INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File synchronization.  (Read 637 times)

pablo_hp

• Recent member
File synchronization.
« on: April 05, 2020, 08:21:53 am »

When syncing music from my computer to the memory card of my android 8.0 phone, I noticed that some songs, after being sent to my device, went without the .mp3 extension.

It appears to be a bug in synchronization.
It removes the .mp3 file extension and saves the song, on the device, without the .mp3 extension.

Obs. I noted it on MC 25 and 26.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: File synchronization.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 08:59:08 am »

It appears to be taking anything after the first "." to use as the file extension.

Seems to be a bug, but you could test a few by removing the "." after Feat and test a few.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:24:53 am »

I don't think a period is legal in a file name on Windows, except for the period that precedes the extension.

If your files have two periods, you should probably rename them.

pablo_hp

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:37:05 am »

Good observation.

I put the extension, in several files that were left without the extension.

I have no problems with the files on the computer.
Even renaming tasks work normally.

The problem occurred after sending to the cell phone through synchronization.

It is something that should be evaluated and resolved.

In my understanding, it would be enough to copy the file and paste it on the device.

So, I wouldn't have this problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 09:40:04 am »

Make your life easier.  Remove any periods, other than those preceding the extension, from filenames.

pablo_hp

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 12:24:17 pm »

You were right.
The problem was exactly that.

I had to remove all the dots in all of my music files.
I had to rename all my music files.
I had to sync all the songs again.

But the worst is:
If the BUG is not fixed, we will have to be aware of all the songs that are added to the library. This is a lot of work. This is very hard. The likelihood of human error is enormous.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 04:50:16 pm »

Strange, I have a lot of music files with a period prior to the perid before the .flac file extension and I have had no problem with them in windows 10 or during synchronizing. Just saying what happens here.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:02 pm »

I don't think a period is legal in a file name on Windows, except for the period that precedes the extension.

A period is perfectly legal in a Windows filename. Just think about all those backup copies of movies you might have seen on a friend's PC, named similar to:

Ant-Man.And.The.Wasp.(2018).BDRip.x264-SPARKS.[tvu.org.ru].mkv

The Handheld Sync process should cater for periods. I thought it did, but I only sync music, and my music files don't have periods in the name.

References:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#naming-conventions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#In_Windows
Allowed, but the last occurrence will be interpreted to be the extension separator in VMS, DOS, and Windows.

The Period is also legal in Android.

However, if your memory card is formatted to FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32, then Period is not allowed, apparently.
Reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Comparison_of_filename_limitations

Reformat your memory card to exFAT, and all will be good.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 11:07:03 pm »

Yep, files with Periods in the filename sync fine to my Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9 phone, with the target an exFAT formatted 200GB memory card as a target.

Reformat your memory card to exFAT, and all will be good.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up