INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options and other windows still open too big and offscreen  (Read 4061 times)

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
Options and other windows still open too big and offscreen
« on: January 17, 2020, 04:47:29 pm »

Options opens too big to see the whole thing

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Options and other windows still open too big and offscreen
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »

The size depends on your settings and the resolution of your screen. Have you changed anything in MC or Windows recently to make that happen?

The dialogue is resizable now. Just resize it to fit, and you will get a scrollbar to see everything. Next time you open the dialogue it should be correct.

If not, post all your MC View and Font sizing, and similar for Windows Display settings. Or just search the forum for previous discussions with solutions.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 07:28:43 am »

No I've changed nothing except upgrading to 26. The problem has been there for months I just deal with it. I'm about done, if it's not that it's something else paying for upgrades is of little use.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 07:32:49 am »

Try the settings under Tools > Options > Tree & View for Font > size

Also under the View Menu, try Size > 100% or smaller.

Screen resolution in Windows may also be a factor.

We can fix this, but more information might help.

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:36:44 am »

I've done that a million times the font changes size all the time and yes I've tried View / Size that does nothing the windows still open outside the screen. The windows will not resize and I can't grab the top to move the window even. Yes I see the cursor changes to look like it will resize but it doesn't work!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 07:52:43 am »

What is your screen resolution?  Try setting it resolution lower (to test).

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 08:01:15 am »

4K I changed it to 1080p same exact issue, in fact it's now worse I can't access Options at all!!!

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 10:57:26 am »

So please explain how I am supposed to get to Options. Why would this program open windows so big? most of it being blank?

RD James

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 11:11:40 am »

Have you tried double-clicking the title bar?
I agree that MC probably shouldn't open windows larger than the display.

This is surely a DPI scaling issue, though I'm not certain what.
What do you have the Windows desktop scaling set to? 200%?

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 11:26:00 am »

I have the same problem and found a fix.

With Media Center open, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL at the same time.  Select "Task Manager".    Then click on the "X" in the top left corner of the pop-up box to close the "Task Manager" screen.  Don't end any tasks or even select anything in the Task Manager.

Mine reverts to the correct resolution.  I have to do this every time I turn my equipment back on as I leave Media Center open.  Nothing else worked including going into the NVIDIA settings and/or Media Center settings.  Media Center is the only program I have ever had trouble with as far as screen resolution.

My settings under Tree & View in options are: Monitor - Display #1 (default)  and Resolution: Desktop Settings.

Hope this helps.

DJLegba

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 12:02:22 pm »

You can resize any window without using the mouse. If you open the Options window and it is bigger than the screen, you won't be able to resize it with the mouse. In this case, press Alt-space bar, then S. At this point the cursor keys control the window size. Once you're done, press the enter key to accept the new window size.

If you prefer, you can press Alt-space bar, then M and move the window with the cursor keys. Once you have moved top of the window onto to the screen, press the enter key to accept the new position, then resize with the mouse.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 02:26:13 pm »

There is definitely something very weird going on with your PC. Your images show that MC is maximised, but it doesn't fill the full screen, leaving part of the Desktop visible at the top.

Try switching to the Noire Skin for a test, and see if that has the problem. You can switch back later. What skin are you actually using? Have you modified it?

Also, when we mention Desktop Scaling, we mean the setting in Windows 10 under "Settings > System > Display > Scale and Layout" which you should have set to 100%. Do you?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 04:01:47 am »

No it is set to 300% (recommended), 100% makes it too tiny it is a 65" 4K display. What you are seeing is a sloppy crop of a screenshot of two windows. I use two HDMI out from my video card one goes to the Pre-amp for audio one goes directly to the TV for video. I find this stops the dreaded blank and jumpy screen when playing back video and you move the mouse or something. I found Alt-space bar, then M and move the window with the cursor keys works best but it is no excuse for that issue still being there! Most of the window in Options is blank and yet it won't go any smaller. Stupid programming

RD James

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:35 pm »

There is definitely something very weird going on with your PC. Your images show that MC is maximised, but it doesn't fill the full screen, leaving part of the Desktop visible at the top.
I think that is a separate bug.
I've run into this quite a lot recently, since connecting up three separate displays to my computer and using DisplayFusion to switch between them (they are in different rooms).
Often times, Media Center does not restore the proper "fullscreen" behavior and ends up off the screen.

