INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not seeing/showing mkv video files  (Read 1490 times)

CaptainCrewe

• Recent member
Not seeing/showing mkv video files
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:38:36 am »

Hello

Using Media Center 26 on Windows 10 Pro, I'm not able to add mkv files to my library.  Other files (mp4) in the same folder are seen, but not the ones with an mkv extension.

I've associated mkv files with Media Center (Tools, Options, File Types).  But if I then double click the mkv file it still opens using Windows' native media player.

If I convert the mkv file to mp4 (or m4v) using Handbrake, then the video is immediately detected by Media Center. 

Doing the mkv-m4v conversion only adds a few minutes, but other posts around the forum suggest that mkv files should be 'understood' by Media Center without any problems.  So I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Not seeing/showing mkv video files
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:42:30 am »

In Windows settings, uncheck the association with the Windows Media Player.

CaptainCrewe

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 10:32:10 am »

Thank you for your response.  I've been away for a few days and only able to try applying the suggestion now.

I don't see a way to remove a file association entirely, so have associated mkv files with JRiver Media Center 26 via Settings, Apps, Default Apps, Choose default applications by file type.  I've also applied the latest Media Center build - 26.0.15.

Although Media Center reports 2 media sub types, only mp4 files are showing.  I'm attaching a screenshot of Media Center's Video section, with an explorer window superimposed so that the contents of my MakeMKV folder can be seen.  There's clearly an mkv file in there, but not imported into Media Center.

So I'm still not able to manage the mkv file type from within Media Center.  Are you able to suggest further steps to try?

Thanks and regards

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:28:14 am »

In the Media Import window under "import these file types" did you make sure that MKV was checked under the video section. I've run into this problem a few times. The result is much like what you're seeing if it's not.

CaptainCrewe

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 11:44:59 am »

You're a star.  That did it. 

For any others that follow, it took me a little while to find the Media Import window.  Found it by selecting File, Library, Import.  Then chose 'Import a single folder', then specified the desired folder with mkv files, even though it had been included previously.  Then I could expand the Video drop-down and ticked the box for mkv.

Makes more sense now, even though not madly intuitive (to me).  I can see that one has really very fine control over what is imported.

Thank you so much for your good assistance.

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 12:47:47 pm »

You're welcome, glad it helped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up