INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Analysis and multi value options  (Read 1423 times)

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
Audio Analysis and multi value options
« on: April 24, 2003, 10:14:58 am »

It would seem that this is the next logical step for AA, customizable analysis, as in I want it to do BPM and intensity, but the replay gain I find problematic. So to pick and choose what AA values are collected during an analysis would be flexible. This also answers the individual who finds the BPM to be less accurate than another prog he uses regularly, and eliminates his need to copy BPM to another field, AA, then copy back.

Also, I would like to see an option to have a replay gain value across an album, not just for individual songs. I find that the individual settings creates uneven and wholly unintended results on an album. Up/down/soft/hard/noisy/quiet inlfections are extremely important to the emotion of an album as a whole. Replay gain currently strips that emotion to an unspectacular flatline effect. The ability to create an album-average value would be a welcome option.

Thanks,

WP

zevele10

Re: Audio Analysis and multi value options
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 12:37:24 pm »

I remove PeplayGain when i play full album.
Well ,better to say that ,after 2 tracks ,i remember to close it.....
But the album average value would be really veeery cooool

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 01:13:56 pm »

Yep, I agree. I requested this late in the 8 beta days and all throughout 9. Maybe for 10?

Alternatively, it would be nice if MC had an option to turn off Replay Gain when Playing Now only contained one album. It can pretty accurately detect complete albums now, so why not?

But Album Gain would be much much nicer.

But then MC would have to be smart enough to see that Playing Now only consisted of complete albums, and thus know to use Album Gain instead of Radio Gain. That, to me, would be the ideal.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 02:27:45 pm »

I posted an idea about this a while back... and I got not even a nibble... oh well....

Anyway, I was thinking of writing a plugin that would reset replay gain on an album by album basis, but instead of averaging the gain, I would find the lowest gain (highest in absolute value) and set the gain for all songs to that number.  Reason being that I want the peaks (within an album) to remain as they are.  Average could certainly be another option.

What do you think? I've yet to write any plugins, and I'm not yet familiar enough with the api(s) to know whether this would be possible?

Thanks,
Stuart

phelt

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 04:01:01 pm »

salsbst1 - sorry to hear that you didn't get response to your initial thread, but I suspect that you will get solid interest in your efforts. With all due respect to the J River crew (and that's a lot, IMO) the ReplayGain implementation in MJ and MC could stand some work.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 03:34:23 pm »

I started a new thread in the plugin development area in which I outline my ideas and some challenges that I see in dealing with album-based replay gain:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dev;action=display;num=1051658962;start=0

lllistener

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 10:36:25 pm »

It is sufficient if Media Center allows its users to change the [replay gain] field. This seems to me a relatively simple change that should involve very little code change, thus very little risk.

Also, once the user can change the [replay gain] field, it would be simple to set the gain for an album to any value.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 06:42:40 am »

It is sufficient if Media Center allows its users to change the [replay gain] field. This seems to me a relatively simple change that should involve very little code change, thus very little risk.

Also, once the user can change the [replay gain] field, it would be simple to set the gain for an album to any value.

Agreed on the ability to change the RG in the UI.... but for now it can be done in the automation API.  I wouldn't want to have to change all of my albums by hand, though, so I still think there's a need for some sort of feature or plug-in to deal with album based RG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up