INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Noise Issue with dsf playback [Not Solved]  (Read 1166 times)

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
White Noise Issue with dsf playback [Not Solved]
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:04:51 am »

Hi all,

I have MC running on my HTPC connected directly to my receiver via HDMI and USB. Bit streaming is unchecked and MC does all the decoding so all the receiver ever gets is PCM. I have a Foreigner 5.1ch SACD which has been ripped to dsf files. When I play this album each song will last for approx. 30 seconds and then blast my speakers with horrible white noise.  Same for every song, plays perfectly for 30 seconds or so an then blam!

Any ideas?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: White Noise Issue with dsf playback
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 07:49:46 am »

Sounds like a defective/failed ripping job.  Have you checked whether the files have reasonable sizes/timings compared to the disc?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 04:38:49 pm »

Perhaps you are pushing DOPE? No seriously, DOPE is a way of packing DSF into a PCM payload, and if the player doesn’t understand DOPE it sounds like white noise..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:52:58 pm »

Perhaps you are pushing DOPE? No seriously, DOPE is a way of packing DSF into a PCM payload, and if the player doesn’t understand DOPE it sounds like white noise..
Yes but, if so, why would it play for 30 seconds?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 09:17:26 pm »

DOP is designed to play very low level white noise if the DAC does not recognize the DOP markers. It should not play blast the speakers.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 05:36:11 am »

Ok so the only other option I have is to enable bitstreaming for DSD in MC but this results in the receiver showing 24/176 and 5.1 but there is no sound at all.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 06:29:21 am »

176/24 is the sample rate you get from converting a SACD (2.8 MHz DSD) to PCM.  If there is no sound, that may mean your system does not handle 176/24 correctly.  To test that, you can use the Output Format option in DSP Studio to convert a standard CD track to 176.

You could also try converting you dsf file to a 176/24 file and then use Output Format to convert that to various sample rates on playback to figure out what works correctly.  That would help determine if the original file is OK and what sample rates your system works with.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:05:13 am »

What model is your receiver?

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 03:30:01 pm »

Emotiva XMC-1

Thanks for the help.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
Re: White Noise Issue with dsf playback [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 07:32:36 pm »

I solved this issue. In MC I kept bitstreaming to none and in DSP studio>Output Format>Sample Rate I set 352,800 Hz to output at 176,400 Hz (it was set to playback 352,800Hz at 96,000Hz). I guess 352,800 is not an exact multiple of 96,000 and this was causing the issue. Now playback is perfect and no more white noise after 30 seconds or so. I don't know why the bitstreaming doesn't work but I don't really care as prefer PCM being sent to the processor anyway as this gives me more flexibility with surround modes as I only have a centre back speaker and no rear surrounds (4.1).

To be honest it was MC that discovered this. I unticked "Output Format" altogether and tried to play the file and MC said that playback would not work unless it made the above change and asked me if I wanted to do this.

Thanks to everyone for helping me to understand the complexities of this file format.

EDIT: No this is not solved. Songs are still reverting to loud white noise after 30 - 60 seconds of playback. Now its not all songs. Perhaps it is corrupt files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up