INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Access Problem - Win 10 [Solved -- Comcast Issue]  (Read 1092 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Remote Access Problem - Win 10 [Solved -- Comcast Issue]
« on: March 21, 2020, 12:41:10 pm »

I cannot access MC26 remotely with JRemote or Gizmo.  I have used both with Windows 7 and Windows 8 for years, but with Windows 10 I cannot connect remotely. It works fine locally. 

I have port 52196 open on my router (Comcast) and two separate port checkers confirm that 52196 is open.  I have Comcast's Xfi Advanced Security features turned off, since I have had other problems with them.

I am using Windows Defender and have the appropriate virus control settings installed.  I also have the Windows Defender Firewall enabled and have opened access for MC 26 and have set up TCP and UDP port forwarding access in the Defender Firewall.  I have also tried disabling the Windows Defender Firewall but I still cannot access MC remotely.

Neither Gizmo and JRemote can access MC26 remotely, either with the access code or the outside ip address (JRemote).  The Media Network option to check the connection also fails.

So, the connection fails even when Windows Defender Firewall is turned off. But, the port checkers tell me that the port is open.

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated. Not sure to look more at W10 or at Comcast. I am relatively new to W10 and still cling to my old Windows 7 main system, which just works. This has been going on for a while, but now that I have extended time at home, I thought I would try to get this working.

Windows 10, MC 26.0.30.

Thanks.

Here are some shots of my current settings.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remote Access Problem - Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 12:46:13 pm »

McAfee could be the problem.  I'd suggest using Windows Defender only.

The usual port is 52199 and should be forwarded to the machine where the server is.

The wiki has a topic called Network Access.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 01:09:23 pm »

I am not using McAfee. It came with the system but has been removed. It appears that those 2 entries remain in Defender. But McAfee is not installed on this system.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 01:14:18 pm »

Then try deleting those entries.

Port 52196 isn't the standard port.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:14:39 pm »

McAfee could be the problem.  I'd suggest using Windows Defender only.

The usual port is 52199 and should be forwarded to the machine where the server is.

The wiki has a topic called [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access][url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url][/url].

I have several systems so have used different numbers for each. The latest is 52196.  52199 is in use for another system.

I am very familiar with how network access works and have read all of the Wiki articles over the years.   I reviewed the Wiki articles and they do not tell me anything new and, in particular, do not have any new insight on Windows 10 or Comcast routers.

Do you have any insight on what else I should set up in Windows 10 other than what I showed?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 01:16:53 pm »

Then try deleting those entries.

Port 52196 isn't the standard port.

Entries deleted. No difference.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 02:09:20 pm »

Under Media Network settings, you can test the connection.

Windows 10 itself is no different.  The firewall could be a problem or routing could be a problem.

Make sure you aren't using duplicate Access Keys.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »

I already did that - see original post.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 02:31:58 pm »

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 02:40:57 pm »

I may be OK now. I turned the Comcast Advanced Security on and off and nothing changed. But I did notice that as I did so, some of the port checkers said the port was open and some said it was closed. I also noticed that I was being blocked from getting to one of the port checker sites.   I have seen this before with the Comcast Advanced Security. When on, it sometimes blocks legitimate sites.  That is why I do not use it. But, it seems like somehow some of its "advanced features" were active, even though "advanced security"  was turned off. So, I rebooted the Comcast router and now things seem to be working as expected, with the Comcast Advanced Security features turned off and with the Defender Firewall on or off.  So, I guess I do not get any messages when Steve climbs through my daughter's  window :) (That's a reference to a TV ad.)

So, the culprit  seems to have been the Comcast Advanced Security features, even though they were set to off. As always, when in doubt, reboot.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 02:50:48 pm »

Well, the problem is back. But I think the clear culprit is Comcast, so I will work on them for a while. Arg...

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Remote Access Problem - Win 10 [Solved -- Comcast Issue]
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 09:20:23 pm »

OK - I think I finally got the Advanced Security on the Comcast router to stay off and now port forwarding seems to work OK. What a pain.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 02:24:00 pm »

Try this site:
https://canyouseeme.org/

There are lots of port checkers out there. In my searches I came across

https://www.ipfingerprints.com/portscan.php

which not only checks the port but also sees if anything is filtering traffic that goes through the port. That gave me a clue that Comcast may be monitoring the port, even though it was open.  Nice additional to the normal port checker which only tells if it is open or closed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up