INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver and LG C9  (Read 1599 times)

Davide1983

JRiver and LG C9
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:19:41 am »

Hi, I would like to use JRiver as a media center but to use the TV in this case an LG C9 as a processor and then view the video on the TV, as the computer on which JRiver is installed is not as powerful as the TV. How can I do ? Use the home LAN? other options? No Wireless, bluetooth and other wifi system.
thank you.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver and LG C9
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 07:07:02 am »

When you say no wireless ... you mean your house has no WiFi or you do not want to use WiFi to stream media?

You can connect your TV to LAN ... and it will be available as DLNA renderer

Then you can browse MC library with JRemote on your tablets ... then render selection to your TV (that assumes your house has WiFi for your tablets to access MC)

You can also connect your PC to TV with HDMI ... use it to browse your library ... but when playing render directly to TV with DLNA (so your TV process it)

You can use your TV to access MC library through DLNA (interface might not be as pretty)

You can use TV browser to access MC through Panel

PC. There are no MC clients for LG TVs which use webOS
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Davide1983

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 04:09:57 am »

Ok thanks, and with DLNA can i play video from tv but audio from pc?

thanks

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 05:23:42 am »

Yes you can ... need to setup Zones ... then play video to TV DLNA zone ... and audio to PC zone (this can be set up automatically)

I know it’s possible but never did it myself ... so can read up on Zones on wiki

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

Then post questions if I run into problems ... somebody will surely help
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Manfred

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:09 am »

I have also a server in a different room and an LG TV in the living room. I have tested DLNA using the LG APP for Video and Images but UX  (fast forward does not work etc.) was not what I expected so I have my additional PC based Media Renderer in the Living room using JRemote to control it.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

merman-corrode-portage

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:35:56 pm »

Yes you can ... need to setup Zones ... then play video to TV DLNA zone ... and audio to PC zone (this can be set up automatically)

I know it’s possible but never did it myself ... so can read up on Zones on wiki

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

Then post questions if I run into problems ... somebody will surely help

Hey I'm having the same issue. I'd like to play from my pc jriver MC app via wifi to my LGC9 running webos. There seems to be no DLNA settings on the tv and no way to setup the tv as a DLNA zone.

The only way I've managed to get it to work so far is to use airplay, however this requires manually switching the mac system output to LG airplay, rebooting MC then changing output device to airplay. It's a pita to do every time i want to play some music.

Any ideas?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 01:00:38 am »

Is your TV is on the same subnet as your PC ... check their IP addresses to make sure they are

wer

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 12:32:28 am »

To the posters with LG TVs, I've been in your shoes.

Let me offer you some advice from extensive experience....

You will be 100 times happier if you just hookup a small pc running MC directly to your TV (or through a receiver) rather than trying to use DLNA.

If you persist in pursuing DLNA, here is what you will find:

-Many video formats will not play properly and will have to be converted
-Many audio formats are not supported
-You'll have to convert many things for compatibility, and will therefore lose quality.
-Fast forward and rewind for videos will often not work at all
-The LG app will often crash, and force you to renavigate back through all the folders of your DLNA server to get back where you were
-You cannot stop/quit a video and come back ot it later since fast forward won't work you will have to start again from the beginning
-Many of the wonderful features of MC will be unavailable to you.

Sure, you can get it to work sometimes for somethings, but some of the above will torture you every day.  LG will not fix the issues because DLNA is of zero importance to them. Use of the DLNA app should be considered a last resort. Almost anything else will give you a better experience.

You bought an LG OLED for the quality of the presentation.  And you're not going to meet that expectation going through DLNA.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the reality.

Even a tiny, NUC-like, fanless PC can make a great JRiver media server. You can do wonderful audio and video from something the size of a box of kleenex. You can exploit all the capabilities of your OLED.  I have an HTPC out of sight in a cabinet under my TV and I'm happy as a clam.  I strongly urge you to go that route.

You've been warned. Good luck.  :)

merman-corrode-portage

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 09:55:25 pm »

I ended up buying a nuc, fantastic to use jriver on, however I'd note that windows 10 has pretty shoddy HDR implementation.

wer

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 10:54:58 pm »

Good for you.  I'm glad it's working out for you...

I'd encourage you to post a review of your NUC / JRiver combination on the PC's and other Hardware board.  There are lots of different NUCs and they're always changing, and it would be very helpful to others to hear your experiences about what specifically does and does not work well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up