INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does MC26 put files into C:\windows?  (Read 519 times)

barchar

• Recent member
Why does MC26 put files into C:\windows?
« on: April 03, 2020, 05:46:47 am »

I noticed this in the guide on taming defender. IMHO it's kinda justified to freak out a little if it sees executables it doesn't know about appearing in system32.

Why does MC need to place these executables there at all?

millst

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Why does MC26 put files into C:\windows?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 01:34:24 pm »

I assumed it was an easy (lazy?) way to ensure it's always found in your path.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why does MC26 put files into C:\windows?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 05:07:56 pm »

JRiver has to put mcxx.exe MC Launch program into the "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" directories to ensure that any commands issued using Command Line parameters work as expected.

See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line

Yes, they could have added MC to the Windows Path variables, but the path is pretty long, and if multiple versions of MC are installed, that is going to slow things down. It is just a small stub program used to issue all sorts of control over MC. When they didn't do this in the past some things didn't work correctly.

I have no idea what Best Practice is these days to achieve the same result, but this works.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up