INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP4/MKV files and tagging -- are the files altered?  (Read 876 times)

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
MP4/MKV files and tagging -- are the files altered?
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:41 pm »

Hi all,

I use FreeFileSync to keep a copy of my media in an outbuilding juuuuust in case of fire or theft.  Network speed is 100mbps.  I want to do a better job at tagging my video files, but I don't want to modify the files themselves since by doing so I'll need to sync them again, and some files are tens of gigabytes in size.  I want to make sure anything flagged as media type: video uses *only* sidecar files.

Is this possible?  Is it in fact a default?  I'm hesitant to test myself if someone can easily enlighten me.

Thanks,
-Doug

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MP4/MKV files and tagging -- are the files altered?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 11:29:58 pm »

Is it in fact a default?

Yes.

I don't think there are any video formats where MC saves the tags in the file. Always in the Sidecar, or not at all, and only kept in the Library, depending on settings at "Options > General > Importing & Tagging". In that section you could turn off all saving of tags to files, or force all saved tags for all formats to be saved into Sidecars.

How about creating a small video file to test, and assure yourself of the above?  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:19:26 pm »

I use a tool ( for tv series) called MetaX which can tag certain movie files.
The rest of the data (not tagging) I do with Tiny Media Manager

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 02:07:58 pm »

As far as I know, MC is only capable of tagging WMV files.  MC *does* directly tag WMV files.  MKVs, avis, etc do not seem to be altered by MC.

Brian.

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:22:13 pm »

Thanks guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up