INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip/Encode Crash - hardware or software?  (Read 927 times)

LisaRCT

Rip/Encode Crash - hardware or software?
« on: April 26, 2003, 06:32:03 am »

Ripping caused MC9 to crash HARD!

While ripping CD's MC9 (Build 9.160/9.161) crashed the system causing an immediate reboot under the following circumstances:

1- I had a CD in each of my three drives and MC9 had been set to rip all three in sucession

2- Options were set to 'Rip & Encode Simultaneously'

3- Encoding to MP3 - VBR - Quality:Custom (advanced setting: command line: --alt-preset fast standard)

Upon the system restarting I again openned MC9 and got an error message stating that I must delete everything in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data as it was "from a previous trial of MC9" and was invalid.
This occurred three times in a row.

When I reduced the number of drives used to Two (2) rather than Three (3) the problem ceased to occur.
However,
When I changed the options and removed the check from "Rip & Encode Simultaneously" the problem ceased to occur Even when Using THREE (3) Drives again.  

?

I guess it could be my system    
Too processor-intessive for too long a sustained period?
MC9 ran out of working ram? (have 1.5 GB DDR)
:-/

Any clues would be appreciated.
::)

Media Center Registered 9.0.161 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1732 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1572 MB, Free - 1147 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929)wnaspi32.dll: 2.0.1.27 , Nero Aspi Library, Copyright © 1999-2001 ahead software gmbh / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

LisaRCT

Re: Rip/Encode Crash - hardware or software?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 10:39:12 am »

Since I changed the options and removed the 'rip & encode simultaneously' checkmark, the program (and my hardware  :P ) have been performing fine.

:D

Maybe I will get brave and try checking the 'rip & encode simultaneously' again ?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 05:29:08 am »

If it crashes again with rip/encode simultaneous checked, please try a different encoder (ape or wma) and see if it crashes. This would narrow it down to an encoding problem.

Thanks.
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 11:39:19 am »

Of course, that makes perfect sense.
. . . I did try changing from VBR to CBR with no better luck, but will do a test sample later tonight with some other encoders.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up