INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstreaming and Parametric EQ  (Read 762 times)

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
Bitstreaming and Parametric EQ
« on: October 21, 2019, 10:34:15 am »

I think the answer is probably "No" but I wanted to ask anyway:

I bitstream Atmos to my AVR from JRiver. I'd like to use the parametric EQ. Can I bitstream the signal and also use the EQ? I realize that if I wasn't doing Atmos/DTS:X, that I could have JRiver decode it and definitely use the EQ (and other goodies) that JRiver offers. Since JR doesn't decode Atmos/DTS:X, I can't do this. So in bitstreaming, can I still use the Parametric EQ?

If I cannot, can I simultaneously output a subwoofer channel through the analog ports of my HTPC? Ideally, I'd send the bitstream signal via HDMI and the analog signal via the analog ports. The analog ports would carry the subwoofer signal and  would be EQ'd. Is this possible?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bitstreaming and Parametric EQ
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 02:13:13 pm »

Bitstreaming and any DSP is not compatible, as you guessed already.

Decoding and bitstreaming simultaneously is unfortunately also not a mode we support.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 04:38:46 pm »

As has been stated, bitstreaming and DSP are mutually exclusive.  "bitstream" means not touching the stream of bits from the original audio format.  It's just sent as is.

But there's an important "but" here:  You don't have to bitstream everything.  You can choose to bitstream just Atomos and DTS:X if you want.  It takes some work, but it can be done.  If you are interested in that, then you could use DSP with all the other formats, and only bitstream these two unicorn formats that MC is not capable of decoding.

Brian.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:32:26 am »

I see, thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately, I use JRiver exclusively for movies in MKV format. While several of the movies are only TrueHD/DTS Master, the library is quickly becoming Atmos/DTS:X. So I wouldn't want to miss out on the EQing on all my  new Atmos/DTSX titles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up