INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM and Naxos Streaming Help  (Read 572 times)

LP Audiophile

• Recent member
WDM and Naxos Streaming Help
« on: October 27, 2019, 08:23:23 pm »

I want to take the Naxos classical music feed through MC 25 and play it to a streamer and DAC and my stereo. I see a few posts on the topic, but it isn't clear (to me) whether this is supposed to work or not.

I can't seem to get this to work using WDM. I have made MC 25 the default device on my laptop and the little volume bar moves up and down suggesting that I have enabled MC as the right default device.

When I select open live, neither the WASAPI or ASIO option allow me to select my streamer to play to.

Have I set this up correctly, or is it just not possible to stream Naxos through J River to an outboard streamer, DAC and stereo?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: WDM and Naxos Streaming Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:54:15 pm »

MC can take an audio stream from an external App in via the WDM Driver, then play it locally with connected DAC/Speakers/whatever.
MC can stream local (or NAS) files to a DLNA Renderer (which I assume is what you mean by a Streamer) and the Renderer can play that stream locally or via DAC/Speakers/whatever.

MC can't take an audio stream from an external App in via the WDM Driver then stream the audio via DLNA to a DLNA Renderer (Streamer).

I don't know the reason, but it can't, and that has been confirmed in the past by JRiver staff. Plus I have tried and the computer said No.

So, if you use an App from Naxos classical music and want to play that to MC, which you then want to stream to your DLNA Renderer, that isn't going to happen.

However...
MC can take some web streams such as "Radio Paradise" and "Radio Swiss Jazz" then stream the audio via DLNA to a DLNA Renderer (Streamer).

This is a bit hit and miss. Typically it needs some special attention from JRiver to make it work, or a specific type of stream. I just tried to add a web resource for Naxos classical music (https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.508004) to test if I could play that to a DLNA Renderer (BubbleUPnP). Nope, it played on the PC and not the DLNA Renderer, bypassing MC completely and just playing from the Chromium browser even though that was inside MC. (I can play tracks on that URL locally on my PC though, through Chrome.) But then, I just tried to get "JRiver Radio" and "Cloudplay" to play to BubbleUPnP, and neither worked, just skipping through tracks. Cloudplay plays fine locally, though JRiver Radio seems to be having some trouble at the moment, it eventually played locally as well.

You may do better if you have a Naxos classical music account and more direct URLs for streaming audio.

TL;DR No, you can't do what you want.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

LP Audiophile

• Recent member
Re: WDM and Naxos Streaming Help
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 06:08:42 am »

You hit the nail on the head - I am trying to stream Naxos to a DLNA renderer. I still learning all these terms, so my apologies for not being more precise.

While not the answer I was hoping for, it is very helpful to have this clarified in such clear terms.

Thanks so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up