INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: madVR plugin location?  (Read 2703 times)

stevenjw

• Junior Woodchuck
madVR plugin location?
« on: January 08, 2020, 10:06:30 pm »

Under MC25, the plugin location for madVR was located in "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Plugins\madvr".  I do not see a new folder there for madvr under MC26 and need to know where it's located now.  This is critical for my continued use of MC26 and switch from MC25.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: madVR plugin location?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:43:27 pm »

Folder is there for me

Initial install of MC does not contain MadVR ... so if you just install MC26 and went to look for MadVR in plugins- it won’t be there

MadVR is downloaded when needed ... so if you set up your MC26 to use MadVR and start playing video, you will see “downloading component” ... once downloaded, movie will start play ... and if you check plugin folder, MadVR will be there ... and now you can proceed replacing it with test builds (I guess that’s what you wanted lol)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

stevenjw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 12:07:39 am »

Interesting.  Is this the case for an upgrade install?  It seemed to save / use all of my previous options, settings, views, etc.  Why wouldn't it handle an existing plugin?

The directory wasn't there so I copied the directory over from MC25 and called it MC26 right after install (upgrade).  That seems to work when I go to Tools > Options > Video > Open madVR settings, however when I start MC26 from scratch, the settings aren't correct.  Like it's using some other settings.bin file and I have no idea where it's getting those different values.

I will try to correct by deleting the madvr plugin folder for MC26 and set it to use madVR as an option to see iif it downloads the component.  If so, then I'll proceed to replace with the latest v112b files.  If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall MC26 and reinstall/upgrade and go from there.

stevenjw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 12:39:49 am »

Not sure why it didn't get created as part of the upgrade, but deleting it solved the issue as it was added back as a component.  I'm guessing that I never started a movie before copying the folder over and that caused some strange issues.  All is well now.

Thanks!!!!

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:13:26 am »

It’s the case for upgrade too

Out of curiosity which MadVR version you using?

.16 that comes with MC now seems to give good results for HDR tone mapping (better than my LG E6 tone mapping which screw up hue in some bright scene ... notably Harry Potter deathly hallows part 2 ... in train station scene, LG gives greenish hue to very bright light ... while MadVR .16 gives correct reddish hue)

Just wondering what improvements test builds give for ppl to risk stability of system in favor of that improvement.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 07:27:24 am »

It’s the case for upgrade too

Out of curiosity which MadVR version you using?

.16 that comes with MC now seems to give good results for HDR tone mapping (better than my LG E6 tone mapping which screw up hue in some bright scene ... notably Harry Potter deathly hallows part 2 ... in train station scene, LG gives greenish hue to very bright light ... while MadVR .16 gives correct reddish hue)

Just wondering what improvements test builds give for ppl to risk stability of system in favor of that improvement.

I'm using 112b with NeoXP's 1.0 curve and it is pretty stunning. I found the old tonemapping code to be too warm.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 07:53:24 am »

I'm using 112b with NeoXP's 1.0 curve and it is pretty stunning. I found the old tonemapping code to be too warm.

It is a bit warm ... giving Caucasian skin tone a bit too much yellowish ... but it still hell lot better than my LG E6 tone mapping which changes hue (slightly but still annoyingly)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 10:52:05 am »

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic but I am intrigued by the use of MadVR tone mapping discussed here.
I have a LG B6 HDR OLED and as it is now several generations old it is not up to date with current tone mapping abilities.
Excuse my ignorance but it is hard keeping up with all this new tech.
Once you have processed the HDR image in MadVR how are you passing it onto the display, is it as a SDR image or do you maintain the greater bit depth and wide colour gamut but bypass the displays own tone mapping by removing the metadata?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 11:25:57 am »

MadVR option [convert HDR to SDR] is a bit misleading ... what it does is tone mapping (ppl see word “SDR” in option automatically consider it inferior)

Just to be sure ppl understand ... no consumer TV/projector at the monent is able to display full HDR (none of them can reach pick brightness or peack color saturation of HDR spec)

Hence, tone mapping - process that compresses HDR so it can be displayed on your TV.

When your TV enters HDR mode ... it simply indicate that your TV is doing tone mapping (it only does that if it receives HDR metadata with video)

If MadVR do tone mapping it outputs video without HDR metadata (so your TV does not enter HDR mode and hence does not apply its tone mapping) ... the video is already tone mapped to appropriate level ... color will depend on what you specify in option (could be 709, P3, 2020 ... most ppl with HDR display choose P3 as none of TV can cover 2020 anyway)

for TV users ... its pretty simple ... you just specify target nits (nits of your TV ... for oled its 600-800) ... 0.92.16 madVR has diffuse white set at 100nits (so anything below are not touched) ... anything above 100 nits gets compressed to match target nits.

According to madVR discussion/testing on AVS forum ... most TV tone mapping is simple and introduces hue changes (i can confirm LG E6 oled changes hue) ... madshi is particular careful not to touch hues during tone mapping

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 08:42:46 am »

Thanks for the info'.
I'll have to explore this myself.

stevenjw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 10:15:56 pm »

tij did a great job of describing madvr TM.  To get it to work within MC26, you need to download the latest test zipfile (v112b) and overwrite 8 files in the plugin directory with the new ones.  Then modify the settings to taste.   Best to follow information for this topic over at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2954506-improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector.html.  madVR TM has given new life to my JVC RS500 and UHD collection using MC26 on my HTPC with Nvidia 1080ti.  Sold my Oppo a while ago and haven't regretted it.  HIGHLY recommend it.  Very stable.

FYI:  I'm using 75 nits setting with Manni01's HTSM curve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up