INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting files from Client side?  (Read 905 times)

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Deleting files from Client side?
« on: April 30, 2003, 01:03:21 pm »

I access the MC database from the client side.  All the mp3 files are on the server side.  Is there a way to delete files from the server when using the client side of MC?  The client side allows it to happen, but as soon as I close the client and open it again, the formerly deleted file is still there.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Deleting files from Client side?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 01:30:49 pm »

Well... if somebody other than yourself managed to connect in to your media server without you knowing, would you want them to be able to delete your entire library?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 01:32:06 pm »

No...and it makes sense to keep it that way. Any operation on the client side that alters the library is not allowed. I think that eventually the client will be able to create and store Playlists / Smartlists locally...since the server library is not affected...but this capability isn't there yet.

10-27

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 01:38:40 pm »

I could see how most people wouldn't want the client to be able to delete files.  Here is why I need the feature:

Server has FM tuner that records Howard Stern radio show every day, and saves as 1 hour long mp3 files.  I listen to the files from multiple PCs or Tivo in the house, or after I sync with my Archos mp3 player.  If I listen to the mp3 while in the house using a client side of MC, I need to be able to delete the file after I listen to it.  The content is very disposable, so I delete about 5 files per day after I listen to them.

I guess the only workaround is to remote control the server, and delete the file from the server side of MC, then rebuild the database manually.

If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears!  ;-)

PS.  MC is awesome!

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 04:13:39 pm »

Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Record the show to the same filename each day (as I do with several news shows)

2. Save the files to a folder that is shared on the network and manipulate the files that way.

Pages: [1]   Go Up