INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropouts with Mac  (Read 1207 times)

MSchott

• Recent member
Dropouts with Mac
« on: May 05, 2020, 06:46:53 pm »

I run MC24 v78 on my iMac which is used as the DLNA server. It’s connected through WiFi to my Oppo Sonica DAC source which is connected to the preamp of my 2 channel system. The server configuration now has the Audio output to Original. I had it set to 750 milliseconds and there were long dropouts, 2-3 seconds. In Original the dropouts seem fewer and shorter but still happen. Any suggestions? By the way the Mac has a TB hard drive and 8 GB of RAM. The FLAC files take up about 140GB’s.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dropouts with Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:10:40 am »

I run MC24 v78 on my iMac which is used as the DLNA server. It’s connected through WiFi to my Oppo Sonica DAC source which is connected to the preamp of my 2 channel system. The server configuration now has the Audio output to Original. I had it set to 750 milliseconds and there were long dropouts, 2-3 seconds. In Original the dropouts seem fewer and shorter but still happen. Any suggestions? By the way the Mac has a TB hard drive and 8 GB of RAM. The FLAC files take up about 140GB’s.
Since you can't control the buffering of the server to the Oppo DAC  it's up to the DAC to determine how much buffering to do to insure a continuous stream.
You might try right-clicking on the Oppo zone and turning off the DLNA controller option for SetNext.
If that doesn't change anything there is something odd with the network chain between MC and the device.
It's possible you might have a switch or duplex issue.
How exactly does the Mac network to the DAC? (wired/wireless, switch, router, etc)

MSchott

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 03:28:23 pm »

Since you can't control the buffering of the server to the Oppo DAC  it's up to the DAC to determine how much buffering to do to insure a continuous stream.
You might try right-clicking on the Oppo zone and turning off the DLNA controller option for SetNext.
If that doesn't change anything there is something odd with the network chain between MC and the device.
It's possible you might have a switch or duplex issue.
How exactly does the Mac network to the DAC? (wired/wireless, switch, router, etc)

Thanks Bob. The Mac is connected to the DAC through WiFi. It's in a different room than the DAC. I'm not sure what you mean by your second line about the Oppo zone. I don't see that JRiver has any option to choose the source, the Oppo finds the Wifi signal. Maybe it's in the Oppo's menu.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 03:48:32 pm »

Thanks Bob. The Mac is connected to the DAC through WiFi. It's in a different room than the DAC. I'm not sure what you mean by your second line about the Oppo zone. I don't see that JRiver has any option to choose the source, the Oppo finds the Wifi signal. Maybe it's in the Oppo's menu.
Are you pushing the content FROM MC to the Oppo or pulling it FROM MC on the Oppo?

MSchott

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:54:38 pm »

Are you pushing the content FROM MC to the Oppo or pulling it FROM MC on the Oppo?

Good question. I believe I'm pulling MC from the Oppo.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:07:49 am »

I'd be suspicious of the wireless connection. Is there a way you can test it wired?

MSchott

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 11:58:11 am »

I'd be suspicious of the wireless connection. Is there a way you can test it wired?

Unfortunately not. The server is in the basement and the DAC is on the main floor of the house. I think you are right that the issue is with the network. Maybe I'll add a booster for the WiFi.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:03:45 pm »

Unfortunately not. The server is in the basement and the DAC is on the main floor of the house. I think you are right that the issue is with the network. Maybe I'll add a booster for the WiFi.

The booster will increase the bandwidth but add latency, it might work though. Another possibility perhaps are power line ethernet adapters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up