INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server client config for importing media?  (Read 962 times)

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server client config for importing media?
« on: April 28, 2003, 05:09:24 pm »

I am running 9.0.162 on 2 machines.

#1 is in a home closet and running the server component of Media Center 9.  All the mp3 files are on this computer.

#2 is in my home office and can correctly network with #1 and pulls down the library information from #1.

Here is my question:
On machine #1, I have a folder that is fluidly updated with a lot of MP3 files (another app recording radio show, downloads, etc).  I use the folder as a stagging area where I do some clean up and then move the files to another area on #1 when ready (using the Windows OS to move them).

If I use Media Center on #1, and select "import media", I can properly update the database to show the newly added mp3 files in their proper place.

But, it's inconvenient to force the "import" on machine #1 because of it's location (or with PC Anywhere).  Is there a way to use the client side on #2 to do the update of the database remotely?  I tried to do "Library/Import Media" on #2, but it created duplicate entries in the database of #2.

Thanks! :)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Server client config for importing media
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 05:43:04 pm »

I'm not aware of an elegant way to do that presently, but I too would also like to be able to do what you are describing.

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
  • don't take any wooden nickles...
Re: Media Server client config for importing media
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 10:40:45 pm »

I have a thought...

You do clean-up on the files in your "Staging Area" folder.  You then place the files into another folder on the server.  Call it "Loading Dock".

On the server you program Media Scheduler to do a Periodic/Custom task.  The command would be to import from the Loading Dock -- once a day.  Or once every couple hours.

Wouldn't be instant gratification, but the files would eventually be added to the library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up