INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to add a link to wikipedia?  (Read 684 times)

Zaro

• Recent member
How to add a link to wikipedia?
« on: April 20, 2020, 03:22:28 pm »

I would like to have a web link to a Wikipedia page for each library album. I attempted to search through the Tag items but did not find an available line item suitable for adding a web link. Can you tell me where I might be able to add a [active] web link in the current organization of line Tag items, or possibly, can a new feature be added such that a web link can be inserted to a Wikipedia page possible located on the Albums screen?

Thank you in advance.
Zaro
Grass Valley, Ca.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to add a web link to wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »

Zaro

• Recent member
Re: How to add a link to wikipedia?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 07:50:16 pm »

Apparently to: Lepa,     MC Beta Team

Thank you for the pointer to ......yabb.jriver, I checked out Links/Links Manager and determined that this is way too much of a hassle and also it seems more generic in its search results rather than allowing for bringing up the specific Wikipedia page needed. Also, the description given on the reference seemed more appropriate for a programmer, of which I am not. Just give me a single line item where I can place a URL to a Wikipedia page and I'm a happy camper.

For clarification, I want to assign a URL to each album that takes me to a previously defined Wikipedia web page that provides the information I seek on a particular album -- hence, why I though having a web link line item in TAG list would be best.
Case in point: Frank Sinatra Duets album. If I no longer have the CD case or album envelope, determining who sings with Mr. Sinatra on one or more tracks is not doable, but having a link to a [previously assigned] Wikipedia page would bring that information with the click of a mouse on the link.

thanks again.
Zaro, using MC25

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 10:01:57 pm »

If you play an Artist, you can use the Wiki link (upper right corner) to get to the artist page at Wikipedia.

We might be able to extend that to land on the album page.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 03:57:02 am »

I'm just a user of MC like you.  :)
I spent a little of my free time to make these instructions for your case so hopefully you are willing to try it. I'm sure you can do it if you try and it only takes couple of minutes

1. Copy below code in to clipboard (e.g click Select and copy selected text with using right click and copy) This "code" will open wikipedia on same tab you clicked it. If you want to open wikipedia in a new tab or inside external browser then use one of the "codes" below instead of this one.
Code: [Select]
<Link version="1,2">
<Item Name="Name">Wikipedia (Album)</Item>
<Item Name="Action">0</Item>
<Item Name="Base URL">http://en.wikipedia.org</Item>
<Item Name="Search URL">If(!IsEmpty([Web Media URL]),[Web Media URL],http:////en.wikipedia.org//wiki//Special:Search?search=Hexify([Album])&amp;go=Go)</Item>
<Item Name="Filter">[Media Type]=[Audio]</Item>
</Link>

2. in MC Select Tools ==> Links ==> Manage Links... from the top menu

3. Click "Add" button

4. Click "Paste Link Information From Clipboard" and then click "Ok" button

All ready. Now if you assign your wikipedia link to "Web Media URL" field for album's files you can click Wikipedia (Album) Link above right and MC at will open wikipedia page. If there is no link assigned in "Web Media URL" MC will try to search album from Wikipedia.
(Optionally, you could also create your own field (tag) instead of "Web Media URL" if you like. Then you need to use that field in the link configuration instead of "Web Media URL".)

if you want to open it inside MC but in new tab then use this code:
<Link version="1,2">
<Item Name="Action">2</Item>
<Item Name="Search URL">If(!IsEmpty([Web Media URL]),[Web Media URL],http:////en.wikipedia.org//wiki//Special:Search?search=Hexify([Album])&amp;go=Go)</Item>
</Link>

This link "code" will open Wikipedia in external browser.
<Link version="1,2">
<Item Name="Action">1</Item>
</Link>

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 07:25:36 am »

Very nice addition. Thanks!

Zaro

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:57:44 am »

Apparently to Jim H and Lepa,

Many thanks for the information and step-by-step instructions.

The ability to "land on the album page" may just be the answer.

I will try the code additions in Links ==> Manage Links over the next couple of days in isolation.

Regards and stay safe.
Zaro

Zaro

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 11:49:09 am »

Apparently to Lepa,

This was easier than I would have imagined -- thanks to your excellent instructions.
Initially I created a Wikipedia (Album) profile using the code for an external browser window -- worked first time - excellent!
However, the Wikipedia web page [using Album for the search] returned generic information, not specific to the album.

So I got brave and changed "Album" in the code to "Artist" [still for external browser]. The Wikipedia results returned a specific Wikipedia web page with information about the Artist and in doing so, on the same page a link to Discography took me to exactly where/want I wanted -- a list of all the Artist Albums and details on each -- excellent stuff.

Thank you Lepa -- you made music listening during isolation heck of a lot more fun and my use of MC fantastic.

regards,
Zaro

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 12:39:49 pm »

Glad to hear Zaro and thanks for reporting back! I was sure that you can make it and it is especially nice that you got brave and also succeed to create what you liked. There is a surely learning curve in MC because it is so flexible but it will ultimately pay off and here in the forum there are plenty of people who can and will help if one gets stuck.

If you are interested in more links there are plenty of similar links in the thread I linked earlier and they can be Copy/Add/Pasted just as easily like you did with this one (Lyrics, Youtube, AllMusic etc.).
Pages: [1]   Go Up