INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing Multiple Audio File Types  (Read 1014 times)

vbphil

• World Citizen
Managing Multiple Audio File Types
« on: October 28, 2019, 12:37:57 pm »

I created a separate Library and root directory for AAC file copies (3119 total) of my main library of ALAC files (9100 total). It's not a complete clone, just 4 star or better rated songs. I did this so I didn't have to convert from ALAC to AAC every time I would sync the AAC files to a mobile device. This has worked fine except for keeping the metadata between the 2 Libraries in sync. I'm constantly making metadata changes in the Main Library and then would have to repeat the same in the AAC library. Changes like spelling and genre.

Is there a better way of handling multiple file types for the same songs?

thanks,  -phil

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Managing Multiple Audio File Types
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:41:58 pm »

If you enable the conversion cache in your main library, this will all be handled automatically and seamlessly for you.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 07:25:57 am »

ok, maybe that works.

I found the Conversion Cache setting in Options/File Locations/. It was set to none so I supplied a folder for it.

Now if I could just find some information on how it's supposed to behave in MC25. Searching the Wiki yielded nothing.

Any ideas?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:58:28 am »

Basically cache setting does not delete conversion done for syncing ... so next time you sync MC grabs from cache rather than do another conversion

Theoretically like this ... you don’t need to maintain separate AAC library
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 10:37:21 am »

Thanks for the help.

So now I understand what Stacking is. I guess I stumbled into it years ago but never realized, at the time, what it could do for me.

thanks,  -phil

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 01:59:05 pm »

Well, I ran into a snag.

I set up to sync with a USB thumb drive with the conversion set and cache defined except I get the Over Capacity warning and it won't complete the Sync. It seems it's using the full ALAC file sizes and not the smaller AAC size that will get copied after the conversion.

Is there a way around this?

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 12:53:18 pm »

Appears to be the end of comments. I'll close it here and say that the conversion cache won't work for me so I'm sticking with saving the converted files in a separate root folder and library. I'll then sync to that library with my mobile devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up