INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Initial Import  (Read 815 times)

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
Initial Import
« on: September 25, 2019, 10:32:52 pm »

I totally agree. Auto Import should be an option for the first time user or on installation of a new major version. If I were new to JRiver and it automatically imported all the media files on my computer it would be a disaster.

Yes! This reminds me of my first experience with JRiver. Not only did it import everything, it also altered some of the files without my permission (It was padding tags; this problem has since been fixed). I uninstalled the program and fired off a testy note to which I never received a response.

I'm not sure why, but I did eventually give it another try, stopped the auto import, and came to understand what an excellent program it is. I just wonder how many others had similar experiences and never came back.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Initial Import
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 11:08:50 pm »

It is a bit off-topic, but that timed import on a new install should really be an Opt-In choice, not an Opt-Out.

Then it could either stay in the Action Windows area with a question like "Do you want MC to import all media files found on your computer and connected drives?: Yes/No" until the user answers the question, or it could just have a very long time-out, like five minutes. Either would give the user time to work out what is going on, and decide what they want to do. If they say Yes, MC imports everything. If they say No, MC opens the Auto Import dialogue, perhaps with a message to "Please configure your import options".

The 45 second time-out and then MC imports everything it finds, everywhere, isn't a good thing.

This has been discussed before. I think it is time the answer changed.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Absinthe

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 11:27:08 pm »

+1  I vote for MC not taking any action until the user acknowledges or cancels the action

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:03:16 am »

It is a bit off-topic, but that timed import on a new install should really be an Opt-In choice, not an Opt-Out. [...]

This has been discussed before. I think it is time the answer changed.

Agreed.  I've thought this since the feature was added.  Might be time for the team to consider this again.

Brian.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:25:06 am »

I agree, this is one of my biggest annoyances with the program.

This would be a good thing to include in a setup wizard, should one ever be created.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 11:02:09 am »

Then it could either stay in the Action Windows area with a question like "Do you want MC to import all media files found on your computer and connected drives?: Yes/No" until the user answers the question, or it could just have a very long time-out, like five minutes. Either would give the user time to work out what is going on, and decide what they want to do. If they say Yes, MC imports everything. If they say No, MC opens the Auto Import dialogue, perhaps with a message to "Please configure your import options".
This would be an infinitely better solution.

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 12:48:10 pm »

Totally agree.  I read the documentation prior to the trial because I didn't want MC to import files from my PC that I'm currently working on from vinyl rips.  Luckily I found what to look for and was able to avoid the scan of my PC.  For those that don't read the documentation, this could be a disaster and time-consuming to cleanup.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 05:51:52 pm »

Usually it wouldn't be too difficult to clean up, as a user would just need to Cancel the import and then Clear the Library. But that requires knowledge of MC, which is what a first time user doesn't have.

The only issue would be that MC might have started stuff like Audio Analysis, and hence writing tags to some files. Not a big issue. But it can scare the poop out of someone, particularly if MC finds and displays stuff on screen that they didn't want to be displayed!  :o  :-[
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 05:21:06 pm »

Initial import should be an opt in not we are going to do it even if you don't notice this little thing in the bottom left of your screen. A popup screen saying shall we import everything from your computer, or will you set up your import requirements later? - would be a big plus.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 07:35:56 am »

BigSpider (and others) have hit on the key to this problem:  The current solution does not force you to notice it.  It attempts to get your attention by blinking.  But it doesn't MAKE you respond.  A dialog box that pops up over the main screen and waits for a response would force the user to make the choice:  "Smart auto import now", or "I'll do it myself later"?

That would definitely be a more elegant and consistent experience for the new user.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up