INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a standard way to configure a "Boxset" with Vol & Disc ?  (Read 1095 times)

turbo2288

• Recent member

I am a new user, I know this might have been asked a hundred times, but after reading many posts and still have no idea how to make it works.
I have a boxset name "Blues Women Anthology" which has 8 volumes, each volume has 2 disc + cover art.
On my pc I have one folder name "Blues Women Anthology" and have 8 sub-folders "Blues Women Anthology Vol 1-8".
All files were tagged in "album" field, like "Blues Women Anthology Vol 1 Disc 2"
But when I imported the boxset I have 366 individual files show up in the content panel window. Shouldn't it at least group all tracks with the same album name?
I would like one album to be displace as "Blues Women Anthology Boxset" and when I click it will displace 8 Volumes.
Could this be done?? If not how to group 2 disc into one album?
Thank You!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is there a standard way to configure a "Boxset" with Vol & Disc ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:35:39 pm »

Make sure the tags called Album Artist and Album are filled.  Then use the Disc# tag to separate by disc.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

There's a lot of information on Tagging on the wiki.

There is no advantage to having them in separate folders.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 07:20:03 pm »

i like to use the [series] tag for boxsets.  this way you can use a series view as well as regular views, and even use a single cover art for the whole boxset while retaining the disc cover art

as Jim said make sure the [disc #] tag is filled out.  for [album], "Blues Women Anthology Vol 1 Disc 2" would become Blues Women Anthology Vol 1" and you would fill out the appropriate disc tags.   then use another tag (like [series]) with "Blues Women Anthology", and you can use that as a top grouping in a view and get what you are looking for

turbo2288

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 12:51:18 am »

i like to use the [series] tag for boxsets.  this way you can use a series view as well as regular views, and even use a single cover art for the whole boxset while retaining the disc cover art

as Jim said make sure the [disc #] tag is filled out.  for [album], "Blues Women Anthology Vol 1 Disc 2" would become Blues Women Anthology Vol 1" and you would fill out the appropriate disc tags.   then use another tag (like [series]) with "Blues Women Anthology", and you can use that as a top grouping in a view and get what you are looking for

Thanks a lot, but is it too much to ask if you could show me the exact steps?
Thanks JimH too.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 01:48:15 am »

Select the files, and Tag

find the [series] tag, enter the box set name. 
find the [album] tag, enter the album name (for example, Blues Women Anthology Vol 1)
find the [disc #] tag, enter the disc number.  in your case, it will be either 1 or 2, since each individual volume has two discs
that will give you something like in the first two screenshots, where the discs have separate names.  to view the albums as part of one set, you will need a view that looks for [series]

alternatively, you can name the [album] for all the files as the boxset name (for example, Blues Women Anthology)
find the [disc #] tag, and enter the disc number.  in this case, you will start at 1 and end with 16
this will give you something more like the last screencap, where there is one cover art rather than one for each disc, and the discs aren't named differently.  you will see the album in a normal [album] view

you can also use custom tags to give you any level of sorting you like.  there are many ways to achieve the same thing

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 07:10:30 am »

If not how to group 2 disc into one album?

As I think you understand, the issue here is that you have 3 levels to deal with - box set, volume and disc. Typically box sets are easiest to deal with with 2 levels - box set and disc.   You could create the 2 level structure by turning the 3 levels into 2  Just name both discs in Volume 1 as Volume 1 without the disc number in the title and then make each volume into a single pseudo "disc". So you end up with 8 "discs". Then, you need to renumber the tracks of each volume/pseudo disc to be continuous. So, if each actual disc has 10 tracks, the tracks on the second disc of a volume would be numbered 11-20. In the end you have 1 Album with 8 "discs", each with 20 tracks in my example.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:45:55 am »

As I think you understand, the issue here is that you have 3 levels to deal with - box set, volume and disc. Typically box sets are easiest to deal with with 2 levels - box set and disc.   You could create the 2 level structure by turning the 3 levels into 2  Just name both discs in Volume 1 as Volume 1 without the disc number in the title and then make each volume into a single pseudo "disc". So you end up with 8 "discs". Then, you need to renumber the tracks of each volume/pseudo disc to be continuous. So, if each actual disc has 10 tracks, the tracks on the second disc of a volume would be numbered 11-20. In the end you have 1 Album with 8 "discs", each with 20 tracks in my example.

