INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server becomes sluggish after a few days  (Read 812 times)

DeaneG

• World Citizen
Server becomes sluggish after a few days
« on: April 08, 2020, 03:58:01 pm »

Since changing my three PCs from individual ATSC DVRs to a single server with two clients, I have noticed that the server PC becomes sluggish after a few days of operation. The Win 10 desktop UI starts to stutter a little and the PC takes a noticeable amount of time to respond to Ctl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager. Task Manager reports CPU, DRAM, and disk usage all quite low and normal with no individual process dominating. All Media Center processes are whitelisted in the firewall. Is there anything I can check to figure out the reason for the slowdown? For now I have just set up a task to reboot the server daily at midnight.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Server becomes sluggish after a few days
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 04:31:19 pm »

You could try running Resource Monitor when the machine is in the sluggish state. It gives better detail than Task Manager.  That will help you narrow down which processes are utilizing disk/mem/cpu while it's happening.  You might also verify that you power state is set to full power, and that some automatic throttling is not going on.

From you description, presumably the system is immediately speedy after a reboot?

You can also try ending notable processes while it's in the state, to see if killing one of them immediately restores performance.  I imagine you already tried that with MC before posting this conundrum?

Are you running on SSDs or regular magnetic drives?

DeaneG

• World Citizen
Re: Server becomes sluggish after a few days
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 04:58:04 pm »

Thanks, I'll try resource monitor to see who is so busy. The machine is set to max performance, fans are at idle, disks doing nothing at the time. The boot/OS is on an SSD with all media files on a hard drive. Both drives are less than half full.

Hopefully it won't get down to killing processes until it speeds up, we'll see!
Pages: [1]   Go Up