INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Directions to Pursue  (Read 13460 times)

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
Re: Important Directions to Pursue
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »

If you haven't done so, try the links in the upper right corner of Playing Now:

Amazon   AMG   Google   Images   Wiki   YouTube

Please be specific about what they are missing.
Can you expand on that?

On Android, we have Gizmo and JRiver for Android.  Panel also works. 

There are third party apps.

The links are just that- links to pages from those sites for the album/artist I have selected. I am looking for the ability to search or setup playlists in my library based on metadata from Allmusic (etc).  For example, I'd like to search my library for Rick Rubin or Laura Mvula and have it return all albums/tracks that those people were involved with (as producer, guest artist, session musician, etc.).  Adding all of the possible credits for each track in one's library would be a massive undertaking- but services like AllMusic already catalog such info.  If MC could match the music from my library with the entries from their database and search their database and return results in my library that would be pretty amazing.  As I intimated, I would expect this to cost more money (perhaps a lots more).  I can currently do this with Roon, but I'd rather not have two different music players. I know this is a big ask.

As for Android, let me first make it clear that I am happy user of MC and have been paying for it and upgrades for several years now.  That said, when you compare the JRiver Android apps to say the Android Plex client or a music player like Poweramp they are lacking in functionality and stability. Local and remote are split across the Gizmo and JRiver app, the JRiver app itself has limited format support (opus is missing in particular) and way too basic an interface, Gizmo hasn't been updated in years (and doesn't seem to like Android Q). As Android was listed as a possible focus in the OP, I thought I would pile on.  A single JRiver Android app that could serve as a great player of music on the local device as well as connect to my JRiver Media Server (and show me my custom views, etc) would be very nice- and again, something I would pay extra for.  My focus is on the phone level, but I would think this might apply to other Android platforms as well.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2019, 07:08:42 pm »

2. If your not doing an overhaul of TheatreView (which seems unlikely given how many years we've asked for this) how about at least improving movie overlays when you bring up bottom overlay in display view with coverart and media info (ie 1080P H264 DTS-HDMA 7.1 PG and rating with movie cover artwork)  AND player transport controls.

+1

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2019, 09:33:39 am »

With the growing prevalence of 4K displays combined with 1080p source content, I think it would be good to retest some of the NGU profiles in madVR.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2019, 09:17:26 pm »

Any chance of chromecast and airplay support as functional zones?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2019, 11:05:50 pm »

Hi everyone!  ;D

I'm not going to get into a bunch of background because Jim asked to keep this concise, but I'll say this much: I use Plex for mobile video playback, and MC for all home and computer based playback. My daughter (who is 8, I know) is effectively an expert at navigating the entire Home Theater UI on our TV. She uses Plex on her iPad constantly, and uses JRemote for music. Both apps hit her Parental Controls implemented time limits every day. I'm posting this because I told my daughter I'd ask, and this seemed like the perfect thread in which to put this. If you'd like more background, point me to another thread and I'd be happy to expound in my typical style.

The thing I would like to see more than anything, blue-sky oriented, is simple but complicated: Fix video playback on JRemote (for iOS).

To switch from Plex to JRemote, I'd need:
  • When I tap play on a video file in my library and it opens, I must be able to fast-forward and rewind to different locations in the file (within a few seconds of playback starting) via the slider and via 20 sec back/30 sec forward buttons. This is table-stakes. I can't use it the way it behaves for me now.
  • Bookmarking support that works and resumes where you left off. Ideally, inter-operates with MC on the desktop's system so if I stop on the TV and then open my iPad and play the same file, it resumes.
  • Reliable, somewhat fault-tolerant streaming over the WAN to mobile clients "in the field".
  • Offline file playback support. Minimum would be for a way to manually select and download files, and then manually manage/delete the downloads on a file-by-file basis. That is basically what my daughter uses in Plex (though it has some limited and annoying auto-downloading support). An ideal solution would let me select playlists and then JRemote would use the background update API to update itself in the middle of the night while her iPad is plugged in on the nightstand. But, I'd take manual and relatively rudimentary, honestly.
That's what I, and Anika, need more than anything else. No other product currently provides a great experience for us who still want to have our own content libraries, and I think there's a market opportunity. Plex is kind-of there for video, but is really annoying in many ways where MC shines. MC is fantastic for audio on mobile (though my last point I really want for audio too), but is effectively unusable for us for video.

Thanks for listening!

