INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cataloging movies  (Read 835 times)

dhampny

• Recent member
Cataloging movies
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:43:24 am »

This is an edited version of a topic I posted in the MC 26 for Mac forum.  I decided to post it here also hoping that I might get a larger audience and someone who could respond to my question.

Is there a way to integrate a MyMovies database with JRiver MC 26 for Mac?  I have no desire to copy my DVDs and BluRays to my Mac mini or an external drive and import them into MC but I would like to catalog information about my collection.  I can do this in MyMovies but since I have all my music (installed on external drives) databased in MC I would like to keep my video information in MC also.

Is this possible to do?  I have searched the forum but had no luck finding an answer so I think it may not be doable, but I didn't want to give up without asking the question.

If this integration isn't possible is there a way to build a movie database externally and import it into MC for Mac?  From searching this site I've read in posts from a few years back about something called Data Logger and using it with an Excel spreadsheet but it seemed to be only usable with MC for Windows (think I'm remembering correctly).

Thanks.
David

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cataloging movies
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:29:16 am »

Well ... you can collect poster images of your movies ... and catalogue that ... create special tag to distinguish them from rest of your photos

EDIT: while above sounds simple enough ... downside is MC will not scrape info for your posters ... you have to do it manually

Another way ... create very small movie file ... and just use that for each of your movie
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 11:16:41 am »

or... just insert the discs. MC will look up the information pertaining to each disc and store it in the CD database. Once that's done, you just need to craft a view or views, that include said database and you should be off and running...

Try one or two and see what happens...

-marko.

dhampny

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 06:17:41 am »

or... just insert the discs. MC will look up the information pertaining to each disc and store it in the CD database. Once that's done, you just need to craft a view or views, that include said database and you should be off and running...

Try one or two and see what happens...

-marko.

Thanks to you both, tij and marko.  I'm going to give marko's suggestion a try because I think it might require less manual entry work on my part.  I'll report back.

dhampny

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:35:34 am »

I don't know what I'm doing wrong?  I insert a DVD and use the Import tool.  The imported information shows up in the "Recently Imported" playlist and in "Documents" but the only metadata shown is the Name "Video Ts" (regardless of which movie); File Type "ifo"; a File Size; and a Date.  There is only a blank thumbnail for Cover Art.

I feel like there's something pretty obvious that I'm doing wrong but I don't know what.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.
David

Edit: Does it make a difference that I'm using MC 26 for Mac rather than for Windows?

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 02:08:27 am »

Is the video_ts in a folder with the name of the movie?

moviename ( date)
-------------video_ts

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 02:20:20 am »

Edit: Does it make a difference that I'm using MC 26 for Mac rather than for Windows?
I don't think so, but someone better versed in both would need to clarify.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong?  I insert a DVD and use the Import tool.
Don't import. Just insert and let MC see the disc.

Are you familiar with view creation at all?

I'm pretty sure that MC only needs to see the disc. It will then add the disc to its CD database. This is generally not seen. To see the contents of your CD database, create a new view, on the root of the tree, and the "set rules for file display" should only contain ~d=c

Add pane categories for (at least) media type and volume name.

Your view could also, if you wanted it to, show combined results from the 'main' database and the 'CD' database. If you tried to play something from that resultant list that was on disc, MC would prompt you to insert said disc.

Once you've figured out how you want the results presented to you, you can tweak the view as you see fit by adding more filters to the "set rules for file display" setting or adding different panes to the view. Volume Name is kind of essential for this view though.

-marko.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 03:07:01 am »

As it's been years since I've actually inserted an optical disc, I went and found one of the grandkids old DVDs to see what actually happens these days...

Within seconds, MC spots the disc...

I 'Take no action' and press OK... which leads to...

quickly followed by...

I wait for the program to respond (which took five minutes). I don't know if there are options to turn off this analysis, and didn't look for any figuring that it was necessary if I wanted the entry added to the CD database, which it duly was.

However, it did not do the info lookup. It did correctly populate the "Name" field, and the "Media Sub Type" field with "Movie", so, a right click and "Get movie/tv info" did the trick...

-marko

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 04:55:06 am »

I tried it this way

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DVD_Ripping

works well for ripping. It also finds the data/info. But it doesn't save the movie name to the ripped location.
I had to rename it by hand on the left.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 05:32:07 am »

darky, that may well work satisfactorily for you, however, the OP has already stated...
I have no desire to copy my DVDs and BluRays to my Mac mini or an external drive and import them into MC but I would like to catalog information about my collection.
and so is not all that helpful, in this situation.

dhampny

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 08:15:38 am »

As it's been years since I've actually inserted an optical disc, I went and found one of the grandkids old DVDs to see what actually happens these days...

Within seconds, MC spots the disc...

I wait for the program to respond (which took five minutes). I don't know if there are options to turn off this analysis, and didn't look for any figuring that it was necessary if I wanted the entry added to the CD database, which it duly was.
-marko

Thanks, Marko, but when I insert a DVD MC does nothing.  I waited for 15 minutes.

I'll keep playing around with this. I do appreciate your efforts to help (and darky's).

David

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 08:28:14 am »

Thanks, Marko, but when I insert a DVD MC does nothing.  I waited for 15 minutes.

I'll keep playing around with this. I do appreciate your efforts to help (and darky's).

David
Maybe there's a Windows vs. MAC difference going on there. See how you're set under "Options > CD, DVD and BD > Autoplay"

Alternatively, and maybe preferrably, select the DVD drive under "Drives and Devices" in the tree... I see there's a "Get Info" button right there in the header.

-marko

dhampny

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 08:47:13 am »

David

I don't think MC is recognizing my external optical drive but I can't find how to make it do so.  It doesn't appear under Drives & Devices.  I even tried defining that MC would open when I inserted a video DVD (in Mac's System Preferences).  When I inserted a video DVD it did open MC but there is still no action after that and the drive still doesn't show up in Drives & Devices.

Is there a setting in MC that will direct it to recognize my external optical drive?  I've tried searching but no luck so far.

David

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 08:49:53 am »

my drive only appeared after I started riping. Not before.
(but you do not what to rip..I have no clue how to force it to be visible)

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 08:53:54 am »

dhampny

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:38 am »

I don't think MC is recognizing my external optical drive but I can't find how to make it do so.  It doesn't appear under Drives & Devices.  I even tried defining that MC would open when I inserted a video DVD (in Mac's System Preferences).  When I inserted a video DVD it did open MC but there is still no action after that and the drive still doesn't show up in Drives & Devices.

Is there a setting in MC that will direct it to recognize my external optical drive?  I've tried searching but no luck so far.

David

My drive does show up in MC when I insert a CD and I can play it with MC.  But still no luck with DVDs.

dhampny

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 11:57:24 am »

is this what you want?

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102782.0

Yes, darky, thank you.  Unfortunately, most of the threads relate to Windows functions only, not Mac.  When I tried actions described in the other threads none of them worked for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up