INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playing DVD problems (ifo, iso over network)  (Read 585 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
playing DVD problems (ifo, iso over network)
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:23:13 pm »

Trying to play a DVD that I have as a VIDEO_TS folder on NAS. When I play the ifo in MC it only starts one film on the disc (it's a multi-film DVD). I created an ISO and tried playing that but it starts "downloading 'internet resource'" which appears to want to "download" the whole file before playing it. What am I doing wrong?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: playing DVD problems (ifo, iso over network)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 11:31:21 pm »

For ifo's on a network if you want to use dvd menus your mapped drive has to be the same letter as the drive on your server.

Denti

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 08:08:23 am »

Is there a workaround if the files are not on the same letter drive?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 12:48:37 pm »

iso files need to be mounted. I think Windows needs whole iso file to be able to mount it - hence Windows try to download whole iso file from your NAS before mounting it.

I don't use DVD menus and rip all my DVDs to mkvs. But I do use BDMV folders for UHD that have Dolby Vision (until MKV can hold DV). BDMV use mpls files to specify playlis … I guess it is similar to ifo for DVDs.

If I want to do something like you for BDMV folders it will be as follow:

1. AutoImport - MC will find my BDMV folder and add it to library. [Filename] tag will look something like "M:\UHD_DV\1917 (2019)\DISC\BDMV\index.bluray;1". I will change that to playlist of one of the movies in that BDMV folder … it will look something like this "M:\UHD_DV\1917 (2019)\DISC\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00000.mpls" … I will then "Get Movie & TV Info..." for this item corresponding to playlist I chose

2. Run AutoImport again - MC will find my BDMV folder again and add it to library again. [Filename] tag will look something like what it was before "M:\UHD_DV\1917 (2019)\DISC\BDMV\index.bluray;1". This time I don't change [Filename] … I start playing this item … then right click and choose [Title] - it will list all playlist present in BDMV folder … I will choose one that corresponds to second movie (MC will remember this choice) … I will then "Get Movie & TV Info..." for this item corresponding to second movie

… Now I have 2 items in my library corresponding to 2 different movies (but located on same BDMV folder)

… I would imagine this will be similar for DVD except mpls files will be ifo

I read my reply … and its a bit confusing to read even to myself … hopefully, you will get what I mean … if not, just ask what is not clear

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Denti

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:25:58 pm »

Maybe this is too complicated. I don't even know what it means to "mount" an iso, and after that your instructions are very confusing. How did you "change that to playlist"? All I want to is to access the DVD menu. I appreciate your help, but maybe I should figure out how to rip these to mkv instead...

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 07:14:50 am »

Try makeMKV ... it’s free if you ripping DVDs and it’s lossless process

As for iso mounting ... iso files aren’t really readable by themselves ... you mount them to simulate CD player ... this format is not streamable (ie you need whole iso file before able to start playing anything)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 01:10:49 pm »

Is there a workaround if the files are not on the same letter drive?
I'm not aware of any. You can convert to mkv but you will lose menus.
Is there a reason you can't map a network drive? I have been playing dvd rips with menus this way for a decade without issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up