INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: streaming to render via DLNA  (Read 1409 times)

ashiers

• Recent member
streaming to render via DLNA
« on: October 25, 2020, 04:07:53 pm »

Hi there,

I have two computers in the house.  One running Windows 7 the other a laptop running Linux Mint.  The laptop is running MC26 while I have the latest MC27 running on the windows box.  I have the Sonore UltraRendu renderer attached to my DAC and so on.  When I run MC on my Windows box it discovers the ultraRendu within a minute or two.  I am able to stream music from the Windows box to the renderer, no problem.  However, with the Linux laptop, a whole half hour goes by before it sees the renderer.  When I try to stream music to the renderer from MC on Linux to the renderer I get nothing over the speakers.  In addition, MC doesn't even try to play the whole song.  It only plays a few seconds of a song, then moves onto the next song playing only a few seconds of it also, and so on.  At first I thought it might be a problem where the laptop is connect via wifi.  So I hard wired it to the network.  It didn't make any difference.  I still have the same issues with it.  Please advise.

Alan Shiers

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: streaming to render via DLNA
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 06:07:42 pm »

Have a look and note all your DLNA settings on the Windows PC, and them make sure that your Linux Laptop has the same settings.

The issue you observe is a DLNA Controller (MC) problem and usually means that the audio format the Linux MC Server is sending is a format that the ultraRendu can't play. For example, you may be sending audio in "Original Format" from the Linux Laptop, but in "PCM L16 No Header" from the Windows PC.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then confirm you network arrangement, i.e. One router, wireless or wired connection to each device, IP Addresses from the same DHCP server (the router), and in the same range (same network segment).
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ashiers

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 10:36:45 am »

Please see attached images.  First are the DLNA settings.

The second is how I have things wired.

When I do a preview on this forum interface the images don't show up on the screen, so I don't know if the attachments are getting through or not.

Now, the DLNA settings you see are identical on both the desktop (Windows 7 OS 32bit) and laptop (Linux Mint OS 64 bit).  Except the access keys are different.

MC version on laptop: 26.0.107  -  can't get version 27 to load on Linux Mint yet...waiting for some fixes.
MC version on desktop: 27.0.19

The DSP setting on the laptop have been changed from their defaults due to the fact that when I go to work I bring the Dragonfly Cobalt DAC with me and attach it directly to the laptop, then to a set of headphones.  The Cobalt has a limitation of 24bit 96Hz.  So the settings in MC in DSP Studio on the laptop have been set to ensure that recordings above 24bit 96Hz be down sampled.  I don't know if these DSP settings are having an impact or not.

As explained earlier, I originally tried to connect via wifi to the router from the laptop, then I ran a connection from the switch to the laptop.  In either case, it took over half an hour for MC to discover ultraRendu on the network and when I tried streaming to it, I got nothing over the speakers.  Each song played for three seconds each.  After three or four songs MC just quit.

Please let me know if you can see those attachments and advise what to do next.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 03:56:40 pm »

Ah. MC does have a learning curve!

The screenshot of MC you included only shows part of the DLNA setup. Mostly it is the Media Network setup and just the basic DLNA components. All the important DLNA Server settings are under the "Add or configure DLNA servers" item on that page. That is where the audio format that will be sent to the ultraRendu is defined. See image example. That is what you need to ensure is set the same.

Read: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

If you haven't been into those DLNA Server setting yet, then the DSP you are talking (under Options > Audio) about doesn't apply to DLNA connections, but only to wired (USB, HDMI, TOSLink, etc.) connections. There are separate settings for DSP when using DLNA, and for each DLNA Server you define in MC.

Read: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSP_Over_DLNA and the linked forum thread.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ashiers

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 10:42:58 am »

Thanks for the quick response.  I will surely look into the things you've pointed me to.  It will likely be a week before I can run another test as I'm having to work long hours. However, I have a few days off next week.  I'll let you know how I fair or if I run into other problems.

ashiers

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 03:53:20 pm »

Ok.  I finally have a day off, so I was able to run another test.  As described in your picture of DLNA Servers, I selected under
Audio:
    Mode: Specified output format
    Format: PCM 16-bit

I didn't change anything with the DSP settings.

With my linux laptop connected via wifi,
closed and relaunched MC in hopes that it would detect the ultraRendu on the network.  It didn't. 

My son owns a laptop running Windows 10.  I had him download MC,  we went into settings and made them identical to the ones I have on my linux laptop.  It too was connected via wifi to the network.  It picked up the ultraRendu right away. 

So, now I'm back to square one.  I don't know what is preventing my Linux laptop running MC from detecting ultraRendu on the network.  This is most disconcerting.  Interestingly, while my son's laptop was still on, MC on my linux laptop picked up my son's laptop.  Why can it see my son's laptop, but not the ultraRendu? Would you have any other suggestions to try?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 11:01:33 pm »

As the Windows PC sees the ultraRendu and the Linux PC does not, I think we need a Linux user to comment on what might be wrong.

There might be some settings or packages required in Linux Mint, but I don't know what they would be.

A search of the forum for "Linux Mint" might find some pointers, or just for DLNA in the MC26 and MC27 Linux forums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up