INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO 192kHz clipping  (Read 705 times)

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
ASIO 192kHz clipping
« on: March 08, 2020, 11:07:55 am »

Greatday,

At least two Hi-Res tracks in WAV 192kHz which seems to clip when played straight forward.

I've heard it before when using MC as player, tought it was the mastering.
But today found again a case/song and tried some alternative settings:

Adding Volume Leveling to the MC process seems to resolve the clipping.
I'm using the ASIO output.
DSP Studio shows 100% peak level over a long period during the song.
JRiver's Volume leveling will reduce the peak level to approx 40% and no more clipping.

Normally I'm trying to avoid stuff like volume levelling, but it seems the only method at this stage when using MC.

Jeff Buckley - Grace 192kHz - Mojo Pin.

In case wanted i can send file/track to the developers.

v26.0.30

Thanks for checking.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: ASIO 192kHz clipping
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 11:31:17 am »

You can use an audio editor like Audacity to look at the waveform. That will tell you if the clipping is in the original file.  If the original file is clipped, then decreasing the volume with something like volume leveling will not help.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 11:59:20 am »

Dear Dtc, thanks for your fast answer,

Maybe my explanation wasn't complete, sorry, but the activation of Volume Levelling within MC's DSP Studio DOES avoid the clipping within this song/file.

Thanks for testing and in case someone on the team wants the file to check the clipping scenario as described, let me know and I'll send to you.

Thanks.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 01:53:12 pm »

If your source WAV file contains clipping, this means your source is damaged.  Volume Leveling will not repair this damage.  It may give the impression that the clipping no longer happens, but there is damage of the source.  It will not be repaired by this technique.

The true fix is to re-record the WAV files with source levels set correctly so that no clipping ever happens in the first place.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »

Thanks Jamil,

OK I've pointed this out to the respective 'online platform selling High Resolution Audio files'.
As i just found the 'other' album where i did noticed this 'problem' before: Joe Bonamassa's The ballad of John Henry.
This album also seems to be a purchase I've made from the same platform.

And yes dtc, i used your suggested analyzer and the clipping is indeed present onto the WAV source.
I'm even more surprised to notice the fact the Volume Levelling feature seems to mask the effect of clipping on the 192kHz file but not onto the 44,1 kHz one. Any technical logic behind it, out of curiosity ?

Thanks to both of you for your input.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 08:38:27 am »

I do not know why volume leveling sounds better. I just always like to go back to the source to check out problems. Hopefully the seller who provided the faulty files will admit it and at least refund your money.  They often are not aware of problems like this, since they just assume that the people who provide the files to them have mastered them correctly, especially for 24/192 files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up