INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complaints regardng the recent updates  (Read 1588 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Complaints regardng the recent updates
« on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:20 pm »

Hi there, I have two issues that I am having with the newer versions of MC.  Let me state that I love MC and it is one of the most frequently used pieces of software that I own.

Recently, I noticed a change in the TAGS system whereby once you choose a tag, the focus remains on the tag until you push the ESC key to remove the focus.

I hate this new feature.  It has resulted in me making several change to tags by accident and I for one think this is a terrible change.  Is there a way to change it back to how it was before or at least explain why this change was made.

Another issue that I have is that when you move the mouse pointer to a file, i can take up to 5 seconds for the file information to show up.  It used to be almost instantaneous.  It is now way too slow.

My last issue is that in the past when a file was missing, the cover art would have a minus sign (I believe) and I could then simply remove the file from MC.  I am often moving and deleting files and I do this outside of MC.  Now there is no easy way for me to see files that no longer exist and which i want to remove from my MC library.  this is quite annoying for me.

Dave

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Complaints regardng the recent updates
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:46:44 am »

Another issue that I have is that when you move the mouse pointer to a file, i can take up to 5 seconds for the file information to show up.  It used to be almost instantaneous.  It is now way too slow.

I'm seeing the same issue with the tooltip hover delay. It appears that sometime in the last few revs, the delay time was increased for some reason.

I searched the recent release notes but I didn't find any reference to this change so it seems it may be undocumented.  Went back to version 26.0.35 and the tooltip delay is back to normal so I'll stay at this rev until it gets addressed. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 07:57:27 pm »

There was some discussion about making it longer. Then some more about making it configurable.

See the Feature Requests thread.

Maybe some testing was done, and some code slipped into the release. It's currently about 3 seconds for me.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 08:28:35 pm »

I'd prefer the hover action return to it's faster state, also.  It's a little frustrating with the long delay.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 08:34:45 pm »

It should be about 2.5 seconds.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:20:51 am »

I Think having a configurable option would settle this issue.

What about my comments about the tagging issue and missing files?

Dave

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 10:39:04 am »

For me, it's 2 seconds on version 26.0.35. The latest version is 3 seconds which is a very noticeable difference if you use tooltips regularly.

So was the delay actually increased recently without being documented in the release notes?  That might clear things up a bit. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 10:45:34 am »

Yes. 

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 06:22:14 pm »

Hi there, I have two issues that I am having with the newer versions of MC.  Let me state that I love MC and it is one of the most frequently used pieces of software that I own.

Speaking as a pedant, I think you will find that you don't own the software. You have purchased a license that allows you to use the software.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 06:37:38 pm »

But it's OK if you feel like you own it.  Or not.

wer

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 07:05:04 pm »

I find the longer delay for tooltips to be an improvement. If it were an option so everyone could be happy that would be best.

What I find more problematic is the lightning fast delay on the flyout menus, like at the top of the file list.  That delay is extremely short, like a quarter second.  It's very annoying when using a touchpad.

I don't know why those menus were made that way, that they fly out as soon as you mouse over them.  It is not CUA compliant, and it always gets in the way.  Terrible, and without benefit.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 12:31:48 am »

My last issue is that in the past when a file was missing, the cover art would have a minus sign (I believe) and I could then simply remove the file from MC.  I am often moving and deleting files and I do this outside of MC.  Now there is no easy way for me to see files that no longer exist and which i want to remove from my MC library.  this is quite annoying for me.

Dave

Your claim that "Now there is no easy way for me to see files that no longer exist and which i want to remove from my MC library" is a false one because MC has a very simple way of identifying Audio Files that are in the MC database but have been removed (deleted) from the users PC - it's called the "Audio -- Task -- Missing files" Smartlist.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 03:13:15 am »

My last issue is that in the past when a file was missing, the cover art would have a minus sign (I believe) and I could then simply remove the file from MC.  I am often moving and deleting files and I do this outside of MC.  Now there is no [edited to correct the meaning] easy way for me to see files that no longer exist and which i want to remove from my MC library.  this is quite annoying for me.

Actually that function should still be working, if you have the setting "Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Display missing file image in lists (slow on network drives)" turned on. But it does appear to be broken. I no longer get the red icon with the white line through it as I did previously, when that setting is on, as shown in the attached image.

There was a change to speed up the process earlier in MC26. Maybe that broke something.

26.0.42 (3/27/2020)
7. Changed: "Tree & View > Advanced > Display missing file image in lists" will now be used in the thread that checks file existence (to avoid shutdown lags, etc.).

Of course, if you have the setting at the bottom of the Auto Import configuration called "Fix broken links" set to "Yes" or "Yes (protect files on missing drives)", then MC will remove any files missing from either just local drives, or all drives, when Auto Import is run.

Plus as EnglishTiger says, there is a standard Smartlist to show missing audio files, and you could create new Views or Smartlists that showed any missing files how you wanted to see them.

Regarding this issue:
Recently, I noticed a change in the TAGS system whereby once you choose a tag, the focus remains on the tag until you push the ESC key to remove the focus.

If I understand you correctly, you have clicked on a tag contents field in the Tag Action Window, and it is opened for editing. Then unless you remember to press escape, it or any tag you move to remains open for editing, so it is easy to accidentally make tag changes.

Well, there was a lot of discussion around how the new tag window should work, some issues, and some fixes to prevent accidental editing. If you search the forum you may find the discussion.

Anyway, there are two things you can do;
1. Click on the tag name instead of pressing escape to close tag editing. Clicking on the tag name now opens the tag for editing, and closes and saves changes. Much quicker usually, as you have your hand on the mouse and are clicking anyway.
2. If you accidentally edit a tag, Ctrl+Z immediately and the change will be undone. Be careful using Ctrl+Z though, as it undoes the last change, even if that change or the file(s) being changed aren't visible any more.

It is a slightly new paradigm. But not hard to get used to.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 12:36:55 pm »

Yes.

Thanks for clarifying. Can you tell us which version the tooltip hover delay was increased so those that don't want this change are aware not to update past this rev.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 06:33:44 am »

RoderickGI

You did a great explanation of the missing file image in lists that I was trying to explain.  Hopefully this will be fixed in the new version.  Thank you

I understand that a new Tag Window approach was developed.  While I can get used to it, I don't like it. 

re: Longer delay for tooltips - Given that there are what appears to be thousands of options in MC, maybe one for Tooltip Delay interval (e.g., 1 - 5 secs with option for delays of .5 sec) would not be a bad idea.  For me, 2 secs would be optimal.  the current delay is too long.

Thanks

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up