I have to "un-maximize" the window, resize it, and then maximize it again for it to fill the display properly.

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 01:57:42 pm »

Great but this isn't the whole window it's as if every time you brought up the Preferences for Microsoft Word the window was twice the size of the screen, then even if you can manage to get control of it the actual window WILL NOT CLOSE ANY SMALLER then it is and most of the window is blank this is a programming error.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 04:13:17 pm »

I know these problems are frustrating, but you should know you are failing the attitude test here...

I use a Custom Scaling Factor of 200% in the Windows Display settings on my 65" 4K TV, and that works fine. So I tried a Custom Scaling Factor of 300% and saw the same problem as you. I could maximise the Options dialogue and then use it fine, but I couldn't resize it, and the Alt+Spacebar Sizing method didn't do anything.

Now that I've played with it again I think I did try higher scaling factors than 200% when I bought the 65" TV, and found they didn't work. Same issues you are seeing. I thought all those issues, mainly driven by high DPI displays, had been fixed, but apparently not. I never went back to try higher scaling so I never noticed. I find I need to use 200% anyway for some of the other applications I run on the TV, so that I can see enough of their User Interfaces, so I have left it at 200%.

Anyway, I can confirm this is still an issue, even though there have been several goes at fixing it previously, in MC20 through MC 23, and specifically this issue in 25.0.40 and 25.0.41.
References:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120710.0.html
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111539.msg782500.html#msg782500

I guess JRiver need to have another try at making the fix universal, or at least making the dialogues resizable at any Custom Scaling Factor setting.

In the mean time you should be able to use the Options dialogue easily by maximising it, which shows the whole dialogue for me including the buttons, when using a Custom Scaling Factor of 300%.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 05:11:53 pm »

Just wanted to confirm that the Options window cannot be shrunk when a 300% dpi scaling factor is used. This was definitely fixed for a while in MC25 but has now re-appeared.....

It's a minor but VERY annoying issue which I think probably explains @boozemun's frustration and intemperate posts.

I also second @EnglishTiger request that the window should not extend below the the task bar area, I too always have the task bar visible and having the action buttons hidden behind the task bar is equally frustrating.

How about an 'Always open Option windows maximized' setting? I could live with that.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 10:27:06 pm »

...you should know you are failing the attitude test here...

Oh really? Maybe you should check out my other issues that I just gave up on and have never been resolved, and it's not like this current issue hasn't been there for years. Developers would know that MC would very likely be used in conjunction with a hi-res TV so there is no excuse... laziness

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 11:07:24 pm »

So I set it to 200% and yes you are right the Options window opens just within the screen edges, great but all the rest of my programs and icons are  impossible to read so I'll have to manually try and change stuff. The Options window still will only go down to a certain size then you can't make it any smaller and half of the window is blank (empty) and it will NEVER not be blank because that is all the options there are. So why in the world would you limit the resizing of a window especially when at that size limit it is half empty.? See picture attached the Options window will not get any smaller than this by dragging the edges, if you can even grab the edges, that game of cat and mouse I am REALLY tired of, another issue). Sloppy programming.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 12:35:45 am »

I'm sorry, you must be having a bad day.

Oh really?

Yes.

I had a look at your post history, since you point it out, and I see one thread with your most recent post on 15th January which isn't resolved yet, and one from October 25th 2019 that had no response, but you haven't bumped it either. All your other threads had responses and either resolutions or explanations, or you stopped responding. On the Critical Error one from January 15th there is no context for the error, so people just have to guess at a possible solution. You have to work with people if you want issues resolved.

Also, the current issue was fixed in MC25.0.40 and 25.0.41, but it seems to have re-appeared. I suspect you are the first person to point that out. So give JRiver a chance to fix it again.

