INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Sync for Offline Client Use?  (Read 577 times)

benjy

• Recent member
File Sync for Offline Client Use?
« on: May 05, 2020, 12:05:11 pm »

Hi,

How does one do a media sync to a client for offline fallback when the library server is not accessible? I'm specifically interested in audio file sync, not video.

--- Use case ---

My wife and I are longtime MC users, but have had individual installations on our laptops. Now, I want to centralize our libraries on a home server and then set up clients on our laptops that reference the library server. Normally, just syncing the metadata to the client and streaming from the library will be fine when we are at home, but there will be many instances where the laptops will be someplace that reaching the server is not an option.

Specifically, if we are DJing an event, it is very important to have local copies of the files as network access is not assured.

In an ideal situation, there would be an option on playlists along the lines of "sync to local drive" / "pin to local drive" / "download to local drive", which would sync those files in the background and make them available offline. It makes sense to let people pin anything in the Audio tree - Album, Artist, Genre, etc - but pinning by either normal playlists, smart playlists and playlist groups is the most useful for us.

When we get home, any new playlists, playlist mods or play counts would sync back to the library server like normal.

--- Handhelds / Device Sync not a substitute ---

Treating the laptop like a device and using the Handheld/Device Sync to export files there is not an option. I use JRiver to DJ, make use of a bunch of the capabilities, and would want playlist mods and play counts synced back after an event.

The Library Master/Client relationship seems to do everything I'd want, the docs just don't describe a mechanism for transparent local pinning for offline play.

Thanks for any info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up