INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Sort Problems - going back to v8 again.  (Read 1532 times)

gkerber

More Sort Problems - going back to v8 again.
« on: April 27, 2003, 03:19:13 pm »

I re-upgraded to v9 again today.  Sorting is still unusable for me (unless I am doing something wrong).

I cannot get 5 levels of sorting.  I get up to 4 and then it throws off the 4th level when I try to sort on a 5th field.  

And what if I only want 3 levels, how would I ever clear the 4th level?

Really, the old v8 method of choosing the default sort level as set up in the options was best, or at least better than v9.  As it is right now, I cannot use v9, I need 5 levels of sorting

Artis, Ord (custom field), Album, Track, Name

Anyone know how I can get this default sort, all the time, everytime, no if's and or buts.

Default is so important, not only for using at the computer, but what about when using webremote?  Unless there is a useful and repeatable default sort, one never knows what order music will play, which is just like random shuffle to me, which I can't stand and have never used

(Led Zeppelin II should always be played in the proper order, as god intended....)

So hopefully I am missing something, I have searched the options for something that will let me sort to 5 levels, nothing, and as we all know the help is for v8 anyway.

So I am reverting back to v8 again.....

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Se: More Sort Problems - going back to v8 again.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 03:50:07 pm »

> And what if I only want 3 levels, how would I ever clear the 4th level?

Good point! I also see no way to clear a column sort, it can only be moved to another column. That my friend is a bug.

I have figured out how to save the view without checking/unchecking the box in Options (so it can be left unchecked)...
=> Set your sort..right click on any of the column headers...select "Save Current View"

10-27

gkerber

Re: More Sort Problems - going back to v8 again.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 04:02:22 pm »

One man's bug is another man's feature....

There may be very many good ways to handle default sorting, but v9 is not one of them.  The v8 method, where it was defined in "options" was a good one, there may be others.

Hopefully this sorting issue will be resolved shortly and we can move on.  

I may be able to live with 4 levels of sorting from

artist,ord(custom 2),album,track,name

to the same thing leaving off the name, still playing around.

But why a limit of 4, why not 8 or 123 or 3, why is 4 special?

dragyn

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 04:09:01 pm »

I have a view scheme with 5 columns sorted and it works just fine. I think the limit they set it at was 6 columns.

As for removing the 4th sort, just re-sort them again.

I'll agree there should be default sorting like in v8 but when you 'make all views like current' to begin with, it should remember them.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 04:42:06 pm »

Sknning shows the 4 last sort levels.  We remember way more levels. (it doesn't hurt anything to remember more levels than you're really using)

We had to draw the display line somewhere.  Is it that big of a deal that we picked 4?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 04:44:25 pm »

Only showing 4 is no problem at all.  I had a bad time getting more than 4 sort levels to work, showing or not.  I will try again.  Thanks for the quick reply.

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 04:56:02 pm »

Okay, this seems to be working, (good I played around before reverting back to v8).  It's really not intuitive how to set sort order to be a default, this should be a well written topic in  the v9 help, and easy to find.  It could be easier to set, but I can live it with it as is no problem, but documentation will help new users (and reviewers) figure it out.

Thanks.  I'll keep playing, who knows, maybe I'll let v9 look at all my files (so as not to corrupt all the tags for v8 like it did last time I reverted....)

Any chance of getting "text and icons" back for the toolbar? Selective Text on Right is okay for the few that have text, but what those little meaningless icons for "Recently Imported", "Import Media", "Properties", etc.... It really taxes my brain to try and associate those little random pictures with their function, and tool-tips are there, but it's way too slow.  I'd be very happy with "text only" (like Netscape used to have) too....

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2003, 05:51:35 pm »

> As for removing the 4th sort, just re-sort them again

While this may actually clear the 4th column sort mechanically (haven't verified), visually PixOS still shows that 4 columns are sorted (unless you have to close MC then restart). It becomes kind of a like a shell game to remove.

10-27

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 06:53:25 am »

In the next build:

NEW: Added "Revert to Default Sorting" and "Remove Sorting" commands to the "Columns / View" menu.

Hopefully that'll round out the sorting thing...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xen-uno

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 06:54:59 am »

Sounds like it...

Your a good man, Matt

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up