INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does Theater View run at 60Hz regardless of desktop settings?  (Read 631 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

I was experimenting trying to reduce the delays associated with switch display modes, and I noticed something.

Theater View seems to run at 60Hz regardless of how I have my desktop refresh rate set.

If my desktop is set at 23, 24, 30, or 59, there is a delay and black screen as the display and card change modes entering and exiting theater view.  If I set the desktop to 60Hz, Theater view starts and exits instantly.

Setting the Default in Options->Video->Display setting to "Desktop Setting" has no effect on this.  Likewise, setting it to the same specific resolution and refresh rate as my desktop has no effect.

Theater View changes the mode to 60Hz when it starts, no matter what, and I see no option to change it. That's not really what it ought to be doing, is it?

I was hoping to eliminate the delay of mode switching when playing 29/59Hz content by setting my desktop and theater view refresh rate to 59 instead of 60.  This behavior makes that impossible.

Thoughts?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Why does Theater View run at 60Hz regardless of desktop settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 05:21:45 am »

Theater View uses the display mode set in Options -> Tree & View -> Fullscreen, if set to desktop settings (the default) it will not change when starting, unless your graphics driver somehow detects a fullscreen 3D renderer and does some stuff behind our backs.

Theater View is not directly related to video playback, hence the video setting not doing anything for it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

wer

Re: Why does Theater View run at 60Hz regardless of desktop settings?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 05:29:46 am »

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!   Thank you Hendrik.

I looked all over for a setting...   I searched the options for frame, fps, rate, etc and came up empty.  I thought I remembered there used to be one but thought perhaps it was removed like target framerate.   I didn't look in "Tree & View" of all places.  I guess if I'd searched for "theater" I would have found it, but why would I search for theater when it has it's own section...  ::)

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up