INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client no longer can load library server [Solved]  (Read 1477 times)

zonka

• World Citizen
Client no longer can load library server [Solved]
« on: October 19, 2019, 10:40:10 pm »

Out of nowhere my client NUC can no longer load the library from my server.  I've noticed there was a Windows update and wondering if that could be there cause.  If so, I wouldn't know where to go to troubleshoot.
When I try to load the library on the client I just get the spinning blue wheel and it hangs until I escape out of it.  I've tried restarting both server and client. 
Any ideas?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

zonka

• World Citizen
Re: Client no longer can load library server
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:17:56 pm »

A little more info - on the client side if I go into My Computer of the NUC I can see the server drive and I can open folders then choose to play the file with JR25 when Windows 10 asks for an app to play - it plays fine.  But when I open the program and try to load the library with the library key it hangs and doesn't work.....
I'm stumped (and it doesn't take much because I'm no network expert).
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:33:04 am »

Firewall?

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 10:44:10 pm »

JR24 was still installed on my client (the NUC) so I loaded it up just to see if the same problem occurred - it did not, it loaded my the library from my server version using the 6 letter code.  Went back to JR25 with no such luck - it just hangs again, won't load the server.  I don't get it - I haven't changed a thing in JR25 (and obviously haven't changed anything in JR24 either - forgot it was still installed on the NUC).
At this point I have to add a new library because I deleted the old one and reset the server so I have a new code (which, again, works with 24).
Any ideas how to get 25 reading my library? 
Thanks,
Drew

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:01 am »

A firewall or antivirus might block MC25, but not block MC24.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 05:37:55 pm »

A Windows update can mean a Defender update, and a Defender update can mean that programs that used to work just fine no longer do, until you "fix" defender.

I saw that at the last major Windows update I allowed.

What Security software do you use?
What specific version of Windows are you running? Run "Winver" to check. The last three updates broke things, and reports are that the latest version, 1909, breaks more things than ever. So if you are using a Windows Insider version, that could be the issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 08:52:42 pm »

I am an absolute networking novice so not sure what to do.  I only run Windows defender and the windows security.  The Win10 Home version (64 bit) I have is version 1809 build 17763.805 - I don't use the insider program (I don't think, since I've never heard of it:).  I have allowed both JR 24 &25 as exceptions on both my server PC and my NUC client (allowed both public and private).  I can't understand why JR24 works fine and JR25 won't allow me to enter the network password and load my server library.
This is tough when you don't know what you don't know.  Not sure what to do here.  Can I undo the Windows defender update?
I tried turning windows defender off on both computers and that didn't work either.
I really appreciate your reply - hopefully, you might have something else for me to try:)  I didn't ever realize there was a win10 version 1909 - I guess i can expect more problems, then....
Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 10:17:00 pm »

I can't understand why JR24 works fine and JR25 won't allow me to enter the network password and load my server library.

This is new information, and points in a different direction.

Are you talking about the MC Authentication password, as set up under "Options > Media Network"? If so you could try turning off Authentication, just for a test, and then try to connect to the MC Server.

If that works, close the MC Client then change the Authentication password on the MC Server, and then try to load the Server Library on the Client again. You should be asked for an Authentication password. Enter the new password and see if the Client connects. You only have to enter the Authentication password once, and then the MC Client will remember it after that.

If that doesn't work, please explain in more detail what you mean by the statement above.
If you are talking about an actual network password, as in the password to access the MC Server PC, then Windows should remember that once you enter it. Or at least is can. You should ever need to enter any network password once the Client PC connects correctly to the Server PC, and the MC Client loads the MC Server Library.

What steps do you take on the Client before you need to enter a password?

Note that the MC Access Key you use for the MC25 isn't the cause here. It should be the same as the Access Key used in MC24. Of course, you should be using a MC25 Server with a MC25 Client. If other network settings have changed, start the MC Server and let it run for 5 minutes before trying to connect the Client. Perhaps play something on it if you can, so that MC is active and the network information associated with the Access Key gets updated on the JRiver servers.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 10:46:38 pm »

Poor choice of words - sorry for the confusion.  There are no passwords needed in either instance - I meant the network key (the 6 digit key).  When I purchased JR25 I never deleted 24 so they are both on the client.  I can run 24 like normal - since I reset the server I was given a new key so I entered it into 24 with no problem and it was up and running, tried the same with 25 and it hung, which is where things sit at the moment.  I have Windows defender on on the server pc and turned off on the client.  Are there settings in Windows Defender I should be checking? Either on the server pc or client?  From what I can tell, they are the same between 24 and 25.  Is there a simple setting in 25 I missed that is causing a problem (I deleted the original version of 25 and tried a fresh install to see if that would work - it didn't, obviously).
I really appreciate your time and patience with me. There's an answer here somewhere - just weird that 24 never stopped working and 25 has a problem when I didn't make any changes to either.
Thanks again for your help, and I hope something else comes to you for me to try:)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 11:34:45 pm »

Try using Panel on the Client to connect to the Server. Maybe if you have Gizmo, JRemote, or similar try that as well.

You could try turning off Authentication on the Server just to see if that changes things.

Otherwise, it is a bit weird it worked then just stopped.

If you go to "Left Navigation Bar > Services & Plug-ins > Media Network" on the Server, then select the "{MC Server name} (Library Server)" item in the server dropdown list, does the IP Address of the MC Client PC (the NUC) appear in the Activity Log as a Source? If it does, that would at least show that the Server sees the Client. You will need to know the IP Address of the NUC to check that.

The other thing you can try, if you know the IP Address of the MC Server, is to connect to the Server Library from the Client using the local IP Address of the Server, just to check connectivity bypassing the using Access Key.

So if your MC Server IP Address is 192.168.0.45, then rather than entering the Access Key on the MC Client (NUC) to connect to the Server Library, enter "192.168.0.45:52199" without the quotes, and the Client should connect.

If you want to check what JRiver knows about your IP Addresses, so you can check they are correct, in a browser enter the URL "http://webplay.jriver.com/libraryserver/lookup?id=ABCdef", when ABCdef is your Access Key, and a page displaying your External (Internet) IP Address and your Internal LAN IP Address(es) will be shown. Your Router interface should show you what your actual IP Addresses are for the Server and Client. Or Google how to find that info.

See how that all goes.

zonka

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 09:52:50 pm »

I'm happy to say using the IP address instead of the network key did the trick.  Roderick - thank you very much for staying with me and adding so many helpful ideas and tips.
Enjoying the new Van Morrison album as I type!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 11:58:03 pm »

Excellent.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up