INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Network: Custom View Sorting Help  (Read 1629 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Media Network: Custom View Sorting Help
« on: February 10, 2020, 11:48:00 am »

I have a custom view for Media Network to show Movies by date imported in descending order.  This works great, but somehow a few movies I moved around and they got re-imported.  So I implemented a new field from searching on the forums called Date Imported (Editable).  I could add a different date imported to this field.  I then created a calculated field (Date Added) that takes the new field or the original date imported field.  It works great in views in MC (Sort By > Custom > Date Added (z-a)), but in the Media Network option, I can't figure out how to add a Category and sort by something that's not in the Settings window. 

So specifically, in the attached screenshot, I don't want to sort by Date Imported, I want to sort by Date Added.

Is this possible?

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Network: Custom View Sorting Help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »

I'd like to bump this up prior to the weekend. 

Is there any way to use additional sorting options in the Media Network views?

Thanks!

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 01:32:29 pm »

I don't have a way of testing DNLA views where I am now.  ...in fact I don't really have an easy way of doing it at home either I don't think...

But I've messed with the dialog and I think what you want is to change from a Library field to an Expression.  Then make your Display expression what you want to see (like Album title), and make your SORT BY expression your Custom date field.

Give it a try and see if that works for you.

Good luck!

Brian.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 03:11:32 pm »

There appears to be a set number of fields in that sort-by box, unlike when you build a custom view.  A custom view inside of MC, has a "Custom" category where I can pick my new field.  I'm thinking this isn't possible without MC making a change to add the Custom option to the Customize Views section, but was hoping to get confirmation. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 05:35:45 pm »

If you use an Expression item, the best you can do is sort by Display Expression, which would mean you would have to set the Display Expression to the new Date Added (z-a) field. Probably undesirable.

I thought you could sort by a User field when using a Search List, but alas, only standard fields are shown for sorting there as well.

I think the answer is to fix the original problem, and update the [Date Imported] field for those movies that are incorrect. There is a trick to doing that documented somewhere in the forum...

... Oh. That fix doesn't work for [Date Imported], as Glynor noted in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,97481.msg673556.html#msg673556  In fact it looks like you might have gotten your current solution from that thread.

So I was wondering if Data Fiddler could do it, and sure enough, it seems it can!

That seems worth a try.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:53:44 pm »

... Oh. That fix doesn't work for [Date Imported], as Glynor noted in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,97481.msg673556.html#msg673556  In fact it looks like you might have gotten your current solution from that thread.

So I was wondering if Data Fiddler could do it, and sure enough, it seems it can!

That seems worth a try.

Yeah, Date Imported is pretty inflexible.  I've used other tricks with Date fields to back-update them, but those don't work with Date Imported.

I'll look into Data Fiddler.  Hopefully this isn't something that I have to do often.  It's just 4 or 5 random old DVDs that are popping up in the middle of my new Blu-Ray titles that are irritating me.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 06:45:22 pm »

Cool, that did it.  Thanks for the point in the right direction!

I did have some problems with those directions (they are a few years old).  For example, I didn't see FileKey anywhere in the GUI, but I knew I had seen in an MCWS response before, so I just called an info to get it back on the items as I added them to the playing now.

I also couldn't get the export to work at all.  It just made a 1KB file and the app crashed.  But I didn't really need that, I just needed the FileKey entries for 5 files.

Once I imported the text file back in, the Date Imported on those items changed and my MCWS view now sorts how I want to.  It would be nice to have the same "Custom" option on that view builder as you do for the MC views themselves.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 10:09:03 pm »

Excellent. Thanks for letting us know it worked, with a bit of extra work.

Yes, it would be nice if the sort options in View definition were more universal, and if all fields were available in those options, not just a select few.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up