INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP when playing to external AV receiver (DLNA)  (Read 487 times)

zzeitg

• Recent member
DSP when playing to external AV receiver (DLNA)
« on: January 05, 2020, 02:28:24 pm »

One question...

On PC I've set sample rate to increase to 192.000 Hz output (for mp3 files) in DSP Studio.
(In the bottom line of the DSP Studio window there's indication of Source (input) and Internal (output) sample rate when playing a song.)

Now I tried to set the same for another zone (external AV receiver, connected to PC via. ethernet cable).
I went to Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Add or configure DLNA servers -> Advanced -> DSP Studio -> Output format.
Here I did same settings as in standard DSP Studio (internal), but it does not seem to work.
There's a message "Playback stopped or current playback doesn't support processing. In the bottom line, there's no Source/Internal sample rate indication, just n/a.
Which is obviously not correct, as the playback is there, but in original (lower) sample rate.

Am I doing something wrong?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP when playing to external AV receiver (DLNA)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 03:23:57 pm »

You will need to look at your DLNA Renderer to see what it is receiving, to confirm MC is indeed up-mixing to a Sample Rate of 192 kHz. But it is.

I just played some 44.1 kHz, 16 bit FLAC files to BubbleUPnP running on my Android phone as a DLNA Renderer. I set the DLNA DSP to up-mix to 192 kHz Sample rate. I set the Output Audio Format under "Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Audio > Format" to "MP3 low bandwidth" and "MP3 high bandwidth", which gave me 64 kbps and 320 kbps bitrate MP3 files respectively. Both formats showed as 192 kHz Sample Rate in BubbleUPnP.

So the DSP is working fine. It is just that MC doesn't show what it is doing in the DSP dialogue under "Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Advanced > DSP Studio". It would probably be nice if it did, just like it does for local Zones, but it never has.

In the past, I think the reason given for it not showing what it is doing was that MC wasn't using its Audio Engine for playback, so there was nothing to show. But "obviously" there is, as DSP is changing the Sample Rate, and the Audio Format selection is changing the format to whatever is selected. However, DLNA is a file-based process, so what is actually happening is more like a file conversion using the Audio Format and DSP parameters, and then the file is sent to the DLNA Renderer. Hence, look at the Renderer to see what it is receiving.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up