INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can i Do this?  (Read 1994 times)

eruji

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Can i Do this?
« on: April 29, 2003, 01:30:03 pm »

i dont think media player will do this but...

i would like to print a list of all of my media files so that i can put them in a catalog. by each media file there would be a unique numeric code that i could type into my remote and it would cue it up in the playing now list.

this would be a great feature. So if im having a party i could load a playlist and people could be looking through my printed catalog, enter their media choice and it would play after the current song finishes. and any one else entering songs would go into a cue as well. if the user requested cue empties then it would go back to where it left off in my playlist. make sense?

anyhow i wasnt sure if this was possible but it would be an excelent feature that i have not been able to find with other players.

gkerber

Re: Can i Do this?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 01:54:03 pm »

I am not an expert, but....

If you had a pda or some other wireless display device and a wireless network, you could run WebRemote or NetRemote and see your audio list, just like in MC itself, avoiding the whole album numbering thing.

I have WebRemote running with a wireless pda (and learning about NetRemote).  It's really cool to have full access to your whole collection WITHOUT LISTS (like I had to do previously with my huge megachanger, before MC).

Steep learning curve to get it all working.  Try downloading the webremote plug in and trying to access it with your browser on your pc, if you like the interface, you can have it on a wireless pda, or try NetRemote.

Good luck.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 02:36:34 pm »

> i would like to print a list of all of my media files so that i can put them in a catalog

That part is easy (though it wouldn't be done from MC)...it works well if your files are in a few locations (rather than sub-dir'd all over the place with Artists and Albums)

Click on the Start button, select Run, then type in cmd (brings up the mighty Command Line interface)
My files are in 3 places...s:\ogg, s:\mp3, s:\images (with no sub-dirs) so I would s: and then cd ogg
Now type in dir *.* /b >xen-ogg.txt
Now open Word, import the xen-ogg.txt file, sort it the way your want, then apply the numbered bulleting
Repeat the steps for your other directories

It's not the most elegant solution...but it works

10-27

NoCodeUK

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 02:39:49 pm »

It can easily be done from MC as well :)  Create a view scheme showing just Artist and Name but with all tracks listed.  Select All.  Copy.  paste into Word and Print out...

Nice and easy and can be jazzed up too as it is a word document.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

__Alchemist__

• Kplamm!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 02:43:12 pm »

or for maximum flexibility use the excellent export to XML option and you can import your media database into another application and print it out however you want

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 02:50:11 pm »

Well...I'll be dogged...that works nice (eliminates a lot of steps). I think I tried that in v8 and it didn't work so well, so I dismissed it in 9 as well. I guess you CAN teach middle-aged dogs new tricks.

10-27

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 02:54:06 pm »

LOL  Glad I can pass some thing on to your older more experienced MCers ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

eruji

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 03:30:38 pm »

Okay, thanks for that info,. but i figured that printing it out would be pretty easy.

now how do i get that functionality of entering a code to play a particular song?

__Alchemist__

• Kplamm!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 11:20:34 am »

eruji -

Ok this is a bit of a fudge - there is probably a better way - but here goes -

First you need to get your ID numbers into your tags - I dont know if there is a quick way to do this in bulk - but you can modify the album tags and input a unique number for each albun inside the comments field for example.

Once you have your numbers in your tags - you can then create a cusotm view scheme

Add Comments and Track # into your custom view scheme and call the scheme AlbumID

You can then play a track using the web remote - I have mine running on port 8080 and a URL like below - where 66334 is my example album number set in the comments field and the 1 is track 1 from that album

http://localhost:8080/play?location=Media+Library%7CAlbumID%7C66334%7C1

you can now use windows scipting host to ask for album number and track number - eg:

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
albumid = InputBox("Please enter AlbumID")
tracknumber = InputBox("Please enter Track #")
Set objIE = WScript.CreateObject ("InternetExplorer.Application")
objIE.Navigate "http://localhost:8080/play?location=Media+Library%7CAlbumID%7C"&albumid&"%7C"&tracknumber
objIE.Visible = flase

save that as c:\albumid.vbs and type c:\albumid.vbs into your webbrowser  or use cscript from dos

cscript /nologo c:\albumid.vbs

Hope that makes sense / helps ? :)

Alex

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 12:35:27 pm »

Why not just use MC's File->Print command?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 12:42:11 pm »

Here's something you could try to get them numbered.

Create a new database field called Temp or something.

Create another database field called SongID or whatever.

Display Media Library

Use the Copy Fields command to copy the Track # of all of your files into the Temp field.

Use the Fill Track # from List Order tool to fill all of the track numbers from 1 to however many songs you have.

Use the Copy Fields command again, only this time copy the Track # of all files to the SongID field.

Use the Copy Fields command one last time to copy Temp back into Track #, so you can have all your track numbers back.

That should number them for you. Of course the ID numbers won't have a set number of digits this way...

nila

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 05:39:03 pm »

Doof - Just wanted to say:

GREAT solution method. That was a smart way of doing it.
A bit of apain when continueing the series for newly added tracks but still a great method.

I wish MC had features to allow us to do basic db field options to the db fields in MC (ie. auto increment).

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2003, 11:57:54 pm »

If the gold date is Friday then after that we can start suggesting things for the next version...remember that Nila and we can put it in the 10.0 Wishlist post ;D

I have a few waiting to go in there myself!!

Adam

eruji

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 01:11:52 pm »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

okay i think alchemist has got the right idea. however i wanted it to be accessed through a standard remote control. so what i did was setup the web remote plugin and setup girder. I have it working, but its really buggy:

basicly i send commands to girder on my remote 3 digit code, it then passes that string to call a webpage like:

http://localhost:8080/play?location=Media+Library%7CAlbumID%7C66334%7C1

except the numbers would be a variable in the actual code.

a web browser pops up and the song starts playing. (sometimes). okay this is the part that doesnt make sense... it will work maybe 2 times, meaning i can change the song being played twice and then MC just becomes unresponsive. and sometimes I will be playing song 1 and then try to switch to song 2 and it shows the song 2 title in the position bar area, but song 1 still contiues to play. I have to restart MC to reset everything. odd...

anyhow is there a better way to use my remote to start playback of a particular song or album by entering a code?

Pages: [1]   Go Up