I have a substantial number of 4,5 & 6 disc "Themed Boxsets/Albums" and the way I arrange them in MC is by "Album Artist/Album Name/Track#-Disc#-Track Name.

However, because I use the most powerful labour saving device known to mankind every Track/CD I've used MC to rip has, with the least amount of Human Intervention Required, never required and subsequent human intervention to get them to conform to my "structural preference/standard"

So how do I do it? Well two of MC's greatest assets are: the simple fact that it allows you to choose what tags/fields are visible/present in just about any Window/Panel/View added to the fact that MC will allow you to edit/modify just about every tag it knows about, and even some of it's Database Fields, Including the MC Rip Window.

If you look at the 1st attached image you will see the contents, from the discs "CDText",  of Disk 1 of a 5 disc Boxset. As you can see the Album Name contains the additional information required to differentiate between that cd and any other cd in the set. Plus the next 4 Tags Album Artist, Disc#, Date and Genre are all empty. Now if I was to rip that disc without making any alterations/edits I would end up with 20 Tracks in a folder that used the Album Name as presented in the Rip Window. Which means that by the time I'd ripped all 5 disks I would have ended up with 5 folders with each one having a different variation of the Album Name which contravenes my requirements.

Now if you look at the 2nd attached image you will see the results of the "simple bulk edits" needed to guarantee that when all 5 discs have been ripped there is only one folder on my PC containing all 100 tracks in that album/boxset. In a way that makes them recognisable to most Media Players, Internet Metadata Searches and that cranky thing  MS call an Operating System.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

turbo2288

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 12:33:50 pm »

Pretty Challenging!! I will work on it and see if I could get desired result.
Thanks all !! ;)

One more question: Does changing the tags of a mp3 music file in MC suppose to change the tags in the actual file itself??
I am confused!

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 01:24:34 pm »

Pretty Challenging!! I will work on it and see if I could get desired result.
Thanks all !! ;)

One more question: Does changing the tags of a mp3 music file in MC suppose to change the tags in the actual file itself??
I am confused!

MC allows you to choose between Only Changing the Tags in the MC Database/Library and Changing them in Both the MC Database/Library and the actual file.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 01:29:48 pm »

I am confused!

You set that for each tag in Library & Folders - Manager LIbrary Fields

turbo2288

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 11:10:09 am »

Thanks again! This is a great forum for MC help and advice. :)

turbo2288

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 05:41:33 pm »

After spending hours and hours working on it, and reading many related post and your suggestions, I think I might have got it figured out.
[or I might miss something? please commend]

1: I changed all "Album" Tags to "Blues Women Anthology [Boxset]"
2: I changed all "Album Artist" to "Various Artist"
3: I go to Option>Library & Folders>Manage Library Fields>Add New Field and added a "Vol.#" field.
4: I tagged all the files with correct "Vol.#"   [Vol.1, Vol.2..........so on]
5: I tagged all the files with correct "Disc#"   [Disc 1 & Disc 2 with each Volume]
6: I "Customize View" a new view by adding: Album>Vol.#>Disc#  and set "View As Categories"

And the final result is exactly what I wanted, please see my poorly made video:
https://youtu.be/fpnbpniC1eY

Thank you all again for your help and I am quite satisfied with JRiver being a great app.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 05:46:22 pm »

Sounds great.  As you found out, the tagging and viewing capabilities are extensive and can be customize to do almost anything you want. It takes some effort to understand the capabilities, but once you have done a project like this, it will open up all sorts of options.

Congratulations!
Pages: [1]   Go Up