INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstream - ing sound to ROTEL or Pioneer Decoders via HDMI  (Read 357 times)

esotericxa

• Recent member
  • Another Aussie, here to learn and help
Bitstream - ing sound to ROTEL or Pioneer Decoders via HDMI
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:58:12 pm »

Hi all. I play all media through the player to and external decoder and the video is passed next to the screen.

I have a Rotel 7.1 and a pioneer 5.1 both capable of DDHD amd DTSMA sound, nto that that is relevant to my problem.

Problem is, the with the JRiver MC, and I have been using and paying for it for years,
The streaming of some supposedly DTS material is inconsistent.

Some times MC decodes the material, which it is NOT supposed to do.
Or regardless of what it is supposed to do, I do not want it to do this.
It IS doing this because the VU meter display shows a profile you get when playing music in plain 2 channel stereo. Sort of like a couple of moving mountains or hills. So it has internal to my PC
Decoded and perhaps or perhaps not, downmixed, and the material is then received by my rotel or pioneer as PCM or stereo and either way I get stereo or prologic if selected.

On the intermittent occasions where it does work properly the VU meter display at the top of the MC interface show a left and a right profile that looks like pink noise. so it is passing through the bit stream which should look like pink noise and it some times sounds like pink noise, if the receiver, the Rotel or the Pioneer does not decode correctly.

Now, I am completely sick of this. VLC seems to have no trouble making this work constantly,
to the same rotel and pioneer.
Am I doing some thing wrong?
I am using a HD6450 and have disabled or removed all other sound card facilities.
I have selected WASAPI of course.
I am also sure that fiddling with options such as level or anything like it can invalidate a bit stream and stop it from working unless done very intelligently. So I try to turn of as many volume or level related controls as possible, and there are a lot in MC.

There are a lot of options in MC, but some of them and the comments, do not make sense to me.

For example, under Tools, Audio, setting bit streaming, it says, "None (recommended)" at the top of the custom options.

What? What? What? Huh? Bit streaming is all (as in the only option) I want, why would it be not recommended ?? Difficult to believe that this is bad advice and I am VERY VERY interested in why it is not recommended.

IS some one assuming the people (all people) use the 6 channel of the PC sound card and play to their HT system from these outputs.

Frankly I am to a fair degree at a loss as to why I would want internal PC based interference at all.

So to get back to the original problem and summarise.

Why, when nothing else appears to have changed, that I can detect, does my receiver some times see a stream as DTS and switch to DTS mode, and other time for the same stream not.

Why does MC some times internally decode the stream and send stuff to the receiver that can only become stereo or prologic and other time NOT decode the stream and it clearly send the non decoded pink noise type of stream to the receiver, which then either plays it as pink noise or correctly decodes it as a DTS stream.

Help and illumination or fixes appreciated. Thanks happy to answer questions.
PS, the troublesome streams are not from commercial material, they usually work ok,
but from ripped sources
and so may have format problems, I can not tell. But nothing I do seems to change the
apparently random and arbitrary nature of MC treatment of the streams.
Thanks

Sys1: W10 DH77EB i5, MC31, RX 550 4G DDR5, Thru to
Rotel RSP1570 Controller, Pana VT 3D 55" Plasma,
4 x Rotel RB981 amps.Spkrs:5x AR6 2x AR7 big Sub (7.1)
Sys2:Optiplex 7060i5 RX-550 4G DDR5 
Sys3:Optiplex 9020i5 RX-550 4G DDR5
Both drive Pana ST 3D 50" Plasma , JBL 7.1 Atmos speakers Via the same Marantz NR 1607
Pages: [1]   Go Up