BTW, I can reduce the size of the Options dialogue on my 4K HTPC with the Custom Scaling Factor of 200% down to a much smaller size, as per the attached image. Much smaller than the size shown in your image.

On my HTPC the edges of dialogues can be hard to catch and drag... because I use a touchpad which isn't very accurate. On my Workstation using a mouse the edges of the dialogue can be easily caught and adjusted. I would like to see the common corner triangles used to grab a dialogue corner and adjust its size introduced into MC though, as it would make things much easier when using my Logitech K400r keyboard touchpad.

I would love JRiver to fix every little thing that I find, and I too have issues that have not been resolved. But I understand that JRiver is a small team and that their product set is now quite diverse, so they fix what they can and usually what is clearly a software bug.

It took my question and 13 posts before the underlying situation was highlighted in this thread, that being the use of a Custom Scaling Factor of 300%. We got to that point, and confirmed the problem within 24 hours of your first post. In the software world that is pretty bloody amazing support. Particularly as your initial post consisted of a 10 word title and 9 words in the body. Were we supposed to guess your environment and setup? It may take a little while to get a fix, if JRiver are inclined to do so after the snide remarks in this and other threads. Try getting similar issues fixed in other applications. Ever.

In the meantime the simple solution is to maximise the Options dialogue when you use it. Then resizing or moving the dialogue isn't required.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 07:00:25 am »

boozemun is on a brief manners break.

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 12:07:52 pm »

In the meantime the simple solution is to maximise the Options dialogue when you use it. Then resizing or moving the dialogue isn't required.

Not sure you understand that the Maximize tick box is off the screen and there is no where to grab the Options window to even move it much less maximize it.

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:41 pm »

To whom it may concern,

Yes I was at Miss Manners holiday retreat. I apologize for my bad attitude and slight insults, but to be honest when anyone responds I don't really look at whether the person is a member or on the programming team. etc... so I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular just general frustration. I should pay better attention, though that may not make you feel any better, again sorry.

Please realize that I am at heart a Mac user and whether it is doing print layout or other graphic design, photography applications, animation, video editing, music, etc... I have always found Windows to be a frustrating platform. Way more crashes than Mac and WAY MORE viruses, too! I don't know how people get anything done AT ALL.  To this day, in Windows 10, I still find resizing of windows by dragging a huge pain in the ass. Or how about trying to slide the top columns in Excel to the left or right, or in pretty much ANY app,  you need a microscope to get to the right place to drag. It is like cat and mouse trying to put the cursor in exactly the right place....  so I don't really want to do it that way at all and that just added to the frustration. Most of the time the Options window opens too big and outside of the screen so there is no where to grab anyway. I Have to force quit MC and restart the computer HUNDREDS OF TIMES! As you can imagine it is...SUPER FRUSTRATING!

This happens on MC, too, and I suspect it has something to do with the resolution, but it's not the first time I've seen it, I've been frustrated by that for years on many different Windows versions. Added to that, every time I go outside of MC to look at my media drives in Explorer, and there are lots of files, there is a huge slowdown while the Windows green bar slides across the top like it is scanning it for the first time! Macs NEVER have either of those issues and never has... it's like the basic functioning of the computer and if they can't get that right how do they get ANYTHING right? Macs index in the background and viewing a list of any folder with any amount of files in the Finder is almost instantaneous and has been for years.  I also never have problems like grabbing windows, highlighting text, moving columns etc...on the Mac. I consider myself a better than average computer user and I have researched these issues with NO RESOLVE. I recently just wanted to add a size column to folders in Windows 10 and I had to get a separate app to do it. There is no way to do it in Windows Explorer! Are you kidding me? How can Windows still have these issues in 2020?!

So my rambling point is... a LOT of my frustration is actually with Windows... not that I don't have valid complaints about MC and will have more.  It just seems to me whenever I report a bug or some problem it's always something I have to do to fix, I've never heard something like "yes we know about that and are working on fix for next release", maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression I get. I also find the whole forum thing an awkward way to get tech support, for me anyway. Half of the time I give up or forget about it.

