INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstreaming  (Read 736 times)

Desertpilot

• Recent member
Bitstreaming
« on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:02 pm »

I switched Options Audio to bitstreaming (HDMI) to play Dolby atmos movies.  Works just fine.  I left the system on bitstreaming and played a multichannel DSF music file.  The music file played just fine.  I thought it would not play as my pre/pro DAC does not support multichannel DSF.  I checked and discovered that JRiver converted the file to PCM even though it was set for bitstreaming.

No complaint as I can now just leave bitstreaming selected and play back anything in my library.  But, is this okay or should I change bitstreaming depending on the source file?

Thanks, Marcus

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bitstreaming
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 05:25:39 pm »

The HDMI bitstreaming mode does not enable DSD, so those being converted to PCM still is quite expected. DSD over HDMI is not something you can do from a PC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 07:27:20 pm »

The HDMI bitstreaming mode does not enable DSD, so those being converted to PCM still is quite expected. DSD over HDMI is not something you can do from a PC.
Depends on the connected equipment.  I can send DSD over HDMI to my Oppo players and use them as DACs.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:16:07 am »

Depends on the connected equipment.  I can send DSD over HDMI to my Oppo players and use them as DACs.

The graphics cards managing the HDMI port just don't do native DSD. Theoretically you can use DSD64 over DoP, since it looks just like PCM, but not higher rates, since the sample rate also tops out at 192kHz.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up