INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streamzap Receiver, USB IR input  (Read 2481 times)

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Streamzap Receiver, USB IR input
« on: December 10, 2002, 07:56:06 pm »

I bought a Streamzap.  It's nice.  I want to use other remotes with the receiver.  I think controlling MC with my Sony receiver's remote would be SWEET.  But I can't, & I don't want to buy another IR receiver.  I need help.  :D

From what I've read tonight, Girder and uICE both have "generic" device plugins... all you do is tell it what com port to listen to.  My Streamzap is on USB.  So I need to tell Girder or uICE to listen to USB or get a serial-to-usb adapter.  I prefer the former, for sure.

Can anyone help me?
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Streamzap Receiver, USB IR input
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 08:12:59 pm »

I bought a Streamzap.  It's nice.  I want to use other remotes with the receiver.  I think controlling MC with my Sony receiver's remote would be SWEET.  But I can't, & I don't want to buy another IR receiver.  I need help.  :D

From what I've read tonight, Girder and uICE both have "generic" device plugins... all you do is tell it what com port to listen to.  My Streamzap is on USB.  So I need to tell Girder or uICE to listen to USB or get a serial-to-usb adapter.  I prefer the former, for sure.

Can anyone help me?

Yes. I've just been through this with StreamZap. Their receiver's driver doesn't actually pass along the raw IR signals to the various control programs' plugins. Therefore, although the little light on the receiver blinks, the StreamZap software is ignoring the signals because the IR codes aren't one of the 30-some-odd that are on the SZ remote. I think this means that even if Girder/uICE had a USB plugin, or if you got a USB->Serial converter, you'd be out of luck...

StreamZap has had "Universal IR Support (Coming Soon)" on their website ever since I bought mine several months ago. I'd suggest emailing them to see if they are actually going to upgrade their drivers to include this feature.

Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck with using the SZ Remote or purchasing a more generic IR receiver (IRMan or UIRT) that does use the COM port natively.

That being said...Girder is so flexible that if you have the patience, you can set it up so that one (or more) of the SZ Remote buttons functions as a SHIFT key, allowing you to assign different commands to the same IR code event. I've done something similar in my quest to control MJ with IR. I think I'm up to nearly 90-odd commands for MJ alone, all done with SZ IR codes.

Good luck,
Brad

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 08:16:42 pm »

You might want to check out the Girder forum.  I've seen a reference to a Girder 3.2 plug-in for Streamzap being available on the Streamzap web site.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 08:56:05 pm »

You might want to check out the Girder forum.  I've seen a reference to a Girder 3.2 plug-in for Streamzap being available on the Streamzap web site.

Aye, I have it.  It allows Girder to recognize the Streamzap remote commands.  Only the Streamzap remote, though... no other remotes handshake with Girder.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 06:16:27 am »

Aye, I have it.  It allows Girder to recognize the Streamzap remote commands.  Only the Streamzap remote, though... no other remotes handshake with Girder.

Gotcha.   The non-Streamzap remote codes never reach Girder so as Brad said, Streamzap has to do the work on their end.  
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

fixitnate

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 07:15:57 pm »

I have a Streamzap PC remote and am using Girder... er, TRYING to use Girder to get something going on with Media Jukebox and a few other programs.  I can set up numerous commands for MJ and they work great... until I power down my PC and bring it back up.  It's as if the handle or the command for the function in MJ changes each time you run the program.  

Anyone have any ideas on how I might get stuff to work without leaving my PC on 24/7?
Pages: [1]   Go Up