INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange problem ripping disks  (Read 1795 times)

DaveMc

• Recent member
strange problem ripping disks
« on: April 24, 2020, 06:45:56 pm »

When I first installed MC it ripped disks fine.  Lately though it started indicating no audio files on the disk, first intermittently, and now alll the time.  I need some help with this as it is preventing me from ripping my media so I can play from MC.

I am running MC 26.0.30 on Windows 10 Pro 64 version 1909.  The BD drive is a Pioneer BD209D.  I have tried removing the device multiple times, put it doesn't seem to help.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: strange problem ripping disks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:49:38 pm »

Could be an antivirus problem.

Check the Windows Defender thread here.  Don't run any other antivirus.

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 06:57:29 pm »

I'm running Norton Internet Security, are there problems with that and MC?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 07:03:58 pm »

Try uninstalling it.

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 07:21:45 pm »

Okay, I uninstalled Norton but didn't seem to make any difference.

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 07:59:03 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion despite it not working.

What might be the next troubleshooting step?  Are there logs or anything to look at?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 10:15:02 pm »

Did you try a Google search on the problem?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 05:07:29 am »

I have also encountered similar problems when using MC26, and MC25, to rip discs even though my CD drive is internal.

If this is being caused by having any AV program other than Win Defender installed on "the PC where this problem occurs" I'd love to know why

MC26 - claims there is no Audio Files on the CD
Windows Explorer says there are Files on the CD
WMP12 - Not only says there are Audio Files on the CD it starts playing the 1st Track while doing a DB lookup to get the Tags etc
MediaMonkey - Also says there are Audio Files on the disk

Because I seriously doubt that AVG Internet Security is preventing MC from detecting that there are Audio Files/Tracks on a CD when it isn't preventing other programs from detecting that they are present.

But the problems I've encountered are not restricted to Ripping CD's because I've also encountered really weird things when Burning Tracks to a CD.
On more than one occasion MC has claimed there is No Disc in the Drive but lower down the screen it is informing me of the progress of the operation and the indicator lights on my CD drive are also telling me that MC is actually writing to the CD it is claiming isn't present ::)

After MC has burned all the tracks to the CD I've also seen this message "Logical Unit Not Ready, Long Write In Progress" in the Burn Progress Window and when I look down at the disc indicator lights both the hard drive and CD drive lights keep flashing. However, if I leave the cd in the drive, cancel the burn operation and switch from MC to WMP12 - not only has WMP detected that there is a complete audio cd present it has found that disc in it's database.

You can do what I did and use Windows Media Player 12 to rip your discs to a different directory/folder to the ones MC uses and then Import them into MC so that you can add any additional info/tags.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 06:15:05 am »

lmgtfy

A ripping problem that begins when nothing has been changed in MC's ripping probably has nothing to do with MC.

Antivirus can cause such problems.  It might allow one program and not another or even one MC build and not another.  Here's a partial list of antivirus problems:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

A Windows update can also break things.  That's why I suggested Google.

Englishtiger, please don't make this personal.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 06:25:24 am »

Two examples of antivirus problems, just a few posts away from yours:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125042.msg865893.html#msg865893

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 08:54:18 am »

Thank you

I spent a lot of time googling the problem using different wording and such but no luck, which is why I put the question here.  I am leaning toward it being a windows update (like they never cause problems, right? <sarc>).

The antivirus discussions are interesting but I think I eliminated that by uninstalling it and trying MC.  There was no difference. 

I am going to try rolling back the system to before the update and see what happens. 

Thanks again for your suggestions. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 08:56:27 am »

The antivirus discussions are interesting but I think I eliminated that by uninstalling it and trying MC.  There was no difference. 
Make sure you read the thread on Windows Defender and follow the advice there.

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 09:49:18 am »

The Windows Defender options are grayed out as it is off because of Norton. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 10:21:18 am »

Just use Windows Defender.

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 05:42:42 pm »

The problem is solved.

I uninstalled the latest Windows Update which was applied on 4/19 and everything is now working. 

Thank you for your help. This worked much better than many google searches.   :)

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 08:03:17 pm »

I spoke too soon. Windows installed the update again, so I removed it again but the problem is back. Uninstalled Norton and excluded the music folder from windows defender. Still not working. 

