INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The strange case of the preffix Mc... and the function "Clean File Properties"  (Read 833 times)

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living

I'm a compulsive cataloguer. So MC have been my partner since the very beginning of the tool.
All the titles and codes of my cataloged objects HAVE TO BE right written, so it have to be "cleaned"
Then, I'm a compulsive user of Library Tools > Clean File Properties.

BUT, from some time (versions) ago,  I have noticed a particular way of acting of such function:
all that words that start by mc are "cleaned" converting the following letter to UPPERCASE.
For example, if it's wanted to write Mcarthur in such way, it will be "cleaned" to McArthur,
Funny, isn't it?

Are you Scottish guys?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

McArthur is correct.

DaremoS

• World Citizen

Yes, sir, is correct... but what if i want to keep it as Mcarthur?
Or if a want to list the code of an album which Mcad-35675???
if will be changed to McAd-35675 .... which is wrong.
I don't want my favorite software to take decision instead my decision.

Please take a look on a function which is not working well.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen

Just deselect all of the fields you don't want clean file properties to work on - then it won't change them.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Yes, sir, is correct... but what if i want to keep it as Mcarthur?
Or if a want to list the code of an album which Mcad-35675???
if will be changed to McAd-35675 .... which is wrong.
I don't want my favorite software to take decision instead my decision.

Please take a look on a function which is not working well.
Well, I don't know...

I'm not sure if there is a bug here or not.

If you look in the MC program folder, you will see a folder named "Data". Inside that, there is a folder named "Default Resources", and inside that, there are two files, "CapitalizationAllCaps.txt" and "CapitalizationExclusion.txt"

The theory is, that if you create a new folder inside "Data" named "Custom Resources", make copies of those two files inside this new folder, MC would use those instead of the defaults, however, in my testing, that is not working.

I even removed both files altogether, expecting that that draconian measure would remove all capitilisation management, but MC still changed Mcarthur to McArthur, so, right now, without some dev team input, BigSpider's answer, whilst not ideal for you, is the best you're going to get.

-marko.

DaremoS

• World Citizen

Well, I don't know...

I'm not sure if there is a bug here or not.

I even removed both files altogether, expecting that that draconian measure would remove all capitilisation management, but MC still changed Mcarthur to McArthur, so, right now, without some dev team input, BigSpider's answer, whilst not ideal for you, is the best you're going to get.

-marko.

Thanks Marko... you get exactly what the problem is.

If you noticed there is a gentle sarcasm in my post  :).
I've been with this since the first versions of MC, and I have always the latest installed.
No big problem, just strange.

Before the post I tested all the letters after the MC enigma.

mc = Media Center!?  :) Try mcjr then McJr = Media Center J River, unbelievable tool for collectors.

BTW, I have in my music collection 97747 files, perfectly cataloged with a minimum of handwriting, they call me Copy Paste God.
Pages: [1]   Go Up