PS. I would pay a subscription for this. I pay Plex $40 per year. Obligatory reference.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2019, 11:52:35 pm »

I'll add to that, do the same for JRemote for Android, and bring it up to equivalency to the iOS version, and I'll buy it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2019, 12:03:41 am »

Regarding glynor's very good post (with which I agree completely):

There's a PC/Mac/IOS app that I've been using for years called AirVideo HD.

It works very reliably and smoothly, and does 100% of what glynor wants.  They've got streaming down pat.

Maybe JRiver should just buy them...

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2019, 07:56:29 am »

• Offline file playback support. Minimum would be for a way to manually select and download files, and then manually manage/delete the downloads on a file-by-file basis. That is basically what my daughter uses in Plex (though it has some limited and annoying auto-downloading support). An ideal solution would let me select playlists and then JRemote would use the background update API to update itself in the middle of the night while her iPad is plugged in on the nightstand.
New app for iOS MO 4Media (not affiliated with JRiver) supposed to be able to do download for offline playback ... and it is subscription base

I downloaded it but have not given it try yet

I run Plex myself just for this (lifetime membership) and only for this
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2019, 04:58:25 am »

I'll add to that, do the same for JRemote for Android, and bring it up to equivalency to the iOS version, and I'll buy it.

People keep saying that but never elaborate what that actually means.

In any case, I've been working on JRemote for Android to bring it into 2019, watch out for early beta testing and feedback gathering soon-ish, so we can figure out what those "equivalency" things primarily are. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2019, 06:05:11 am »

Still waiting on SSA/ASS subtitles to be able to watch anime on MC

tried converting those to SRT ... whatta mess unless willing spend days to clean that mess
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2019, 06:15:38 am »

In any case, I've been working on JRemote for Android to bring it into 2019, watch out for early beta testing and feedback gathering soon-ish
This is great!

DJLegba

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2019, 07:23:30 am »

In any case, I've been working on JRemote for Android to bring it into 2019, watch out for early beta testing and feedback gathering soon-ish, so we can figure out what those "equivalency" things primarily are. :)

Fix the POSIX date display
Add "View Extras"
Fix the random crashes when reordering or editing "playing now" or playlists

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2019, 07:44:26 am »

Add "View Extras"
Yep, plenty has been said and also concrete things like this during the years. At least I haven't bothered to spend my time to report anything about JRemote anymore as it was said to have no new development.

So it was great news that Hendrik's has been working with that now and also with the OSD in the main program

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2019, 08:20:33 am »

Add "View Extras"
Fix the random crashes when reordering or editing "playing now" or playlists

Save those for the upcoming JRemote feedback threads later this summer, otherwise it'll just get lost. :)
Still some groundwork to cover before its ready to show and get feedback on.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 09:26:01 am »

At least I haven't bothered to spend my time to report anything about JRemote anymore as it was said to have no new development.
For the record, we've not said that.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2019, 12:01:56 pm »

Still waiting on SSA/ASS subtitles to be able to watch anime on MC

We're still planning to do this. Should hopefully be not that much longer, possibly in August.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2019, 04:50:43 pm »

Excellent. If Glynor's requests make it into the update, even better.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2019, 03:08:15 am »

We're still planning to do this. Should hopefully be not that much longer, possibly in August.

Yessssss ... SSA/ASS prepared to be integrated !!!

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2019, 06:13:40 am »

For the record, we've not said that.
Well you have rejected all the feature /glitch fix ideas during the years by saying that you are satisfied with JRemote and that nothing is planned for it. Last update for android is from early 2016.

Anyway glad that something is now happening in there also. Hopefully also secure connection like in Panel is implemented so VPN is not needed anymore to be safe.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2019, 07:18:06 am »

Well you have rejected all the feature /glitch fix ideas during the years by saying that you are satisfied with JRemote and that nothing is planned for it.
For the record again, I don't think we've ever "rejected" anything or said we're "satisfied".  We just have more requests than it's possible to fulfill.

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2019, 02:35:07 pm »

2. If your not doing an overhaul of TheatreView (which seems unlikely given how many years we've asked for this) how about at least improving movie overlays when you bring up bottom overlay in display view with coverart and media info (ie 1080P H264 DTS-HDMA 7.1 PG and rating with movie cover artwork) 

I would love this too. I mainly use JRM for watching movies and series. All works great, but I would love a bit more modern feel. Fine tune it so to say.