Now I am out of ideas.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 09:01:16 pm »

You should exclude c:\Program Files\J River in Windows Defender.  Do it twice, once selecting Folder and once selecting Process when hitting Add A Exclusion.  For Process exclude c:\Program Files\J River\*

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 09:14:29 am »

Thank you for the suggestion.  I tried that as well and no luck, but always worth a try  I have a backup of the machine from a few weeks back when I upgraded to Win10.  I am at the point that I think I will restore that and do the Win10 upgrade again, setting connection as metered so Windows 10 doesn't download all these updates all the time. 

I am convinced at this point that is the problem as none of these exclusions are fixing it.

It is notable that neither JRiver MC, EAC, nor a couple of other Ripper software I have tried sees the audio disk. I think I have proved it to be a windows problem now through testing with those.  Oh, and with putting the same exclusion for EAC as I put for MC per the comments.

We'll see if this helps. 

livingondogfood

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 10:03:23 am »

<snip>....It is notable that neither JRiver MC, EAC, nor a couple of other Ripper software I have tried sees the audio disk. I think I have proved it to be a windows problem now through testing with those.  Oh, and with putting the same exclusion for EAC as I put for MC per the comments.
We'll see if this helps.
When programs misbehave, I always check Windows first as it is such a large, complicated program. I'm no computer guru, but I do the following:
from a administrative permission command line I use 'chkdsk'. This checks the file system and corrects any errors. My music is on drive letter E, so I type 'chkdsk e: /f' without the quotes. I do the same on the drive Windows is on. In that case windows will say the drive is busy, do you want to do it on reboot, type Y for yes, reboot.

After that, for Win 10 at least, a copy of the OS is stored on the computer. If you, from that admin permission command window type 'sfc /scannow' what will happen is that Windows will compare the files in use with the stored OS copy. If differences are found, it will tell you corrupted files were found and it will fix them. It is possible the copy has corruption as well and it can be checked, but I'd have to look up how to check it. I've never found problems there any time I have gone to the effort of checking.

Also solid state drives periodically need the TRIM command run and hard drives need defragmentation, all available through Windows 'Defragment and Optimize Drives' application. If it is a desktop computer, it also needs to be reasonably clean inside or odd things can happen. I use a can of compressed air for electronics, usually "Dust Off" A can which is more than enough is about $10 CAD where I live and are widely available.
All of the above I consider routine maintenance, but I'll do it if there is weirdness happening as well, THEN I look at the software whatever the program happens to be.

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 11:09:25 am »

I had run both sfc /scannow and DISM with the restorehealth option on the system before blowing it away.  All said it was clean, but it did not help anything.  Both the audio CD not detected in drive and the Sound Settings being limited to only the Remote Audio with no ability to add anything else despite device manager showing the realtek sound on the motherboard and my sound blaster card. 

Between these two issues and the inability of any of the suggestions to work, I figured corruption occurred somewhere along the line and so am restoring from backup. 

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 10:31:43 am »

The restore worked. Ripping works even with Norton installed and running. I will try the upgrade to win10 next. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 11:04:45 am »

Good.  Can you summarize what worked?  Are you running Win10 now?

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 06:00:05 pm »

Not yet.  I need to get the time to do the upgrade.  It takes a while to download and I want to make it not immediately apply updates.  Once I am set for that I will upgrade and let you know the result.

DaveMc

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 05:42:37 pm »

Okay, I finally got the update done.  Ripping is working so far under Windows 10 1909.  I have set the connection as metered and also set Win10 to notify me rather than automatically download and install updates.

Here are my steps to resolve.

1. Used backup I had taken prior to my first upgrade of the machine to Windows 10 to restore the machine back to Windows 7. 
2. Installed MC under Windows 7. 
3. Tested ripping to make sure it was working and ripped several disks without any issues.
4. Set Windows 7 to notify before download of updates
5. Upgraded to Windows 10
6. Set internet connection as metered (this stops it from downloading feature updates)
7. Confirmed GP setting for Windows Updates transferred over (it did)

So, now I have a working MC installation on Windows 10 Pro with updates throttled so they will not break it again.

Thank you all for your help with this!

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up