INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question about Panel....  (Read 1194 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Quick question about Panel....
« on: January 02, 2020, 06:47:55 pm »

I looked at the Panel article in the wiki, and it (and the links therein) didn't answer my question/confusion.

Here's an overview of my setup...

I have MC 25 running on a desktop PC as the MC server.

I have MC 25 running on a PC in the entertainment center as a MC client, using the Main Library from the MC server.

Currently, I have a Inteset remote (via FLIRC) and a Logitech K400r wireless keyboard controlling th MC client.

The remote via FLIRC works flawlessly.  Wish I could say the same for the Logitech K400r.  The latter will be replaced tomorrow when the UPS person appears.  But I digress.  :)

What I would like to do is fire up a browser on my laptop, connect to the MC client (currently playing tunes) and navigate the Theater View screen.  Or maybe navigate a Panel view.

I've spent some quality time in the wiki, but I still am at a loss if what I want to do is even possible.

Hence my quick question.

thx.
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Quick question about Panel....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:51:14 pm »

What I would like to do is fire up a browser on my laptop, connect to the MC client (currently playing tunes) and navigate the Theater View screen.  Or maybe navigate a Panel view.
Assuming you mean server, not client.

The wiki Panel topic has instructions.  Were you able to connect?  If not, a firewall could be blocking access.

On the server, try entering localhost:52199 in a browser.  Does that work?

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:09:46 pm »

Wow, that was quick.  Great support.  Many thanks.  :)

I did mean client, possibly because of my [mis]understanding of how things work.

Maybe my comment was ambiguous.

It is the client that is feeding the TV with the tunes.  When I use Theater View, I use the MC client Theater View.

Based upon that, I presumed that I would want to connect to Panel on the client to control the song selection that the client is sending to the TV.  I currently use the LogiTech keyboard and the Inteset remote to control the client.

Was the presumption of wanting to use Panel to control the client incorrect, and I really need to connect to Panel on the server?

Will the server then pass my request to the client?
=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 07:45:23 pm »

Ahhh...

OK.  I did connect to the MC server, port 51299, with the the browser and I saw the panel screen.

I seem to have misunderstood the purpose of Panel. It does not seem to be about remote control, but remote listening.  As I've just learned another piece of the MC architecture, it makes more sense to me.

Thanks for the nudge in that direction.

Under the premise of "if you want better answers, ask better questions," let me ask...

Is it possible to control via a web browser what a MC client feeds to its attached TV?

(maybe I should have started with that... :)  )

=========

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:10:51 pm »

OK.  I did connect to the MC server, port 51299, with the the browser and I saw the panel screen.

I seem to have misunderstood the purpose of Panel. It does not seem to be about remote control, but remote listening. 
It's both.  Change where you play from "Here" to "Player" in Panel's settings.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 09:27:53 pm »

OK, I changed "Here" to "Player" and wound up at a long screen that is asking me for a userid and password.

The screen says...
Code: [Select]
Login

System functions require full authentication.
Please login using the appropriate credentials set in Media Center
in Options->Media Network.

So I go to that spot on the MC server and I see. the attached image.

Where do I get the userid and password that is being requested?

=========

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 09:29:05 pm »

Set Authentication on the Server.  Then use those credentials to log in through the browser.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 09:29:55 pm »

btw, apologies, I really thought this was going to be a quick thing.  I didn't mean to interrupt your vacation.  If you want to pause this until Jan 6, I'm fine with that...
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 09:32:55 pm »

> Set Authentication on the Server.  Then use those credentials to log in through the browser.

Will do.  Many thanks for the awesome support.

I'll give it a try and report back on Monday.

Enjoy the rest of your vacay.  Really. 

=========

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 06:28:00 am »

btw, apologies, I really thought this was going to be a quick thing.  I didn't mean to interrupt your vacation.  If you want to pause this until Jan 6, I'm fine with that...
That's very nice of you.  Thanks.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 11:21:31 am »

> Set Authentication on the Server.  Then use those credentials to log in through the browser.

That was the tip I needed.  I had not seen the authentication config on the Server.

I'm in, i.e., I'm now using Panel on my laptop to control what is playing on the Media Center server.

There's more to explore in this area....

Cool stuff.

Many thanks for the assist.
=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up