I don't need any help with those examples just venting. Thank you for your time. Sorry for being a jerk.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 01:42:26 pm »

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 05:35:00 pm »

Okay, thanks.

Not sure you understand that the Maximize tick box is off the screen and there is no where to grab the Options window to even move it much less maximize it.

No, I didn't, because two of your three images showed the maximise button, and the third looked like a zoomed image that I couldn't put context to.

Hopefully, JRiver will look into the 300% dpi scaling factor issue at some time.

I don't need any help with those examples just venting.

Fair enough, but...

Right-click in the column header area in Windows Explorer to add columns. No separate App required.

Update your "Windows Search Settings" to improve Windows Explorer search speed. Have Windows index everything in the background, the same as the Mac. That may not remove the annoying (I agree) green bar on every occasion, but it should help.

I used to get frustrated with Macs when I used them, or more specifically when I had to do detailed maintenance on them. I find Windows way easier to use and maintain.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 10:14:13 am »

I'm going to make a coming build of MC26 maximize the options window if any of the window coordinates exceed the monitor.  Hopefully that helps a bit with this one.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 12:16:46 am »

Hello, not sure if this is related in any way, but the only thread I could find that was close to the issue I am having.

I recently clicked full screen on the Tools/Options Window and then I resized it to something smaller than full screen and then save it. And then Tools/Options again and it is back at full screen. It does not remember its window size and goes full screen each time.

I am using a 42" TV screen and it is set to 1920 x 1080 resolution but I am using a Win10 custom scale set at 150%.

This is with JRiver 26.0.22

Thanks for any assistance.
Mitch

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 07:36:50 am »

Hello, not sure if this is related in any way, but the only thread I could find that was close to the issue I am having.

I recently clicked full screen on the Tools/Options Window and then I resized it to something smaller than full screen and then save it. And then Tools/Options again and it is back at full screen. It does not remember its window size and goes full screen each time.

I am using a 42" TV screen and it is set to 1920 x 1080 resolution but I am using a Win10 custom scale set at 150%.

This is with JRiver 26.0.22

Thanks for any assistance.
Mitch

If any part of the Options window crosses the 1920x1080 threshold, it will be maximized.

I did just revise the monitor detection code, so you might also check again once the next build ships.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 11:28:25 pm »

Thanks Matt!

Edit: 26.0.27 works as expected. Thanks man!

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 12:27:36 am »

Okay, thanks.

No, I didn't, because two of your three images showed the maximise button, and the third looked like a zoomed image that I couldn't put context to.

Hopefully, JRiver will look into the 300% dpi scaling factor issue at some time.

Fair enough, but...

Right-click in the column header area in Windows Explorer to add columns. No separate App required.

Update your "Windows Search Settings" to improve Windows Explorer search speed. Have Windows index everything in the background, the same as the Mac. That may not remove the annoying (I agree) green bar on every occasion, but it should help.

I used to get frustrated with Macs when I used them, or more specifically when I had to do detailed maintenance on them. I find Windows way easier to use and maintain.

Sorry I meant a column that includes the size of folders as well as files I had to install Folder Size, so no one ever needs to know the size of a folder in Windows apparantly

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2020, 03:56:49 pm »

Oh one more Windows annoyance. I have to buy a separate program to uninstall applications.

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 11:52:37 pm »

While I'm at it here's another...  Windows can't restart because shutting down is in progress.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2020, 06:59:06 pm »

While I'm at it here's another...  Windows can't restart because shutting down is in progress.

Why don't you start a new thread for these 'observations' re: Windows 'features'.

Posting to this thread can make it seem that the problem you originally posted about , which was fixed in 26.0.27, has either reappeared in a later build or was not fixed.

Thanks,

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 10:39:53 pm »

Because I was discussing it here previously. You don't have to answer me if you find it inappropriate

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 06:47:18 am »

It would be good to start a new thread if the topic changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up