INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver hangs when I tune to the weather channel  (Read 818 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
JRiver hangs when I tune to the weather channel
« on: September 04, 2019, 05:38:00 pm »

I'm having an issue where when I tune to the weather channel from another channel, the picture for the weather channel doesn't show, and the audio in the original channel I'm changing from gets stuck in a loop like a scratched CD.  As far as I can tell all of my channels are MPEG2, and I'm unable to get the debug menu to show in madvr by pressing ctrl+j.  What can I do to troubleshoot?  thanks. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: JRiver hangs when I tune to the weather channel
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:17:11 pm »

So if you tune to the weather channel without first tuning to another channel, it works?

Does it work if you use RO Std?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:38:43 pm »

Alright, so here is a little more info.  I tested as you suggested, and I don't have the issue when I switch to RO standard.  I should also point out that I can press stop, and stop the currently playing TV channel, then switch to the weather channel, and things play fine under all circumstances.  Here is the kicker though, when I use the onscreen mini-guide (Pressing up, then over until I reach the weather channel, then OK to tune it) to change channels to the weather channel even with MadVR it switches fine, and channel changes seem much smoother overall using this method.  When I go from watching a different channel fullscreen then back out to the TV guide, and select the weather channel from the guide, I get the skipping mentioned above with madvr enabled but not RO standard.  Does this help narrow things down?  Thanks.  Overall if channel changes were as smooth from the full guide as they were from the mini guide then TV would be a better experience.

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 04:40:45 pm »

Any ideas about what might cause this?  Has anyone had a chance to look at it?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:11:00 pm »

It is difficult to figure things out when I could not reproduce the problem.  I did try a few times but it all works fine on my computer.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jachin99

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 08:27:42 am »

I worked on this a little bit more today, and I'm still having the same issue.  I'm not sure if it is a difference in video cards or what but here are some observations.  With RO standard enabled, I don't have any real issues with channel changes.  With ROHQ enabled, I get the windows loading circle, and screen tearing when backing out to the guide to change channels, and they take a little longer.  I disabled antialiasing, and mipmaps for downscaling, and this improved the situation a little bit but not much.  It can still take five or ten seconds for MC to change channels when backing out to the guide in order to do so.  Using the miniguide things are much quicker but each channel change might still take two or three seconds.  I'm not expert but it seems to me that there might be a conflict between the Open GL graphics engine for theaterview, and MadVR.  Maybe OpenGL, and DirectX don't play well together?  I don't know. 

I'm also using a AMD RX580 so that might be a key difference between our two PCs.  Aside from all of this channel changes are slow in JRiver overall with both video renderers so I'm wondering if there is a way to speed things up?
Pages: [1]   Go Up