your NAS is very fast even for random access, and/or your Library itself is relatively simple it may perform just fine with the Library itself on a network volume. I do keep my main Server's Library shared out, so that the clients can load it directly if needed, but mine is stored on an SSD in the server so that it's access to the database is fast (I just shared that separately).

When I access mine remotely over the network, it performs adequately for simple tasks, but some of my fancy smartlists are substantially slower to load.

If you're just using the built-in Media Network system, then you don't need to bother to put the Library on the NAS with the media files. Because the Server makes it available to the clients directly when they connect, and they keep their own cached copy (which is then periodically synced back). Of course, if you're using Media Network, even your media files don't need to be on an accessible share (though it is often convenient for the file-management reasons I explained above).

Glynor, Roderick
Your comment above and in a related post regarding JMD files and the Library itself (Id call it the Library structure without the media files but tomato-tamahto) were the final whack to my head that I needed.  I just finished an experiment that gave me the best results thus far.  I used the Server to clone the library and stored the clone on a dedicated directory on my NAS.  Then I went to the stand alone copy of MC and loaded the library clone.  I ripped a fresh disk, loaded the AMG Album ID, Discogs Release ID and performed a metadata scrape from both sources.  When I went over and imported the tracks, everything was there!!! 8) 8)

Now I can ixnay my plans to move my MC server out of its dark place  and rip from a stand alone MC installation and import via remote desktop connection.  This removes about 95% of the reasons Id use dBpoweramp for ripping.  Thanks for your persistence, appreciate the commentary :)

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 10:04:50 am »

glynor!

Windows firewall did it!
Lol now THAT is one i never messed with - I've only played with my verizon router's firewall.
Is it bad to have both running?  Verizon surely never told me otherwise.

Anyway I loaded the library.....time to roll up the sleeves to test and tweak!!
Thanks so much this is exciting :)

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2019, 01:52:37 pm »

Ugh.....a bit of help i'm sorry it's unrelated to the topic.

I've been plowing through releases and adding a grouping tag to them for some dumb reason thinking this wasn't affecting the files but sure enough i see it has.
There are the tags I'm creating and also a tool tag saying media center and idk what.

-How can I have it that these tags only affect the jriver library and NOT the actual files?
-Any ideas on how i can reverse all that I've done so I can get my files back to how they should be? :(

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 02:14:19 pm »

-Any ideas on how i can reverse all that I've done so I can get my files back to how they should be? :(

Restore a library backup, select all files, right-click>library tools>update tags (from library)

-How can I have it that these tags only affect the jriver library and NOT the actual files?

For all tags: Edit>Deselect "Update Tags when File Info Changes"
For specific tags: Options>Library & Folders>Manage Library Fields>Select a pertinent field> Deselect "Save in file tags (if possible)"

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 06:07:07 pm »

thanks for for step 1!

for the going forward i would like it to update tags when I physically make changes to them with other software.
but in jriver i'm going to use the "grouping" tag on everything and prefer that info to only exist within the library.
I also see "tool name - media center"  and "tool version 25.0.98" as well which I wish to not create.

i will have time to play with this on the weekend thx again :)

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 11:01:58 am »

OK so riddle me this -

Currently it appears that I can only get my library loaded when JRiver is open on my PC.
Earlier in this thread it was stated that I only needed the PC running and the media server would still run in the background.
I wouldn't think there is a setting that affects this.

Anyone have any ideas?

wer

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 11:27:56 am »

See the section on Windows Startup here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Startup_Settings

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 12:04:51 pm »

ah i see the setting and will test it out later today.

you guys are the best  :)

wer

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 04:59:41 pm »

My thought is it's a month later and a totally different question, so you should delete your new post and start an new thread with an accurate title, so it will get some attention. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up