INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Type: XXXXXX  (Read 1573 times)

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
File Type: XXXXXX
« on: April 30, 2003, 06:25:47 pm »

I was ripping my Duran Duran "Rio" CD tonight using 9.0.165. In the folder created during the rip, there's a zero length file named, "08 - DURAN DURAN - Save a prayer.mp3.XXXXXX".

Also in the folder is the MP3 file for the same song.

The timestamps on the files indicate that:

- The MP3 was created 10:06:01 PM
- The MP3 was modified 10:11:13 PM

- The XXXXXX was created 10:11:12 PM
- The XXXXXX was modified 10:11:12 PM

It appears that one second before the MP3 was modified, the XXXXXX file was created.

I ripped about 10 albums so far (two with this latest version) and this was the first time this file was left behind.  What is this file and why did it remain?

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
Re: File Type: XXXXXX
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 01:02:53 pm »

I've gotten some XXXX files popping up occasionally as well. I wasn't sure if MC9 was generating them or if I was somehow downloadling them (I'm usually very careful to only download mp3 files, and nothign else) or if it was from something else. They seem harmless enough, but odd.

I don't get them from ripping tracks though, that's for sure -- since I've been having major ripping problems for the last few builds. So I'm really curious where these could be from, as well.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 01:22:35 pm »

Ordinarily these XXXXX files appear when you edit tag info/filename on a Read-Only file...or the file is in use by some other app. When the file is editable...then MC will apply the changes to the original file, and delete the XXXXX file. MC applies tag info after the rip/encode cycle. Looks like some kind of timing error (MC tries to write tags before the encoder has let it go OR there's some contention while the file is importing into the library OR ....)

10-27

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 01:34:32 pm »

Well, guess I better stop deleting these things manually, then. Thanks for the info!  ;D

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 01:27:33 am »

When ripping an album, I get a track like this about once every three or four albums. I have to delete the track and rerip.

Media Center 9.0.155 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 996 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 335 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4134.0600 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4134.600
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINNT\Media\notify.wav

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-52246S         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Pages: [1]   Go Up