WolfAudioSystems

• Recent member
  • It can always sound better
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2019, 09:02:43 pm »

Subitles Issue I'd like to bump this particular statement up the chain if possible. I've just recently started using 24 and playing with 25 (had 22 and 23 in day-to-day) and both exhibit this behavior. Initially i thought it was my old television, but now I've seen the same behavior on a 2019 TV and a 2018 projector. I am happy with all the other changes, but this one is troublesome.

The subtitle renderer needs work.
It cannot handle complex subtitles, so it ends up covering the screen in garbage and dropping frames whenever a subtitle is displayed.
Every other media player that I have tried - even free iOS clients (since video playback has been broken in JRemote for years now) - has had no issue rendering these subtitles correctly.

Wolf Audio Systems - Wolf Alpha II - Audiophile HTPC
Arcam AVR450 - Ayre Codex - Kef R series - Tributaries Series 8 Cabling

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2019, 08:54:30 am »

Subitles Issue I'd like to bump this particular statement up the chain if possible. I've just recently started using 24 and playing with 25 (had 22 and 23 in day-to-day) and both exhibit this behavior. Initially i thought it was my old television, but now I've seen the same behavior on a 2019 TV and a 2018 projector. I am happy with all the other changes, but this one is troublesome.

i believe they are working on it ... expected update is in August (see Hendrick comments earlier)... finger crossed :)

Ekpen

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2019, 02:12:33 pm »

Good to know that you are making plans to improve JRemote for Android.
It needs external video playback capability .similar to what MO4media has.
I used vlc for Android,
This vlc has excellent bookmarking.
The vlc features could be built in to JRemote directly.
I hope a reworked JRemote and JRiver for Android will also have Android TV gui, so that we can install directly on the Sony Android tvd.
Also we need a very intuitive theater is remote control.
There was a theater view remote when JRemote was first introduced, I do not know why it was removed.
I recently purchased Sony Xperia 1, would love to test JRemote and or JRiver for Android..
I hope uhd playback will be improved so that we can enjoy 4k with no buffering.
The 4k buffering stopping, pausing etc has been going on since 2017,
My three new servers for Ubuntu and Android Oses hopefully will be ready soon.
As of yesterday I just fitted the Butterfinger server with Nvidia 2080 super.
The Goliathlinux server will have Nvidia 2080ti very soon.
In conclusion, two servers and a new Sony Xperia 1 Will be ready for use in testing.
I am just a couple of days away from ordering the next batch of Nvidia 2080 super and the rtx 2080ti.
Thanks for updating MC suite of software.
George.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2019, 09:35:30 am »

Hopefully also secure connection like in Panel is implemented so VPN is not needed anymore to be safe.

You can do this with a reverse proxy.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2019, 10:28:39 am »

You can do this with a reverse proxy.
Thanks. Not too familiar with reverse proxies but how does it help if JRemote can't establish SSL connection? MC server already have option to use SSL if client can do it. I think that otherwise it will use insecure connection (with password/username unencrypted) if the port is open to internet, right?

Anyway it's not too nice for users to have to setup and maintain extra network configuration if acceptable security level can be implemented also to client side (especially when it is already done with panel and MC in client mode so the implementation knowledge is there)

remixedcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2019, 02:08:00 pm »

My suggestions for theater view:

1) Make a good touch UI skin for theater view that isn't as sluggish on my dell venue 8 that I will be re-purposing for jriver.. also make it more like the metro/modern UI. I would do it myself but I have been so fried from a lot of stress lately.

2) Have a touch mode kinda like how audio only mode is? only with larger scrollbars and flicking thru the lists instead of dragging the scrollbar on the right...

Absinthe

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2019, 06:53:02 pm »

As server+library manager JRiver is still a really good option. However I do miss a full remote library/server managment through JRiver clients or through web interfaces. Headless server isn't an option to  fully manage a JRiver server.

+1

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2019, 12:28:03 pm »

I mentioned earlier in this thread that you should integrate MC with Amazon echo devices.  This has come up multiple times by multiple people and the response is always something about them not supporting DLNA.  While that may be true, they do have other ways of allowing you to stream music to their devices and a whole API built for it which I am not sure if the JRiver team is aware of (apologies if you are).  Here is the link to information regarding their Music Skill API

While I am no programmer and don't really know for sure, I would think that you already have a lot of the framework in place to make this a fairly easy feature to implement.  Plex already has this capability (This is how I am currently doing it), as does my media Alexa, as well as Emby and so does Kodi.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up