INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting "Something went wrong with playback" error message  (Read 1146 times)

MikeDavid

• Recent member
Getting "Something went wrong with playback" error message
« on: January 18, 2020, 03:26:02 pm »

I just upgraded to 26 and have been having problems figuring out how to play music the way I used to using 24.  Stupidly I erased 24 before I got 26 up and running so I can't look at my settings on there.  I have been browsing around on these forums for 2 hours and can't seem to figure it out myself so I thought I would ask my questions here. 

Now, I used to be able to play everything I wanted through my 24- streamed Quboz, Spotify, used VLC for FLAC playback, you name it.  Now I can only stream directly through to the DAC w/o is even going through JRiver, which I know is not optimal.  When I try to hit the play button and stream through I get a pop-up dialog box that says "Something went wrong with playback".  I can't figure that one out. 

Secondly, when I am able to play FLAC and music stored in my library through 26 I am only able to use the native speakers on my laptop and can't get it to playback through my DAC. 

I am not sure where to turn and need some help. 

Thanks

PS- Oh, I have a standard Dell laptop

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Getting "Something went wrong with playback" error message
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:24:51 pm »

You say you 'erased' MC24 before installing MC26 but hopefully you have not deleted the Library Backups created by MC24.

You can reinstall your MC24 settings onto MC26 by using File>Library>Library Restore and make sure the 'Restore Settings' option is selected.
The Library Backups for MC24 should be in C:\<YourUserName>\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 24\Library Backups\

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

MikeDavid

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:02 pm »

You say you 'erased' MC24 before installing MC26 but hopefully you have not deleted the Library Backups created by MC24.

You can reinstall your MC24 settings onto MC26 by using File>Library>Library Restore and make sure the 'Restore Settings' option is selected.
The Library Backups for MC24 should be in C:\<YourUserName>\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 24\Library Backups\

Terry

Thanks for the response.  I tried what you suggested and received an error message - "Please select a valid library backup". 

FWIW- I Installed MC26 before I deleted MC24.  I made sure MC26 was working first (and it was working) then deleted MC24 because I read somewhere that is what you should do.  Since I deleted MC24 I reset my computer and now MC26 stopped working.   

Also FWIW- I did figure out how to play FLAC's directly from my computer library but I still cannot get any streaming service to go through JRiver's application.  I originally purchased MC24 to do specifically this because I was told it routes the sound more directly through my computer to my external DAC.  Right now I can play my streaming services through the D30 Wasapi setting on my speakers and send it directly to my DAC but it is not being controlled through JRiver like it used to be. 

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 07:06:46 pm »

Did you setup WDM driver correctly?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

MikeDavid

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:32 pm »

I can't imagine I did, lol.  I don't even know what that means. 

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 08:22:20 am »

Thanks for the response.  I tried what you suggested and received an error message - "Please select a valid library backup".

You got the error message because you didn't select a library backup, you need to click on the 'Browse' button in the Library Restore dialog box and search for an MC24 library backup file.
It will be called something like 'MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2019-12-17 22-43).zip' and will be located in a folder like this:
C:\<YourUsername>\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 24\Library Backups

So the full path to the file will be:
C:\<YourUsername>\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 24\Library Backups\MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2019-12-17 22-43).zip
Obviously the date and time part of the filename will be different (2019-12-17 22-43).

Good luck

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

MikeDavid

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 01:26:24 pm »

I had actually set up my WDM driver before, now that I checked.  I still don't know what that means, but I did check the box in the General tab and reset my program.  Having said that, I have no idea if I set it up properly or not. 

Thanks

MikeDavid

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 01:27:51 pm »

You got the error message because you didn't select a library backup, you need to click on the 'Browse' button in the Library Restore dialog box and search for an MC24 library backup file.
It will be called something like 'MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2019-12-17 22-43).zip' and will be located in a folder like this:
C:\<YourUsername>\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 24\Library Backups

So the full path to the file will be:
C:\<YourUsername>\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 24\Library Backups\MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2019-12-17 22-43).zip
Obviously the date and time part of the filename will be different (2019-12-17 22-43).

Good luck

Terry

Terry,

Thanks again for the response.  I was able to do what you are saying this time and did not get an error message.  It didn't seem to help, though.  I am in the same position I was in before- Where I can play FLAC's stored on my computer but can't stream anything through the application.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 02:27:21 pm »

The wiki has a topic on WDM.

MikeDavid

• Recent member
Re: Getting "Something went wrong with playback" error message [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 02:47:14 pm »

The wiki has a topic on WDM.

OK, I think I finally got it.  I had already installed the WDM driver, I just hadn't made the default setting JRiver. 

Thanks, my streaming sounds awesome again. 

One more problem I have and I think it will be the way I like it.  I don't know if this makes a difference or not but when I went to set up the default program to JRiver it only gave me the option of selecting JRiver 24/25 as the default device.  I have MC26 but it didn't show up as an option.  I assume it's the same driver but can't be too sure. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up