INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD brand question  (Read 1821 times)

highab

• Recent member
CD brand question
« on: May 05, 2003, 05:26:11 am »

Ok this isn't really an MC question, but I figured you guys would be the best to ask....

what's the best CD-R for all-round compatibility? I am using memorex at the mo, and the recording comes out fine on my computer and my SONY hifi, but others are having problems listening to the same CDs on their Pioneer/Iriver/ other make CD players.... I'm assuming this is a CD compatibility question... so what do you recommend?  

Anyone heard of Taiyo-Yuden as a CD make... how do they compare to memorex... I think I can get them for more or less the same price........ oh and I'm in Europe, don't know if that changes hifi technology at all or not.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: CD brand question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 05:36:30 am »

I've used Verbatim since the 5-1/4" floppy days thru QIC-80's, DAT's, and now R's & RW's. Never had a problem.

10-27

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 05:39:49 am »

Taiyo-Yuden are some of the best you can buy.  Only Mitsui makes better CD-Rs and even those are only slightly better.

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 09:57:35 am »

It can be a matter of color -- Xen stays quiet ,please-

I have 3 cds/cmp3 players . One of them cannot play blue cds
I have 2 discmans ,one of then cannot read burned  redbook cds color .[ ?? , i do not remember ].

All the blank cds are from very well know brands ,not cheap 'no name '
If you plan to do some cds for a friend ,good to try a color ans see if i is working for him before starting to burn a lot of cds

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 01:24:39 pm »

I had a really annoying problem in that my hifi would only play blue cdrs and my car would only play silver.  Now the new stereo in the car will play anything so it is just my home hifi that sucks ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 03:46:48 am »

. . . .  and I thought CD players were color-blind   :-/

maybe you need a color-correcting lens on the laser?

or perhaps, like children they can be bribed with cookies?

;D

. . . seriously, the only problem I have run into seems to be associated with older units playing CD's with text.

What about trying to 'clone' a CD onto a CD-R to insure it is the blank that is the problem?

phelt

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 05:25:49 am »

I'll second the recommendations for Taiyo-Yuden and Mitsui - no problems.

highab

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 05:41:01 am »

Thank y'all very much... I'll plump for the Taiyo-yuden and see what happens. :)

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 06:08:19 am »

Every bit of advice I've read has recommended TDK, among others.  Other brands are commonly mentioned here and there, but TDK is always on the list.

I've always used TDK, and never had a problem.  The fact that I can get them at my local supermarket is just a convenience.

Some players (notably DVD players) tend to work better with CD-RW discs, rather than CD-R discs.

rocketsauce

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 09:28:43 am »

Also note, that the brand name on the package often has nothing to do with who actually manufactured the discs. I have used Fuji brand CD-Rs that have been made by 3 different companies (Fuji, Ritek and Taiyo Yuden). The last time I used TDK they were also made by Ritek. Ritek and Taiyo Yuden are generally considered to be good.

You can download CDR Identifier v1.63 to find out the manufacturer of your CD-Rs.

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_2.shtml

Rob

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 09:39:53 am »

I only use TDK's in my TDK VeloCD.  You can always get them dirt-cheap at Target.
Pages: [1]   Go Up